10thC Viking

I don't think anyone has noticed that your glorious GB Leader and instigator of this '10' GB has not actually contributed a build

Here is my build.

A 10th century Viking

I bought this off ebay a couple of months ago. Its incomplete, but has some spare parts.

10thC%20Viking%2C%2001s-M.jpg

10thC%20Viking%2C%2002s-M.jpg

Not many parts to put together

The proper base was missing so I'll use this one. I have some glass domes & bases for my single figures, such as this one

10thC%20Viking%2C%2003s-M.jpg

Work commenced last night. Virtually no clean up of the parts was needed

First thing was to dill out the arm joint for a wire pin. Normally white metal is soft and just a few turns of a finger drill is enough to make a hole but this is hard metal and I had to use a full size power drill!. The sculptor has placed the arm joint just where his bernie ends so there is no modelling needed to cover the joint

10thC%20Viking%2C%2004s-M.jpg

He also got a wire pin into his foot, both for mounting him to the base and a grip for during the painting

10thC%20Viking%2C%2005s-S.jpg

I used gel superglue to stick his arm on, its gap filling. Also stuck on his sword scabbard and seax

10thC%20Viking%2C%2006s-M.jpg

10thC%20Viking%2C%2007s-M.jpg

10thC%20Viking%2C%2008s-M.jpg

Last thing yesterday night [actually  the very early hours of this morning] was to slap on a coat of matt black enamel as primer/undercoat.

I'll leave that to fully dry today then start on the colours. Eyes first, I always do eyes first, then face. Hair is usually last

10thC%20Viking%2C%2009s-L.jpg

I'll clean off that over-painting on the sword blade, polish up the bade and clear lacquer it. Its nicer than painting it with any silver paint.

Just a few hours over a week left to the end of the GB is absolutely loads of time to get this chappie all fancied up in his going-to-a-monk-roasting duds

This figure has a bit of 'Games of Thrones' fantasy to his look; I intend to paint him up as he would have really looked

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Great result, BK, and well done for sticking out to the finish. This looks very realistic - must be the face colouring etc. - like he's looking around for the next opportunity for plundering! Cheers again for a great GB - I enjoyed it immensely and hopefully '115 will be finished fairly shortly. Mike

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Found this chap hiding in a small plastic box on one of my MU shelves. 

Since the above photos I had done some more painting and last night I did a lot more detail painting and got him on to the prepared base.

10th%20Century%20Viking%2C%2001s-XL.jpg

10th%20Century%20Viking%2C%2002s-XL.jpg

10th%20Century%20Viking%2C%2003s-XL.jpg

10th%20Century%20Viking%2C%2004s-XL.jpg

10th%20Century%20Viking%2C%2005s-XL.jpg

10th%20Century%20Viking%2C%2006s-S.jpg

• Like 1