1/72 Valom Fokker FVIIb/3m "Southern Cross"

Hello mates,

MOA's builds of civilian aircraft has got me interested in building some civilian aircraft.  I chose Smithy's "Southern Cross" as my first adventure into these planes.  I have had many hours looking through google images and becoming totally confused. 

There are plenty of pictures available, but you have to work out which picture belongs to what era.  The "Southern Cross" was built from 2 wrecks and it was rebuilt and rebuilt and rebuilt and rebuilt again.  

I have chosen to do the aircraft as she was when it was flown from the USA to Australia.  Should be easy, right.  

Box art.

DSC4241-1.jpg

Instructions.

IMG1.jpg

markings.jpg

IMG2.jpg

IMG3.jpg

IMG4.jpg

IMG5.jpg

Parts.

DSC4222-1.jpg

DSC4223-1.jpg

DSC4224-1.jpg

DSC4225-1.jpg

DSC4226-1.jpg

IMG6.jpg

IMG7.jpg

If anyone wishes to add any info to this build feel free to do so.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen

• Like 7

Looks like a nice kit Stephen, I suspect that it won't be a quick build however will be very rewarding once complete.

I drive past the original each day on my way to work and your timing is quite fitting, as we are coming up to the 90th anniversary of this historic Pacific crossing in a few weeks time.

Cheers and happily watching on... Dave

• Like 1

Finally an update. 

Spent many hours pouring over pictures from google images and finally chopped some plastic.  Filled the existing doors and started to rough out the windows and a new door.

My method for determining the position of the windows and door was to import a file into photoshop and using guides adjust the scale of the photograph to fit a measurement of the model's fuselage side.  I then printed the photograph and 

measured the positions from the print.

Windows and door.  Still need to be filled.

MG_3757-1.jpg 

MG_3758-1.jpg

The kit fuselage sides.

MG_3750-1.jpg

The 2 ovals shaped bits of styrene are the fuel tank ends and the cockpit bulkhead.

MG_3762-1.jpg

A mighty amount of work for a week. 

Thanks for looking.

Stephen

• Like 5

I'm watching this with much interest. Many many years ago I had a Frog Southern Cross. It was in the days when I first started modelling and could complete a model from start to finish in a few hours, paint and decals and all! I recall mixing the blue on this one.

This Valom kit looks rather splendid, but I imagine it will take some work. Although there is a lot of cleaning up to do on Valom kits, I do rather like them.

You seem to have made a good start, so good luck!

Cheers

Terry

• 2 weeks later...

A little bit of progress, had to get some building supplies from the model shop that is in Melbourne.

I am trying to replicate this as best I can.

Fokker-_F7b-3_M-_Southern-_Cross-_Cabin.

Here is my attempt.  This is my first scratch building project.  Fuel tank and radio equipment shelving.  I might have made some things a little too large, I don't think much will be seen.

MG_3766-1.jpg

Rudder bars and control column.

MG_3767-1.jpg  

MG_3771-1.jpg

Still have to make a compass and radio gear.  Hopefully today I can get some undercoat on.

Thanks for looking in.

Stephen

• Like 10

Quite like all that extra stuff - although I agree you will hardly see it, the whole research behind it makes the project so much more enjoyable. Good going. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

First time  I've seen someone tackle this kit, looking very good so far, a lot research as well, it becomes a bit more of a chore than pleasure sometimes, but the effort is really starting to show now

• Like 1

More progress and few pics to look at.

I still need to make some radio gear.  Had nothing to make these out of.  I didn't fancy laminating thin pieces of styrene together, more building materials to buy.

First up the fuel tank.  A bit of modeller's licence or my interpretation of the photograph.  I thought the green panel could be a chalk board, the round thing on the chalk board could be a fuel gauge and the black bit on the left hand side a light????????

MG_3772-1.jpg

The radio shelving.  A bit wonky looking but this is a fragile piece.

MG_3773-1.jpg

Compass.

MG_3774-1.jpg

IP.

MG_3777-1.jpg

Cockpit and rear of the cockpit, had to chop off the step to get the fuel tank in. 

MG_3781-1.jpg

MG_3784-1.jpg

The blue cast is a reflection from the blue background in the silver paint.  Radios, door and windows to go as the fuselage sides can be closed up.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen

• Like 8

That looks as if it is coming on well. Valom kits can a bit of a challenge, but they do produce interesting subjects and seem to be fairly accurate. The main parts seem to go together OK on the couple I have built, but some of the smaller bits can be tricky. Looking forward to see further progress. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I haven't forgotten this. 

I have made a door and installed the windows, cut out the skylight.  Nearly ready to close up the fuselage halves, but I seem a little reluctant.  I also need to make 2 chairs.

My radios on their wonky shelving.

MG_3928-1.jpg

A couple of views of the interior.

MG_3929-1.jpg

MG_3932-1.jpg

None of this will be visible when the fuselage halves are closed.

Thanks for lookin in.

Stephen

• Like 9

Mighty fine work Stephen.

I have fond memories of watching the replica Southern Cross flying around Adelaide a few years ago.  Not sure what became of it, I think the owners went bust and had to sell it.

Andrew

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andwil said:

Mighty fine work Stephen.

I have fond memories of watching the replica Southern Cross flying around Adelaide a few years ago.  Not sure what became of it, I think the owners went bust and had to sell it.

Andrew

It's currently under restoration by HARS at Albion Park in NSW. They have progress photos on their Facebook page. It looked good at the recent Wings Over the Illawarra air show.

Bob

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2018 at 6:17 PM, StephenCJ said:

Hello mates,

MOA's builds of civilian aircraft has got me interested in building some civilian aircraft.  I chose Smithy's "Southern Cross" as my first adventure into these planes.  I have had many hours looking through google images and becoming totally confused. 

There are plenty of pictures available, but you have to work out which picture belongs to what era.  The "Southern Cross" was built from 2 wrecks and it was rebuilt and rebuilt and rebuilt and rebuilt again.  

I have chosen to do the aircraft as she was when it was flown from the USA to Australia.  Should be easy, right.  

Hi Stephen

You are doing a great job.

Yes, not easy to sort out all those images and establish a timeline.

I posted here at Britmodeller a model also of the Southern Cross, but at a time a bit later than the momentous trip from the US to Australia, with a scheme that is less known.

By now you must have realized that the museum plane is a sort the sum of detail aggregations from several moments in the life of the plane, and does not exactly reflect a specific date in time, but it's in the general ballpark, if you are not a detail oriented person.

To modify the Valom kit is quite a job, given that the it is somewhat coarse and has certain imprecisions. I am confident you will do a magnificent job, and am looking forward to the final result.

Cheers

Edited by Moa
edit post
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...