Airfix Bf-109F in the MTO

I was planning on using this kit in the Airfix Golden Years GB, nut have decided to build this classic kit here instead! I have always felt that the RLM78/79 scheme was smart looking, so I am going to order some decals from Hannats for an appropriate scheme for either North Africa or Sicily. This kit isn't in the original boxing but I remember building it back in the 80s! 

Here are some photos. 

Airfix Bf-109FAirfix Bf-109FAirfix Bf-109FAirfix Bf-109F

Thanks for looking. 

• Like 9

Nice kit Grahame,

i built this kit many years ago to go with my 1/48 Spitfire, watching with intrest.

Made a start today on the 109. Assembled the cockpit ready for a base coat and also assembled the wings. Everything clean up nicely. Planning on building the bottom 109 of this sheet from Xtradecal, a straight forward North Africa scheme. 

X48169_1.jpg?t=

• Like 4

Airbrushed the cockpit with Humbrol 67 to represent RLM 66 Schwartz grau and inner fin and tailwheel with Humbrol 240 for RLM 02. Sprayed up nicely. 

109F

109F

109F

109F

Edited by Threadbear
  • Like 4

43 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Nice set of goodies there Grahame, the fabric seat belts a really nice to use.

Yes I like the fabric belts, I get on with them far better than etch. Made some more progress with the 109 today, some more pictures tomorrow. 

Edited by Threadbear
  • Like 1

A few photos of the cockpit. The cockpit was drybrushed and detailed with RLM02 Hu 240, Hu 33 and Hu53 and some Vallejo leather. Need to add some switch’s in red and yellow and I will call that done for this kit. The Eduard fabric belts were a bit fiddly, but okay in the end. Applied with Gator pva glue. Hopefully the residue has disappeared by now! 

Cockpit

Cockpit

Cockpit

Cockpit

Cockpit

Thanks for looking. Am off on holiday soon, so no more progress for a bit. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Back from our trip to Italy and a bit more work to the cockpit of the Frederich. The starboard cockpit wall needs a bit more work as I was a bit over zealous with the North African pigment. But I feel it is now ready for the assembly of the airframe. The cockpit was painted in Humbrol 67 and 240, drybrushed in 27 and 53 with dials in 85, Vallejo deep yellow and flat red. Eduard superfabric Luftwafe belts. Also used gun metal pigment on pedals, walls and gunsight. 

42346196821_3d86646345_b.jpg

27476742697_5fc9612fa7_b.jpg

Thanks for looking. 

Grahame

• Like 7

Good choice Grahame,..... this is an oldie but goodie (I remember ir being New in Woolies!) and you are doing an excellent job so far,

Cheers

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

Assembled the cockpit and fuselage and added the wings to make up the basic airframe. Filled joints with Tamiya putty and smaller joints around cowling etc with Mr Surfacer 500. I have to say this is going far better that my VCS-7 Spitfire in the Golden Age Airfix GB! 

27708695757_7b47049562_b.jpg

Grahame

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Haven’t done much modelling in the past couple of weeks, but managed to mask up for the theatre markings and canopy on the Airfix 109 this evening. Quite happy with my slow progress but I notice on the photos that the nose masking needs some more work. Photos never lie.

42147532715_356bcbde03_b.jpg

28180864997_a3900892bb_b.jpg

Thanks for looking. Grahame 

• Like 5