Could this Me 262 be of Walter Nowotny?

Sturmovik

I found this image while searching for Heinz Bär´s Me 262. I think it´s Nowotny´s aircraft because of the 8 in front of the cockpit and the yellow band behind it, said band was present on the Me 262´s assigned to Kommando Nowotny.

Notice that the aircraft has mottling behind the cockpit instead of a splintern pattern.

Edit: I added a second picture.

41940473131_f755d0de7d_z.jpg

41057053015_e8d0aebb4c.jpg

Edited by Sturmovik

That looks like a US service man in the cockpit & somewhere in the alps so almost certainly postwar. It has long been my understanding that Nowotny's Weiss 8 ending up a smashed heap after the combat that took his life.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 2

Well, this aircraft is definately not in good shape. The rear of the nacelle has been banged about quite a bit.

Having said that I don't know the details of Nowotny's last fight, so......

I also noticed the GI's Garand rifle leaned against the trailing edge.

DennisTheBear

Nowotny was shot down in combat with 8th Air force Mustangs in November 1944 over Nth West Germany, I would imagine that his aircraft was smashed almost beyond recognition. That's not to say the aircraft in the photo was not a Weiss 8 of Kommando Nowotny but a later replacement in the unit.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz

No, it's not his aircraft. The scheme that is usually attributed to his 'white 8' is totally incorrect. However, I'd wondered for a long time where that scheme may have come from, it's probable that it was based on these pictures.

• 2 weeks later...

Gents,

The above machine is Me 262 A-1 "White 8 S", WNr.500492 of JV 44 found at Innsbruck-Hötting, Austria in early May 1945.

The camouflage (overall thin application RLM 82 with large mottles of RLM 81) and markings (simple in-outlined hakenkreuz) styles are diagnostic of machines from the 500xxx werknummer series. Other photos confirm its werknummer.

Cheers,

David

Edited by David E. Brown

my mistake.  This aircraft was one of two Me 262s that landed at Innsbruck-Reichenau, a few kilometers east of the temporary airfield at Hötting where all other JV 44 Me 262s landed and were dispersed.

Note that the machine was previously with III.EJG 2 operating from Lechfeld, with the white `8`on the nose and narrow yellow fuselage band behind the cockpit.

Cheers,

David

• Like 2