Dornier Do 17Z-3 1/72 ICM

Hi fellow Britmodellers,

this latest addition to my World War 2 Finnish AF collection and since the fighter force is almost completed (having the G.50 and H.75 in the paint shop), I focused my attention to the bombers. The ICM kit is well detailed and went together fairly quickly without major troubles. I used OWL conversion to Z-3 version, which featured the extended ("potty") camera cover and decal sheet for DN-64 from LeLv 46 from around January 1943. Photos show the card emblem being painted on both side of the nose, so I had to source the second one from my spares as it was omitted on the decal sheet. Painted freehand with Gunze Aqueous and kept the weathering to minimum as she looks on period pictures in almost pristine condition.

Cheers

Libor

41204475104_aa5dfb6572_o.jpg

41922508181_b7d6b9c1b5_o.jpg

28051359218_76c4f7ee85_o.jpg

41922508051_2b7814e7fb_o.jpg

28051359088_0db5210cfa_o.jpg

• Like 62

Wow superb!

Just got that pesky Swastika a bit wonky on the underneath......believe me decals and canopies are not my friends  lol!!

Great version congrats

Cheers

Bruce

• Like 1

Libor,

another beautiful model from your factory!

That winter camoflage looks very nice.

As mentioned by Winenut one of the underside swastikas is slightly out of line.

A minor slip-up though, that does not distract from the overall quality!

Looking forward to your G-50 in Finish colors.

Libor,

Outstanding build! Perfect winter camouflage and weathering, too. My very favorite WW2 air force, too! Looks like the ICM Dorniers are the ones to get in 1/72! Well done!

Mike

Good job!

I'm building the Z-10 at the moment and I've found it good to build apart from the nacelles, which didn't go together so well. I'd say apart from the nacelles it's a better kit than the recent Airfix Do17Z-2. I also have the Do215B-4, hopefully with the different engines, the nacelles won't be so bad.

thanks

Mike

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JWM said:

Very nice! I think the DN-64 was the last plane acting in Lapland War...Scrapped in 1952!

Cheers

J-W

Right Jerzy, with 486.50 flying hours the most active machine amongst Finnish Dorniers.

11 hours ago, Mikemx said:

Good job!

I'm building the Z-10 at the moment and I've found it good to build apart from the nacelles, which didn't go together so well. I'd say apart from the nacelles it's a better kit than the recent Airfix Do17Z-2. I also have the Do215B-4, hopefully with the different engines, the nacelles won't be so bad.

thanks

Mike

I agree Mike, the nacelles seem to be little bit over engineered with an odd assembly sequence . Anyway, I would rate this kit higher than the Airfix kit also for variety of available versions. Good luck with 215B-4!

54 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Very nice indeed.

I built the same one from the 1/48 ICM kit and used the SBS decal sheet, it is a great scheme and you have done a fantastic job on it.

I follow the SBS sheets too, they are of fantastic quality and makes really good job on covering the Finnish subjects.

Cheers

Libor

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Redboost said:

Right Jerzy, with 486.50 flying hours the most active machine amongst Finnish Dorniers.

I agree Mike, the nacelles seem to be little bit over engineered with an odd assembly sequence . Anyway, I would rate this kit higher than the Airfix kit also for variety of available versions. Good luck with 215B-4!

I follow the SBS sheets too, they are of fantastic quality and makes really good job on covering the Finnish subjects.

Cheers

Libor

I'd quite like them to tackle the Do217, there's plenty of Do217 variants for them to have a go at!

thanks

Mike

51 minutes ago, Redboost said:

Let's hope for it, Do 217 would definitely deserve a new tooling!

Cheers

Libor

1 hour ago, Mikemx said:

I'd quite like them to tackle the Do217, there's plenty of Do217 variants for them to have a go at!

thanks

Mike

I think they are due to release a Do-217N-1 later this year.

Craig.