Wright Flyer 2 in 1:16th scale.

I now have reached the point where I figure that I have done my research as best I can and now I can concentrate on building. If anything else pops up along the way and it cant be changed I will leave it to artistic license. Here is what I know so far the basic flyer design was retained with not much visible change until the later design of the Flyer 3.As a modeler this is all I really need to know in order to start building.I'll start with the wings as everything else is built around them. Years ago I had built them for a Backyard Flyer diorama. They were cut off short and incorporated into a Wright/Curtiss design of my own making. Putting myself in the shoes of an aviation enthusiast of the era when anything was possible. I will build this model as an aircraft first and then later as part of a diorama.

Edited by John W Reid
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Azgaron said:

Looking forward to see your build! :)

Håkan

I am planning something a little different this time. Rather than a large rectangular piece, this one will be made to sit on a shelf. I haven't quite figured out the composition yet but the overall design will be longer and narrower than past dioramas. The wingspan will be cut in half with half inside the shed and half out. The control surfaces will be detached in order to accommodate a reasonable width for a shelf composition. I would love to find a way to light the inside portion of the shed half. I have used a lot of artistic license in past dioramas such as opening roofs so the viewer can see inside or even removing a complete wall.

Edited by John W Reid

Those artistic licenses works very well when it comes to displaying the model! :)

Håkan

12 minutes ago, Azgaron said:

Those artistic licenses works very well when it comes to displaying the model! :)

Håkan

Yes, I think that is a good tradeoff between reality and art for the viewer to get more involved with the piece. 

The instruction booklet that comes with this kit is terrible. Absolutely no step-by-step, your left to figure it out for yourself I found a lot of great pics on the web which helped a lot and a few videos.If this was a first-time build for a new modeler God help him. I hope that I can help rectify the situation by posting this as a step-by-step build with lots of pics.

After opening the box the first thing that I did was spray lacquer the wings on both sides while they still in one piece. I hate glue marks on wood. The ribs come with various amounts of char on them from the laser cutting but usually only on one side. I sprayed both sides but I think that I should have sanded the ribs before spraying as it will make it harder to get rid of them now too anxious to get to get started I guess. First mistake but there will be more!

The pics I got off the web are somewhat out of focus, unfortunately.

Edited by John W Reid

I am not trying to get up Model Expo's rear end here, in fact, I have built all of their Model Airways kits some twice but the instruction booklets have always been a letdown except maybe for the Jenny.

Edited by John W Reid

Looks like they assume some kind of experience, before starting with their kits.

Håkan