Tamiya Mercedes AMG GT3. 1/24

Hello all. Just starting this one 😊. Had a go at CF decaling the seat. Using scale modelsport decal as although it's extremely fragile, it does bed down well. Eventually.  Still undecided about the final colour..... Tempted to go with candy orange scheme but I've not had much luck with zero paints.... Not too sure I like the idea of using toulene based paint either....  More to come soon 😊

2018-05-06_04-40-10

• Like 1

Bit of progress on the interior. Been working with the Vallejo metal color paints and primer. Finding them a bit fragile and actually managed to lift some of the primer with tamiya masking tape.  I'd left the primer for 48 so that was a bit of a surprise... The metal paints are easy to work with but again, easy to damage.  Will pop a clear cote on before decaling next time.  Currently fighting to get the CF decal to bed down as shown below:

2018-05-12_06-45-42

Bit more Microsol and heat will hopefully tame it.

Great looking seat!! Good job! That orange colour is wicked...I say go for it, too!

Is that the High def carbon btw? If so, that's why it won't settle. I've often found the high def stuff to be thicker than the normal twill weave and as a result it won't behave correctly. I would suggest covering the area in several sections, rather than trying to lay one large piece. Far easier on yourself and it will look much more realistic. If you look at carbon panels etc on the cars, they are made up of lots of pieces.

Metal paints are notoriously fragile and I've never really got-on with them, but I would HIGHLY recommend the Xtreme-metal series from AK. This stuff is durable...I mean REEEEEALLY durable.... even with the torch.

Cheers, H 

• Like 1

Hey Harvey 😊. Thanks for the comments.  It is indeed the hi Def CF from scale Motorsport.  Yeah, I think that might be a better solution re the sections rather than large peices.  I find tamiya metallics not too bad but I'll look into AK as well.

• Like 1

Finally got a can of TS100.... Seems a bit lighter than I was expecting. 

2018-05-27_12-53-36

The orange is also Tamiya.  Suppose I could strip the body if I didn't get on with the colour I choose. Choices choices 😊

Went with Tamiya TS100. Hard to say how close it is to the 2016 car but it seems not too far off.  The metallic flakes do appear a bit too big close up but the effect is quite good from a few feet back

2018-05-31_11-09-562018-05-31_11-10-54

Cheers 😊

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Been a while since I added any progress pics. Busy days 😐

2018-07-06_09-30-292018-07-06_09-30-02

Those decals are odd.... Microsol won't touch them and they are surprisingly fragile... Must be all this unusual warm weather? 🤔😊

• Like 1