PIT STOP. click on link on my 'signature' for vids

3 hours ago, kpnuts said:

Superb(I keep using that word on your stuff, think I might change your name to superb)

Hi and thanks KP,

I've been called a lot of things, but never 'superb'!:lalala:

If my work is superb, it's only because I take 2,3,4,5,6 or more attempts at most things until I get them right, or close to right anyway!

Rearguards,

Badder

Mate I just don't have that much patience or skill, i love looking at work like this knowing I will never achieve it I do things once, maybe twice if it don't work by then it's bin time. I really admire your tenacity and patience.

• Like 1

Just catching up with this one, and congrats on adding to the rich tapestry of the English language with your old and new acronyms, we will of course probably forget what it is when next we encounter it, but it's out there now, I can imagine 100 years from now a University Lecturer referring to it to new Engineering students.

Your building in scale is just as hard as the real thing, and the fact that most of what you have used is recycled simply outstanding, I think I'm going to be mildly disappointed when you start on the Sherman, or perhaps you are going to scrub that idea and add a Panzer IV, from that GB.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kpnuts said:

Mate I just don't have that much patience or skill, i love looking at work like this knowing I will never achieve it I do things once, maybe twice if it don't work by then it's bin time. I really admire your tenacity and patience.

When I first discovered that I liked WWII AFV  models, in the mid-70s, I was impatient as hell, often not even bothering to wait for one coat of paint to dry before applying another. That did throw up some interesting effects though. (We're talking enamels here - acrylics were only just appearing at that time) I could build and paint a model, within a week, with wet and dry-brushing being the most 'advanced' techinques of that time. (Well, that's how I remember it, anyway) I did have the patience to remove seam lines, flash etc, and it wasn't uncommon for me to paint, remove paint (with thinners) repaint, remove paint, mix paint on the model, and end up with something 'okay'.

I binned most of my models after they'd been sat on a shelf for a while, as my modelling skills improved and I redefined my earlier attemps as 'rubbish'.  In fact I ended up with just the one - a Tamiya SdKfz 222 armoured car in desert camo. I believe that still resides in my parents' loft.

But by the late 70's I gave up making models and didn't return to model-making until a few years ago. I say that, but a post reminded me that I did actually buy a Ferrari 2000 F1 kit about 15 yrs ago.

I say all this because the fact is I always wanted to make ONE 'perfect model' and place it in a 'perfect' diorama, and whilst there was a big gap between my forays into the hobby, I think my early days gave me a good founding, teaching me a few lessons. Like, it's okay to try several times to get something right, if it's worth doing, it's worth doing to the very best of one's capabilities, and one will never reach perfection.

The closest I've come to that is my Sherman Easy Eight, for which this diorama was intended. There are some bits that could be better on that model - the kit bags for example could have been painted better - I lost the 'brass' buckle effects due to overzealous re-painting, but that model has been sat on a shelf for over 6 months and whenever I look at it I think - blimey! Did I really make that? Whatever, that build took over 6 months (including scratching upgraded armour) and it deserves a great diorama to sit in. Hence the time I'm spending on this one.

Also, I reckon I have two 'large dioramas' in me, before I pop my clogs! So, again, I'm doing the best I can!

I do wish I could work faster and produce good stuff straight off, first attempt, but I'm afraid I am NOT that skillful! I do envy those who can!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Graeme H said:

Just catching up with this one, and congrats on adding to the rich tapestry of the English language with your old and new acronyms, we will of course probably forget what it is when next we encounter it, but it's out there now, I can imagine 100 years from now a University Lecturer referring to it to new Engineering students.

Your building in scale is just as hard as the real thing, and the fact that most of what you have used is recycled simply outstanding, I think I'm going to be mildly disappointed when you start on the Sherman, or perhaps you are going to scrub that idea and add a Panzer IV, from that GB.

Hi Graeme, and thanks!

Earlier in this thread, I thought I'd invented the word 'horizontality' but it turns out that's already in the dictionary. 

You're right about the building being just as hard as the real thing. My bro has built himself a real house in less time than it's taken me so far! Okay, his is on the side of an active volcano in Japan, so mine will probably outlast his!

As for the Sherman, that already exists.

As does the Willys Jeep, although that will have stowage, a figure, and snow and mud added when it's ready to sit in the diorama.

The Sherman was my entry to the M3/M4 STGB which started about a year ago, and this diorama was intended for it to sit in.

I've since had the idea to use this diorama as a base for any future models that I'm happy with... providing those vehicles have winter camo.

In other words, I will plonk my Sherman and Willys Jeep and figure. into this diorama and photograph them. Then, if I were to make a Tiger1 in winter camo, and that turns out good, the Sherman etc would be removed, to be replaced by the Tiger and associated figures/vehicles. Potentially, I could have a collection of vehicles and figures which could be stored on shelves/in cases etc, that can then be swapped into the diorama whenever I get bored with staring at a particular scene.

Still haven't figured out the 'here' thing to direct you to my Sherman and Willys Jeep, so I will have to do it the other way....

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1

• Badder changed the title to PIT STOP - SCRATCHING THE LAST WALL

I'm putting off finishing the gable wall interior until I've got the return wall done to the same stage. I will be adding a skim of plaster over both walls, so I figure it's easier and will be more economical to do them both at the same time.

The return wall then:

I'm going for a larger window than exists elsewhere in the building, as this room will be more of a workspace than anything and will require more light. I'm thinking it was a room for the farmer/wife to work in, either during bad weather, or in a day-to-day capacity. Maybe it was a food store. Maybe they poured milk into churns there. Maybe they made cheese there. Maybe they hung ducks up in and force fed them grain in there. Or perhaps the farmer liked to make WWI model tanks from wood, and it was somewhere 'away from the wife' where he could practice his hobby in peace.

Whatever, the room is now unusable.

I'm going for the usual stonework for the majority of the wall, but for a brickwork window surround. I imagine that this window was once a fair bit smaller, but was enlargened when the farmer developed sight problems whilst inserting the track pins on his 1/27th Mk1 tank.

Anyway, I've cut out the window apertures on both inner and outer wall sections.

PHM0bqq.jpg

The observant will notice that I haven't spaced the inner and outer sections far enough apart to allow for the customary cavity. This wasn't an oversight. The inner section is dry-fitted. I was just waiting to see which type of wall I as going to plump for and didn't want to chop the floorboards off prematurely.

TFL

Badder

ps. No that beer glass wasn't nicked from a pub! Honest Guvn'r!:innocent:

Edited by Badder
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Badder said:

As for the Sherman, that already exists.

As does the Willys Jeep, although that will have stowage, a figure, and snow and mud added when it's ready to sit in the diorama.

The Sherman was my entry to the M3/M4 STGB which started about a year ago, and this diorama was intended for it to sit in.

I've since had the idea to use this diorama as a base for any future models that I'm happy with... providing those vehicles have winter camo.

In other words, I will plonk my Sherman and Willys Jeep and figure. into this diorama and photograph them. Then, if I were to make a Tiger1 in winter camo, and that turns out good, the Sherman etc would be removed, to be replaced by the Tiger and associated figures/vehicles. Potentially, I could have a collection of vehicles and figures which could be stored on shelves/in cases etc, that can then be swapped into the diorama whenever I get bored with staring at a particular scene.

Still haven't figured out the 'here' thing to direct you to my Sherman and Willys Jeep, so I will have to do it the other way....

Rearguards,

Badder

I had forgotten about your Sherman, I well remember it as I also went into that Sherman GB, seems like yesterday

• Like 1

On 12/4/2018 at 12:19 AM, Graeme H said:

I had forgotten about your Sherman, I well remember it as I also went into that Sherman GB, seems like yesterday

Indeed Graeme,

It's crazy to think I have spent 6 months so far, making a diorama for that very Sherman, almost a year after I started making that Sherman! The new GB will obviously put a halt on this dio, but at lest this dio can be used to show off whatever I make in the GB!

Rearguards,

Badder

Progress on the wall stuttered with a failed attempt at the brickwork surround. I used slivers of FBTINFBBISS, with the bricks carved into them, but I bodged them up and decided to remove them. I will try again.

But I did continue with the rest of the wall, adding the stonework pattern, lintels, and a wooden beam for the floor on the inner side.

4pX66Ip.jpg

Yp50ycX.jpg

The wooden beam slots into a hole cut into the wall at the back of the photo, like the floor joists. I suppose this beam is a floor joist as well, only it's thicker and also supports the side wall, kind of. Probably, this beam will be snapped when I collapse the floor.

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 6

Great Addition to the structure Your reprise of the "tail of the FBTINFBBISS "  was well received by those who may have missed the subtle nuances of the product.

I found this advert. shoved under my door, late last night. Coincidently there was a lighting storm about that same time.  Could there be a correlation? hummm.gifhummm

FBTINFBBISS The name for the latest in Recreation Technology !

A product so new it will astound you and your modeling friends.  Throw out all your old plaster and flimsy foam board.

Our new product will replace them and those other old time materials. Bringing you into the new age! 

This material is manufactured to Exacting Standards, for the discriminating model builder as well as the knowledgeable  dioramatist,

It is light weight and can be ordered in many sizes to suit  you specific  needs.  No Special Tools needed!

Can be assembled without glue (for temporary displays; glue is recommended if the display is of a more permeant nature or will be used a teaching aid.)

Special orders for custom sizes will be accepted only after contacting our  local authorized agent for approval.

Don't wait! be the first in your SIG, Model Group, local hobby group to use this marvelous new innovation.

We have a current waiting list of customers but will be getting new shipments in the coming weeks, so apply for your pre-order  now. 

We will also be reviewing requests by  local hobby shops for exclusive  disturbership. Please send a  request on letter head stationary for evaluation of your shop.

For any questions or to place an order please Contact our founder:   

Mister I AM  Badder  CHC (Chief Honcho in Charge)

FBTINFBBISS Modeling Miracle Material LLP

Third Stone pathway on the left,

Watkins Glen,  just past the sign for the "Old Harry Potter's Owl"

Wiltshire  

ICQ 01 S05 

For communication by the EMail send to:  fbtinfbbiss_uk. com  

Please Serious inquiry's only, Hox-sters and ner'do wells will be treated with the most grievous contempt        

6 hours ago, Prop Duster said:

Great Addition to the structure Your reprise of the "tail of the FBTINFBBISS "  was well received by those who may have missed the subtle nuances of the product.

I found this advert. shoved under my door, late last night. Coincidently there was a lighting storm about that same time.  Could there be a correlation? hummm.gifhummm

FBTINFBBISS The name for the latest in Recreation Technology !

A product so new it will astound you and your modeling friends.  Throw out all your old plaster and flimsy foam board.

Our new product will replace them and those other old time materials. Bringing you into the new age! 

This material is manufactured to Exacting Standards, for the discriminating model builder as well as the knowledgeable  dioramatist,

It is light weight and can be ordered in many sizes to suit  you specific  needs.  No Special Tools needed!

Can be assembled without glue (for temporary displays; glue is recommended if the display is of a more permeant nature or will be used a teaching aid.)

Special orders for custom sizes will be accepted only after contacting our  local authorized agent for approval.

Don't wait! be the first in your SIG, Model Group, local hobby group to use this marvelous new innovation.

We have a current waiting list of customers but will be getting new shipments in the coming weeks, so apply for your pre-order  now. 

We will also be reviewing requests by  local hobby shops for exclusive  disturbership. Please send a  request on letter head stationary for evaluation of your shop.

For any questions or to place an order please Contact our founder:   

Mister I AM  Badder  CHC (Chief Honcho in Charge)

FBTINFBBISS Modeling Miracle Material LLP

Third Stone pathway on the left,

Watkins Glen,  just past the sign for the "Old Harry Potter's Owl"

Wiltshire  

ICQ 01 S05 

For communication by the EMail send to:  fbtinfbbiss_uk. com  

Please Serious inquiry's only, Hox-sters and ner'do wells will be treated with the most grievous contempt        

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Most excellent!

I've trimmed the floorboards to their correct length, and have dry-fitted the floor.

CEHlODx.jpg

5Io6d3k.jpg

I could collapse it now, but I'm going to wait until I've plastered and painted the interior walls. Hopefully, some damage will be done to the painted plaster when I do collapse the floor. So, the next job is underway: the plastering of the internal walls. Here, I've plastered the inside of the gable wall. I've also squidged plaster into the wall cavities as 'Piff and paff', and have applied a plaster-wash to the exteriors of both walls.

JL2OarP.jpg

TFL

Badder.

Edited by Badder
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Svedberg said:

I must say, I am really in awe of how meticulously you attack every aspect of this build! :clap:

Call me OCD! :unsure:

Rearguards,

Badder

• Haha 1

This will be the last update for a while. Aside from other things, there's the forthcoming PzIV GB coming up, and I need to clear the decks.

I've got the last walls of the building more or less done, Some loose stones need to be added along the tops, here and there. Oh, and that brickwork window surround. I keep forgetting that!

UVdwEFW.jpg

leB6zyR.jpg

The plastered walls were painted and then scraped back. A series of washes and scrapings followed, until I got the desired effect. Like all of the other walls, these are now in their 'base' condition. Algae, moss, lichen, mold, ivy, etc will be added to all of them to a greater, or lesser extent.

JV02quX.jpg

There will be a demarkation line of exposed stonework running across the plaster where the upper floor level would be.  Saying that, most of the wall is gone, so the line will only be a few centimetres long, striking through the joist hole top right in the photo below.

YZLe3Sd.jpg

pQVoJSd.jpg

And finally, the 'Piff and Paff', in the wall  cavities.  At some point I will be re-visiting previous cavities, reworking their Piff and paff.

uObaXuM.jpg

Well, as I said, this will be the last post for a while, but I'm hoping to get some work done, here and there. I imagine I will be able to cut up roof tiles, make laths and glue rafters together during my 'spare time'. Thanks to all those who have contributed to this thread with your kind comments, advice, criticisms and witticisms. I hope you've enjoyed it as much as I have. I've learned a few more techniques during this project and I hope some of you have found something of use as well!

For those who are entering the PzIV STGB,  I will see you there shortly!

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 6

Badder, I for one will be sequestering myself in my modeling closet/wine cellar/Anderson shelter/coal bin. I shan't come out 'til  your return.  Hopefully, I won't runout of lamp oil to keep lit the lamps.  But truth be told, I do have several resinous touches installed in wall brackets, should be alright.  I hope your vacation to the "Land Time Forgot  -er- I mean, -PzIV STGB. [one wonders if that is near the border of Eurasia ? or is it closer to the Oceania hinterlands?} 

Well regardless, stay well and make every cut with precision and every glue join seamless yes3.gif

OH, and for those days when things go array

model-h8440e9e.jpg&/Or    tiger.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Hi Steve, @Prop Duster

Loving the cartoon and the photo! Not sure about the 'resinous' substances in your wall mounted candle holders though. Personally, I only have to sniff Airwick Lavender and Jasmine air fresheners and I see purple spiders climbing the walls.

So, to keep you 'sober' (if not entirely sane) I will pop back now and then over the coming months. I will have to keep my eye in anyway, in case I go blind to things architectural.

I have some Bass wood which I've used to make a couple of window sills, and it's better than balsa wood - still soft, but with a nice dense grain that looks more realistic at this scale. I will probably end up using that to remake the rafters. And I will definitely be making some roof tiles as well - the kind of job one can do whilst watching Columbo on TV.

Rearguards,

Badder.

ps, I get the feeling my Nashorn will be finished in a much shorter time than my Sherman did for the last GB, so I expect to return fully to this diorama within 3 months.

Edited by Badder

2 hours ago, Badder said:

Hi Steve, @Prop Duster

Loving the cartoon and the photo! Not sure about the 'resinous' substances in your wall mounted candle holders though. Personally, I only have to sniff Airwick Lavender and Jasmine air fresheners and I see purple spiders climbing the walls.

So, to keep you 'sober' (if not entirely sane) I will pop back now and then over the coming months. I will have to keep my eye in anyway, in case I go blind to things architectural.

I have some Bass wood which I've used to make a couple of window sills, and it's better than balsa wood - still soft, but with a nice dense grain that looks more realistic at this scale. I will probably end up using that to remake the rafters. And I will definitely be making some roof tiles as well - the kind of job one can do whilst watching Columbo on TV.

Rearguards,

Badder.

ps, I get the feeling my Nashorn will be finished in a much shorter time than my Sherman did for the last GB, so I expect to return fully to this diorama within 3 months.

I have taken your advise to heart and replaced all the "resinous touches installed in wall brackets" with a new LED sets, recently received by the latest packet boat form Chang's Famous Far East Asia Trading Company. These will be a great improvement I'm sure.....just wish I knew what the wires at the ends of the fixtures are for, fuses perhaps, for lighting the LED? Well, will give that a test soon.  

Enjoy you Nosh-horn, I'm sure it will be delightful 😋😉

p.s. any hope one could enjoy watching this build's progress?

18 hours ago, Prop Duster said:

Enjoy you Nosh-horn, I'm sure it will be delightful 😋😉

p.s. any hope one could enjoy watching this build's progress?

Steve, first off. never buy anything electrical made in China. I've had 2 different Chinese fan heaters burst into flames while I've been asleep. You'll be glad to know I survived both.

As for watching 'this build progress' I assume you mean the Nashorn?

I'm building that in the PzIV STGB taking place further down the 'forums' page.

Click on this:

and it will take you to my Nashorn WIP, and from there you can navigate to all the other builds taking place in that STGB. To do that, look at the menu bar just below the Britmodeller header at the top of the page, and you'll see  'Home>Modelling>Group Builds>Current Group Builds>'Panzer IV STGB'. Click on Panzer IV STGB it will take you to a page with all of the other participants and their WIPs

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder

• 9 months later...

1 hour ago, DalekCheese said:

Has there been any more on this? Any pics with the Sherman?

Hi DalekCheese,

Funnily enough, I was about to re-visit this thread, just for a nosey, when a notification of your post popped up.

Thanks for dropping in and taking the time to comment. I hope you enjoyed the thread so far.

I am currently finishing off a winter Tiger I, down in the 'completed STGB' section, but when it's finished, in a week or so, I intend to crack on with either this diorama, or my Ever Evolvin' Diorama. I'm torn between the two, but this one will suit 4 of my 'best models' to date. I had the idea to use this diorama as a 'multi-purpose setting' for each, or some combination of said models, swapping them in and out for photographic purposes, or when I get bored with looking at them!

The Sherman was finished some time ago, although it's missing its crew, and some mud/snow which will be added to the tracks when the diorama is ready for it.

Photos of the Sherman are on page 3 of the link below. BTW, I will probably replace a few items on it (kit bags, aerial)

Rearguards,

Badder

15 minutes ago, DalekCheese said:

Fair enough... can you link to the ever evolving dio? I can’t find it...

Will do, although you could just go to top of this page, click on 'work in progress, Dioramas' and a list of WIPs will pop up. The Ever Evolvin Dio is about 10th in the list. I'd get a comfy chair and give yourself a week or so to read and look at everything. There are 51 pages and hundreds of photos. Bear in mind I had to replace EVERY SINGLE PHOTO when Photobucket decided to rip off its customers and charge them to use their site. And THEN I had to replace them ALL again, when my new hosting site closed down. I was not a happy chappy.

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder