Mercedes Benz SSKL, Matchbox 1:32 plus scratchbuilt and 3d printed bits!

On 10/17/2021 at 2:49 AM, The Spadgent said:

She looks utterly fantastic. I can’t stop looking at those wheels. Brilliant stuff. 😍

John

Many thanks Johnny!

More progress, and a little more regression, over the past couple of days. The last steps now are really just gluing the details on. Fuel filler, oil and radiator caps have been added, along with the headlamps. That's where I swore a lot - I managed to break off the bracket I'd soldered onto the front chassis tie bar for the spotlamp. Consequently this model will not have a spotlamp! The headlamp rims were rechromed first, as they hadn't come out quite as well as earlier bits. Now they are shiny!

51618491745_475dfeb01b_c.jpg

51616786972_c261005e92_c.jpg

51617622391_ae510b0071_c.jpg

One for Tony @TheBaron

51617622376_cd9ba93802_c.jpg

51616786962_249977b147_c.jpg[

51618491920_7e5fb7c5c4_c.jpg

Steering connections added:

51616786892_6ce6a6f482_c.jpg

51617853243_a4e6e55a60_c.jpg

I also took a look at the kit windscreens. They were very thick and had moulding marks on them so I sanded them down and polished them with micromesh, followed by a bath in Pledge Floor Care Finish (aka Kleer)

This is what we are given in the box (on the left) and after sanding thinner (on the right)

51618280699_8ab2697c2a_c.jpg

That also got rid of the moulding marks! This one shows the thinned on e on the right. It's a lot clearer now the micromeshing and Kleer have been completed

51616786797_199042a8a5_c.jpg

The frame has also received a little attention - I filed out the bottom corners to represent the separate frames which allow each windscreen to be folded flat, and then rechromed it. 

That leaves the accessories on the running board, windscreens, stoneguards on the front mudguard mounts, and knock-offs to fit and she's done!

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

• Like 9

Those frontal shots are epic Ian and really show just how much you've nailed the reproduction of metal on the grille and those headlights. That windshield also immensely improved by your ministrations - this is going to look pure class when it's finished.

👏

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2021 at 1:57 PM, TheBaron said:

Those frontal shots are epic Ian and really show just how much you've nailed the reproduction of metal on the grille and those headlights. That windshield also immensely improved by your ministrations - this is going to look pure class when it's finished.

👏

Many thanks Tony, very much appreciated!

On 10/22/2021 at 3:47 PM, johnlambert said:

Great work, it's been a joy to watch.

Thanks John!

and.....

the final few bits got added this weekend. Stone guards on the front mudguard mounts, and the running board tool box and bag. 

51647410525_dd5b7ffc56_c.jpg

I also gave the new handle on the fuel cap a coat of chrome.

51645727817_ff46f6cf08_c.jpg

I should have done the same on the hood frame as the solder has a slight tinge to it. Never mind, too late now.

So on that note, I declare this one FINISHED!

51647410490_3cb21a6793_c.jpg

51645727852_7b9ba04ac9_c.jpg

51647410650_ea2beaf4b4_c.jpg

More pics in the FI section.

Many thanks to all who have followed along and given feedback, it has all been much appreciated (this was my first car build in over 35 years!).

It's far from perfect but I've learnt a lot about the different processes involved in building cars such as spraying gloss paints and the order of construction/painting which needs to be used to avoid fingerprints and/or overspray!

Thanks for looking in!

RFI here.

Ian

• Like 13

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello  ! I saw this Post per "Accident" , what can i say ? I think i throw my Dio in the Trashbin and search a for new Hobby 🤪

Very, Very fine Work, more Art than Modelling !

Only for Information , no Critics! The "Bag" was in Reallity a "Jerry"can, Miniart make such, but they are too small. And for Carrachiolas MM Car Matchbox made to much holes in the frame, also they drove on Dunlop Racing Tires.This was later retouched on the Photos.

Here is Carrachiolas Car in a Original Studio Shot after the Nuremberg Race 1931

1931nrburgringam19.jutfkwn.jpg

This Mille Miglia 1931 Shot was later retouched as i write

1931-mille-miglia5i3j7k.jpg

and 2 pics from the Victory at Mille Miglia 1931, the 2 Things before the Can where eventually Carjacks.

1931millemiglia2tskwa.jpg

1931millemigliaahjq0.jpg

I work also on this Kit, but mine would not be so good and detailed, . i'l go to recreate the Mile Miglia Winner, i think the overall look with the Spectators and the other Cars will be fine.

Kind Regards from Vienna !
Harry

Edited by Challenger77
  • Like 1

Many thanks @Challenger77 for the info on the Jerry can. Now you mention it I can see the spout. I deliberately did not add the race numbers and made this a generic car as I too noticed the error with the chassis lightening holes, but only after I had drilled them out!

Also notice the larger headlights on Carracciola's car.

Thanks Johnny, much appreciated!

Ian 

• Like 2