Gulf war RAF Tornado

Joeltc

So after seeing all the recent photos being posted on the Mach Loop Facebook page I’ve decided to pull the trigger on a 1/48 Revell GR.4. I also ordered some decals for some jets in desert pink including the infamous Foxy Killer. 

Since I’m no expert on the type my question is what’s out there as far as walkaround/ photo reference books and online. Also I’m thinking of getting the CMK cockpit but it’s designed for the IDS. I would like to know if there’s any deference’s between the IDS and GR.4 cockpits? And I’m also thinking about getting the Eduard wheels since I’ve read the kits ones aren’t that great. But the wheels are also meant for the IDS too. Any info and links are greatly appreciated. Cheers..

Hi Joeltc,

If you want to make a Gulf War vintage Tornado, you will have to backdate the kit to a GR.1, not an IDS. Or would you like to build GR.4 ZG730 XV(R) Sqn, which was painted in Desert Pink to commemorate 25 years since Desert Storm? ZG730 even flew the Mach Loop in this livery.

If your fancy is a GR.1, take a look at the Eduard set designed for the Hobbyboss cockpit, and compare the panels etc. with those in the Revell kit to see differences between a GR.1 and a GR.4. A little fettling might even see this set fit the Revell kit cockpit.

The CMK ejection seats are little beauties if you do not want to use the kit ones.

My Tornado library is hiding in a box somewhere, so I can't give you any useful ISBN numbers for the time being, I'm afraid.

Hi there,

as far as modelling the Tornado, you could try the Tornado Special Interest Group (SIG) here:  http://www.tornadosig.com/modelling-the-tornado.html

And there are plenty of walkround pics here on Britmodeller - https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/71270-panavia-tornado-gr1-gr4 is one such thread, there are others in the walkaround section.

(And as Steve has pointed out) Foxy Killer (ZA465) was a GR-1 at the time of the Gulf War/ Op Granby in 1991, so it was closer to an IDS cockpit than that of the GR4 which had significant differences. (The GR4 loses the central circular "Moving Map" display, for example) 

Happy hunting!

Cheers,

Troffa