Wright Flyer 2 in 1:16th scale.

As much as possible I want to avoid this, big blobs of glue at the joint of the ribs and spar. I am surprised that the brothers didn't put a small piece of wood on either side of the ribs for a stronger joint as is done today. the extra weight would be negligible.

Edited by John W Reid

I nailed the spar to the stringer below using small nails, do not glue but create small shelves on either side of the spar upon which I rest the ribs while being glued to the spar. The nail holes will later be filled with a drop of water. I use straight pins to hold the rib straight at a 90 deg angle to the spar. None of this is explained in the booklet. I think that the manufacturers are being very short-sighted. Any kid thinking of trying a model like this would be very frustrated by this and may never come back to the hobby.

Edited by John W Reid

I carefully clean up any excess glue at the joints with a straight pin and check once in a while by slightly moving the spar to see that nothing is sticking. Strait pins are great for holding the ribs perpendicular to the spar. I add two in the middle first and two more at both ends. I made the mistake of having put on a few ribs backward, keep checking that the thick end is towards the leading edge.

Be sure to use only white glue as it will be clear when dry, carpenters glue will stay a little yellow which you don't want.

Edited by John W Reid

The fore part of the wing, trailing edge is next. Fiddley work but fun. You have to have a steady hand for this one. I wonder how the real wing was constructed certainly not using butt joints, you would think that they would have used cap strips to strengthen the wing.

Edited by John W Reid

• John W Reid changed the title to Wright Flyer 2 in 1:16th scale.