HS 129 The Tank Killer , DONE!!!!!!!

Hi

I have decide to build Tamiya 1/72 scale HS 129 from unit operating in Tunisia.  Henschel  wasn't popular among the pilots due to its engines and lack of space in a cockpit. Germans couldn't develop suitable engine for this plane and the start using a French ones.  Those engines aren't the best and fail often. Nevertheless HS 129 was successful tank killer but mostly on the ester front. In Africa lucky for us do too a lack of engine performance in the desert environmental, the plane wasn't able to do much damage on allies tanks.   

This kit is repack from Italeri done by Tamiya on a bit better plastic. I will add Eduard photo etched parts and Decals from Print Scale 

dPRy3Ee.jpg

6ld51Ok.jpg?1

JtI7tf5.jpg

• Like 16

12 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Have a feeling you may need to replace the Mk.103 cannon shown on the box with a Mk.101.....Not sure what the kit offers exactly, which is a poor show as I have two of them.  :shrug:

Yes, I know.  The kit comes with  the  „Jaboschreck” MK 103. This gun was used from 1944, at that time DAK was long time gone.  But I will have to improvised on my own with barrel MK 101 because to get it made from resin or metal is impossible.   

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I'm so behind. Some people can build four kits 😀. So I said to my self "Do something about is" And I started working on interior fuselage, pilots seat and some control panels. Eduard's kit is excellent. 

IKNfYmX.jpg

'

• Like 6

I have completed a pilot  seat with instruments, I used AK RLM 66 paint.   This is very dark color, washes aren't much visible on it. But I had applied dark wash, anyway, seat belts were  panted light brown with touch of silver. All together came  quite nice. 

Eduard's photo etched works fine for me.

MKdU3dw.jpg

ew2WIsU.jpg

• Like 8

Ok, I finished working  inside cockpit area. entire seat piece went inside.   Fuselage inside was painted and attached together. This is really simple plain not much parts at this point but ... I can "feel" Italeri hand this model. The first sign is always amount of putty that has to go on it. Some panel lines are shifted on fuselage join line.  So is a putty time.  

Nacelle's back has gap, but all imperfections will be fixed by MR Hobby's putty. This liquid putty I  founded much useful and better then other ones. I strongly recommend this one to  you fellow modelers. 

GjGFJpy.jpg

kPAlKtq.jpg

SiUCtur.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Small update on the working progress. I focused on 30 mm MK 101 cannon. Since no one made it, no aftermarket kits, I had to build it form a scratch. For that I have used   TRUMPETER's brass pipe set to construct barrel and part from kit's cannon.  A good thing about this particular set is  possibility to put  one pipe inside another one, that way you can imitate barrels different diameters. For me it looks real enough, check it out. 

JfzOIgL.jpg

• Like 10

Congratulations on the Hurricane trophy, Franz.

The photos you took of this kit in an earlier post showed it to be an excellent build and truly deserving to be rewarded - well done.

This Hs129 is also coming along quite nicely, so you might have another award winner on your hands soon enough. 

Cheers.. Dave

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Congratulations on the Hurricane trophy, Franz.

The photos you took of this kit in an earlier post showed it to be an excellent build and truly deserving to be rewarded - well done.

This Hs129 is also coming along quite nicely, so you might have another award winner on your hands soon enough. 

Cheers.. Dave

Thanks Rabbit Leader, it is fun to build models. And it is nice if you get some reward for something what you  are doing for fun. But the best fun I have on MTO forum. Nevertheless I will try my luck in September's contest with HE 129.  

• Like 2

Hello,

Lower parts of the kit are painted in RLM 65, I used Gunze paint for that.  Before that  30mm gun was placed  under the plane, this "home made gun" looks pretty realistic  for me. 

Downsides of a kit's design is order of engine and cowling assembly.  You are forced to glue undercarriage before attaching cowlings, that will make in future difficult to paint undercarriage half  in the cowlings. Propellers also has to be attached before you glue engines to the wings, and painting kit with propellers on isn't fun.  In this case I have decided to paint engine separately and assembly it afterwards. 

oy1rCbh.jpg

0Jx2ibI.jpg

• Like 5

Looks a really nice build, I think the 30mm looks excellent. I never knew they used this type in the MTO, will have to do some research.

Davey.

Edited by DaveyGair

Hello 

I have done a small progress with my kit. Just painted lower part with RLM 65 and upper with RLM 71.  Not much. 

5HO5xzt.jpg

nWtljp7.jpg

cnLU3gq.jpg

tDMmVgg.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Jockney.  I didn't know that kit even existed.  Who made it?  

About a gun, you have to get COW 30mm cannon's shop drawings or very good picture. Next buy Trumpeter's set and put is together. Good thing about the set is possibility to slide one pipe to another. use super glue or solder whole  thing .  

https://www.ebay.com/p/Trumpeter-Master-Tools-20cm-Brass-Pipe-Set-3-dia-1-1-1-4mm-Copper-09944/1872889205

• Like 1