This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

1 hour ago, modelman182 said:

Ha ha - touché, sir. In all honesty, it's a bit small to be of any use. It's a 'Starter kit' from the people who make castle kits using ceramic brickwork (they also did the Stonehenge I built last year).

The card is simply a template. The bags at the back of the pic are (from L to R) individual bricks [or perhaps stones would be a better description], roof tiles, paving slabs and static grass.

Building it for my LMS to display as he stocks a few of their larger kits.

Nice work on the window frame. Damn, that brush is coming in awfully handy, isn't it? 🙂

Kev

Hi Kev,

I did notice the bags of 'stones' after posting my comment. I suspect they'd come in handy for anyone building a diorama. I will have to have a look on t'internet. What's the manufacturer's name? And don't say 'Brian.'

Yep, the broom was a fantastic buy. I look forward to discovering what else I use the bristles for!

Rearguards,

Badder

Hi Badder. Just been catching up with your progress and it looks to progressing 'relatively' smoothly!! Yet more amazingly realistic effects throughout! :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

29 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Badder. Just been catching up with your progress and it looks to progressing 'relatively' smoothly!! Yet more amazingly realistic effects throughout! :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix,

No major disasters as such, just the usual changing of mind, re-doing bits, and general fooling around with experiments! The problem with these ruined buildings is resisting the temptation to actually build a complete, intact buidling!  There are some sections which look finished, but will get 'knocked down' in the future. That's either going to be fun...... or terrifying!

Rearguards,

Badder

6 hours ago, Badder said:

I did notice the bags of 'stones' after posting my comment. I suspect they'd come in handy for anyone building a diorama. I will have to have a look on t'internet. What's the manufacturer's name? And don't say 'Brian.'

Brian? Oh no - I would never say him - he's a very naughty boy! 😉  (and he isn't the Messiah!)

The manufacturer is Aedes Ars - here's a link to their site: http://www.aedesars.com/home

My local model shop stocks a few of their kits and I know that they're available through Amazon and a few other online retailers.

Cheers

Kev

I skipped a few steps in the photos here I'm afraid, basically because the painting and weathering was a quick process.

hCPoOAB.jpg

FztjzeN.jpg

First I removed the graphpaper. I then painted the entire window frame with pale blue and carved grain patterns into the wood where I wanted to show rot. Brown was then applied to most of these areas and then washed off to a greater or lesser extent.  I CA'd panes of glass to the backs of the frames. (Not individual panes, but two rectangles cut from a piece of merchandise packaging) and dirtied the glass with a wash of brown.

When it came to fixing the window casemnt in place I deliberately left the top piece of wood off. I have the original part though and this will be fitted in a 'fallen off' position.

CLYECMt.jpg

I still haven't carved the stonework around the window. That's because I'm not happy with the surround. I will probably end up replacing it with a slimmer version.

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder

Not much progress on Tuesday due to 'falling asleep at the drop of a hat' which is nowadays customary!

What I did manage to do (not in my sleep) was set about making another window frame, which just needs the .... er.... the er... what's the bits that go across windows and support each individual pane called? Anyway, them.

Oh, and I also ripped that window surround off that I grumbled about in the previous photo.

If I can stay awake long enough later today, I will hopefully have a few more windows done and fitted. I won't fit every window though as I tend to use the empty window apertures as handles to pick the blooming thing up!

TFL

Badder

3 hours ago, Badder said:

what's the bits that go across windows and support each individual pane called?

Mullions?

2 minutes ago, bhouse said:

Mullions?

Yep - mullions.

Badder, here's a link to a page with an 'Anatomy of windows' : https://www.pella.com/glossary/window-anatomy/

That should give you the majority of the terms for them 🙂

Kev

8 hours ago, modelman182 said:

Yep - mullions.

Badder, here's a link to a page with an 'Anatomy of windows' : https://www.pella.com/glossary/window-anatomy/

That should give you the majority of the terms for them 🙂

Kev

8 hours ago, bhouse said:

Mullions?

Thanks chaps,

It was on the tip of my tongue, but at 2.30am-ish I couldn't be bothered to google it.

Luckily I don't need to make millions of mullions.

Rearguards,

Badder

Hmmmm. Fell asleep again! Grrrr!

Got another winow nearly finished though.  Dry-fitted here and still needing some rotting. And and dust/fluff removal.

Gx8ySqh.jpg

TFL

Badder