PIT STOP. click on link on my 'signature' for vids

Hi Badder,

I see that despite everything, you continue with your project, which looks very good so far.
Although in constant evolution, progression, trial / error, it will make a unique and very interesting subject, along with some or some AFVs (large or small), and the figures to give it a sense of life and proportionality.
I hope that everything improves and you can continue with what you like despite all the unpleasant and sad things that surround us in these times.
For my part, I have managed to start a kit, and I hope to finish it as well as possible, but it is costing me a lot, since I cannot forget certain things, which definitely does not help me.
All the best for you and yours.
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 7:48 PM, FrancisGL said:

For my part, I have managed to start a kit, and I hope to finish it as well as possible, but it is costing me a lot, since I cannot forget certain things, which definitely does not help me.
All the best for you and yours.
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

Hi Francis,

Great to hear you're back to making something again. Hopefully it will help to take your mind of things for a few hours a day? I don't know if your are providing us with a WIP, but if you aren't, maybe you should? That would help take your mind off things too. We would surely all appreciate seeing your build progress.

Stay safe mate,

Rearguards,

Badder

6 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Badder just catching up, your doing a cracking job it's coming along a treat.

Hi Clive,

Thanks mate,

Yeah, it's getting there. I think it'll all be plain sailing from now on. Excuse me while I have a laughing fit🤣

Keep up with your excellent work. I'm enjoying watching things progress.

Wishing you and yours well,

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 2

In amongst all the usual fiddling about with things I should really leave alone, I have managed to finish off the main construction of the upper front wall, joining it to the supporting wall with more red brick plaster casts. I have to add extra height to that supporting wall and I rather fancy I'm going to raise it with a few coarses of red brick, rather than brownstone blocks. That will make it obvious that this section of the building was converted, getting rid of that problem of a low ceiling height where the roof originally sloped almost down to knee height.  I do like the contrast between the roughly-hewn dark brownstone blocks and the brighter red and uniform nature of the bricks.

LNkmbor.jpg

I dry-fitted the doors for no particular reason. I will be working on those some more.

I will be cutting  chunks of brownstone out from the wall slope and will interlink the red bricks.

9cjEKGt.jpg

I should have done that with this triangle of bricks, but I can do it retrospectively and then continue them on up the slope.

sbJ3Ue0.jpg

Meanwhile, the inner face of the brick section has been weathered to the same character as the outer. More weathering will be done to all, with the inner face less so as it is more sheltered.

TFL

Badder

• Like 7

15 hours ago, Badder said:

Hi Francis,

Great to hear you're back to making something again. Hopefully it will help to take your mind of things for a few hours a day? I don't know if your are providing us with a WIP, but if you aren't, maybe you should? That would help take your mind off things too. We would surely all appreciate seeing your build progress....

Hi Badder, 

those red bricks look very authentic. To the wooden doors, do you think you will do some "chipping", in the same way that they are painted several times with different colors ... and the paint "cracks" due to the passage of time and the elements? ...
Regarding me, yes, I am uploading a WIP, because although it is a little extra work, if it helps me to continue, because someone comments and therefore encourages me with the work.
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

To the wooden doors, do you think you will do some "chipping", in the same way that they are painted several times with different colors ... and the paint "cracks" due to the passage of time and the elements? ...

Hi mate,

It doesn't show up so well in the photo but those doors really are 'chipped'.  Here's what they look like right now.

obLRo68.jpg

I was quite happy with how they look, but I have decided to 'rot' them some more, and maybe take a plank or two off while I'm at it.

You should know by now that no things I post pictures of will remain the same!🤣

I will have a look for your WIP.

TC

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Badder said:

Hi Badder, 

Now if it looks good, without a doubt the photo I took as a reference, was not so clear or precise, because seeing this, it is evident, lol, and it is not bad ...
There is little left for the WIP, I am waiting for an add-on for the kit to arrive, and finish "polishing" it.
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

Edited by FrancisGL
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Hola colega,

No se ve tan bien en la foto, pero esas puertas realmente están "astilladas". Así es como se ven ahora.

Estaba bastante contento con su aspecto, pero he decidido "pudrirlos" un poco más y tal vez quitarme una o dos tablas mientras estoy en eso.

¡Ya deberías saber que las cosas de las que publico fotos seguirán siendo las mismas!🤣

Echaré un vistazo a tu WIP.

TC

Retaguardias,

Badder

Pardon? What did I say? I can't speak Spanish. I can make out 'hello colleague/mate and something to do with photos. and the 'regards' and Badder bit. 😅

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Badder said:

Pardon? What did I say? I can't speak Spanish. I can make out 'hello colleague/mate and something to do with photos. and the 'regards' and Badder bit. 😅

Hi Badder, yesterday the same thing happened to me with Bullbasket, although fortunately for me I know a little more English than Colleague, hello, bye ... lol, as I said, I always like to take a pass to see what I read or write, to avoid any " unintentional nonsense ", and now I see that I have had more than one error.
I have noticed that every time I pass the "cleaner" to the computer, in addition to what does not work, settings such as Google / Chrome are also lost, and one of these is that it automatically translates the websites for you. .
My apologies, I am going to check if there is something lost there ... because I do not want anyone to bother ...
Cheers and TC
Francis.😅

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

My apologies, I am going to check if there is something lost there ... because I do not want anyone to bother ...
Cheers and TC
Francis.

No hay problema bella dama! 🤣🤣

I added more chopped up plaster casts of Tamiya's brick wall set to the top of the supporting wall using medium CA,  and filed and cut them so as to match the height and pitch of the wall opposite. In places I deliberately left gaps, holes and rough edges. During all stages of adding the red bricks, I coloured them with red earth acrylic ink, red pastel , red water colour pencils. plaster dust washes,  white washes and dirty washes. A fair bit of 'rubbing back' was done as well to impart more variety in the colour of the bricks and or rendering. I have yet to detail the edges of the slopes and detail the damaged areas.  That will be my next job.

First, a 'mood' shot, with just one side of the wall heightened.

UuBGqDH.jpg

I6L5696.jpg

rbyBxwI.jpg

31UfqgX.jpg

hZdYQB3.jpg

IgWHuIB.jpg

ET59QoE.jpg

The profile of the heightened wall was matched with its opposite using no more than a steel rule and the naked eye.

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Peeps,

It's okay, I am still here. I got distracted by other things.

There has been progress though.  With the supporting wall heightened and the brickwork mostly done, I thought I'd return to the roofing again. I had various bits and pieces left over from previous attempts (which were successful, but no longer fit the building) and decided to use what I could for the new old roof.  I did have a go at making tiles from my diabetes blood-sugar testing strips, but set about it the wrong way. Tut! You'd think I'd have remembered the process for making vast numbers of tiles in the quickest, most effective way wouldn't you? Having used up a fair few, I was concerned I'd run out of them and end up having different tiles on other parts of the roof.... not necessarily a bad thing, but I wanted consistency. So I decided to make the roof tiles from paper. With the amounts of CA I'd be using, the paper would become infused with the stuff and basically set like plastic.

The first job was to mark out all the tiles on some graph paper, then cut those into vertical strips, to make separate 'columns' of tiles. These were then CA'd to another sheet of graph paper, like so:

an7E4jt.jpg

The sheet above was then cut horizontally, to give 'courses' of tiles, as seen below.

kShM7u9.jpg

Those courses were then CA'd to each other, with the bottom of each course resting on the top of the one below it.  in horizontal rows, but in a staggered formation.

With that done, the tiles were painted with acrylic black ink, and then given a plaster-dust wash. like so:

ImherSi.jpg

This was done primarily to highlight any flaws in the staggered pattern, and those areas where the joints might need redefining with a scalpel. I made several of these tile sections and then cut them up and fixed the to the set of rafters and batons I'd made in my previous attempts.

P0THLBo.jpg

And flipped over, with some green plaster-dust washes applied:

XFd1qJ0.jpg

In the photo below is an OLD piece of roof I had from earlier attempts, but it is dry-fitted here to show roughly how the new section of roof might look. The thing is, is I really like the brickwork at the top of the right hand wall apex, so I'd like to keep that area tile-free, like this, if I can:

EHfG40k.jpg

The section of tiling I've just made, looks like this, but probably will be fitted to the rear of the building, not the front as shown here.

ajXRleL.jpg

The batons to which the tiles are 'nailed' are made from the plastic bristles of a yard broom and were circular in cross-section until my sanding block sorted them out.

The greens aren't showing up much here and there's a bit of tidying up, some batons and loose tiles to add, and some tiles to break or remove.  Hopefully that will all be done tonight.

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 4

• Badder changed the title to PIT STOP - TO THE ROOF AGAIN!

I HATE roof tiles. 🤣🤣

I went to all that trouble of cutting them up individually, and when you place them on the roof and paint them/weather them, some become difficult to tell apart from their neighbours. So, a bit of redefining with a scalpel is required.  Whilst I'm not entirely happy with this bit of roof, it's probably the best I'm going to be able to manage. I will be adding some loose tiles and a few more batons, and probably I'll do some pin washing as well. What I'll also be doing is extending it to the right, across to the next supporting wall. Probably it'll mostly be the woodwork, with very few tiles left in place.

So, a few photos then. First off, I'd like to 'show off' one of the techniques of mine.... a version of my 'Plaster-dust wash' but with the addition of Fairy Liquid (Dish washing detergent for those in other parts of the world) Dipping a large brush in water containing the detergent, then into the dust and then applying it to the building and 'scrubbing  it in',creates lots of tiny bubbles. When the wash begins to dry, the bubbles start to pop and leave deposits of the dust on the surface.  Here I added grey ink to the wash and the deposits are grey rather than white, which would have been the case if I'd just used a plaster dust wash. Yes, that is grey dust stuck to the surface and not bubbles. The idea was to paint these 'bubble's with yellows, to make them look like lichen. I realise now that I should just have added yellow to the wash! Doh!

hkx99Mz.jpg

When I applied the yellow ink, it looked too bright, so I 'dabbed' it with my fingers, which obviously smudged them.  It then transpired that the 'yellow' turned more brown and the effect was spoiled. I will try again though, remembering to add the yellow to the wash! (all of the above and below effects can be removed with a damp brush)

wIagE2y.jpg

With that 'experiment' over, and the roof put aside, I decided to 'fix' the gap in the rear wall where I cut the end room off the building and moved it outwards. I carved FTINFBISS to size and shape, and CA'd it into place before carving the stonework. I've filled one of the joints with plaster and now have just the one to fill. For the moment though I am leaving it be so that I can still remove the end of the building. The unfilled joint is clear to see in the centre of the photo below. I have also extended the eves across the middle room, for when I fit the roof. I may press down on the roof and break the eves. Whatever, guttering will have to be made first, using CA'd paper.

FKIWfCG.jpg

Just a few more 'sexy' shots:

4FSvtOa.jpg

XpOkVK2.jpg

d77JQWc.jpg

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 6

Badder

By Gad sir!  I see great progress in the redoing of the redone section of the completed  or at least of the previously constructed wall to wall and roof to peak,  shingled boards that aren't, BUT could be...... (pant, puff) To carry on- most impressive workings. The dish soap-dust-color (sorry, colour) recipe is now indelibly written on to the last bit of flash paper I have, from a past experiment -best left unspoken of.  To see this progress to date may indeed silent those knaves  that  whisper twixt each other " ya think 'ell finish afore the kor-ved ends er aft-tor?"  Pay them no mind, oh Great Manipulator of Fibers and Such! They are indeed ner-do-wells that have no skills of their own.  Well the alarm is going off  here , so its time for me to close me subterranean  bunker door and set once again the  anti-personal munitions.  Good seeing you work as always and always.             

Partes eae contra Vigilantium manet in facitis* spacer.png

*Remain Vigilant, the Value is in the Doing,  I think🤨

• Haha 1

Can't believe I just found this again, still getting rubbeled  (from the Oztralian dictionary of newly invented words), I had mistakenly thought the clean up and repair crew had maybe go to it, but no it's still going down the damaged path and looking incredibly real, keep up the great work.

On 7/3/2020 at 11:26 PM, Prop Duster said:

Badder

By Gad sir!  I see great progress in the redoing of the redone section of the completed  or at least of the previously constructed wall to wall and roof to peak,  shingled boards that aren't, BUT could be...... (pant, puff) To carry on- most impressive workings. The dish soap-dust-color (sorry, colour) recipe is now indelibly written on to the last bit of flash paper I have, from a past experiment -best left unspoken of.  To see this progress to date may indeed silent those knaves  that  whisper twixt each other " ya think 'ell finish afore the kor-ved ends er aft-tor?"  Pay them no mind, oh Great Manipulator of Fibers and Such! They are indeed ner-do-wells that have no skills of their own.  Well the alarm is going off  here , so its time for me to close me subterranean  bunker door and set once again the  anti-personal munitions.  Good seeing you work as always and always.             

Hi Steve,

Great to see you back 'on form' with your delightful whit. You started off excellently with the 'By Gad sir!' Do you know that you're the first person to have used such a phrase, and I've been a member on BM for over 5yrs?! I had occasion today to complain about the term 'Gadabouts' in reference to a pub (tavern) owner saying that they'd not be allowing any 'Gadabouts' into their pub this coming Monday.  Most pubs in the UK were allowed to open on Saturday, but that's an awful day to pick for their re-opening after lockdown,  so respect to the pub owner on that account, but BOOO! for besmirching my family name. Actually, in truth the verb 'Gadabout' (wander aimlessly in a carefree manner) has nothing to do with my family name. It comes from the word 'Goad', the name given to cow-herders who 'goaded' the cattle with a sharp stick. But, we are of course talking about hairy sticks, here.

So the work on the roof continues, with many a hairy stick being used to goad the paint, and plaster-dust, inks and water into the right places. It's a slap-dash affair with many doings and re-doings, but it's all heading in the right direction. The roof has been extended 3/4's of the way along the building now, at eaves' level, but the upper sections still need defining. 

Finally, I do apologise for deleting your scissors pic.  I  have a full beard for the first time in my 56 yr life, and am well on the way to looking like Grizzly Adams so I am avoiding all things 'coiffeury'. Hmmm no scientific term for 'of the hair' 

'Tis waaaay past beddy-byes, so I too shall pop off.

TC

Badder

Edited by Badder

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 11:51 PM, Graeme H said:

Can't believe I just found this again, still getting rubbeled  (from the Oztralian dictionary of newly invented words), I had mistakenly thought the clean up and repair crew had maybe go to it, but no it's still going down the damaged path and looking incredibly real, keep up the great work.

Hi Graeme,

And I can't believe you lost it!😆 Having NOT planned this building at any stage, other than for it to be a 'ruin', I still find it very easy to get drawn into building a fully intact one, so I have to keep reigning myself in. I think I'm sorted now, with the building as shown, but I have yet to tackle the far end. I will have to play that by ear, but I suspect that end will be more or less flattened.

Thanks for the 'incredibly real' comment. It really does help when people say things like that. I'm no expert, I just try and try and try again until I get something I'm happy with. I hope that others of my calibre can maybe see what I do, and find an even better way of doing theirs!🤣

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

I've done a bit more on the roof; extending the rafters, batons and tiles across the middle room, adding some loose tiles to the section above the first room, and more plaster-dust washes to all. 

1h9EM0S.jpg

ZHO8AEX.jpg

aC9OpIX.jpg

Most of the 'loose' tiles are still attached to their batons, and it's the batons which have detached and slipped down the roof, snagging in various places on the way down. couple of truly loose tiles have also snagged in a couple of places.

6RVPwJK.jpg

CKsNV1f.jpg

c1qODXE.jpg

Well, I have to say I'm quite pleased with how it's looking at the moment.

I will add some more rafters, batons, tiles and loose tiles to the middle room, trim off the tiles at the gable end and the fit the er.... dunno what they are called... the wooden 'planks' that.... ah thanks Google.... bargeboards. I'll be fitting them later today, hopefully. And that'll be this side of the roof done.

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 5

• Badder changed the title to PIT STOP - ROOF NEARLY DONE ONE SIDE

Hi Badder,

I see that you have been very busy with your building, and the result looks very good, as they say above, it looks real, someone will be able to do it better and faster, but before running you have to learn to walk, and you are well ahead in the learning process..lol.
I really like the "Fairy" trick (around here we also have that ... lol). Maybe a little bit of appropriate color pigments, do the job, because it would also be "rough", like real lichen.
The tiles, often work, similar to some indi-links tracks, but they have been quite good, nobody would say that they are "pieces of paper".
I really like how it is staying in the building.
I hope to see more progress later.
Cheer and TC
Francis.👍

• Thanks 1

Badder 

Many thanks for the illumination of the antecedents of my native tong. As you may have surmised, we of the American (i.e. U.S.) lingual im-perfect  are always delighted to find that many of our words do indeed have a meaning, let alone a real historical provenance.

As to your currant non-use of the barbaric sharp blade in scrapping the skin of your of your worthy countenance, I say, Wha-Hoo! Well done!   I too for some years have allowed the world to marvel at my comely  bearded appearance.  This has  proven to cause much delight to nubile young women   ah, I mean small sparrows, humming birds and the like-sigh, ah well.  

Regarding the currant state of you construction.  Very fine work. The thing that keeps me enthralled is your ability to create such life-like components out of such every day materials.  

So in closing, I wish you well in your newly, opened pubs and hope you will not be a "gad-fly" among the many, no doubt hoping for your patronage.🍻

As I go to re-raise the plague flag over my humble  underground bunker/ root cellar. I salute  you. Eruditi posui in vestibulo

• Haha 1

On 7/7/2020 at 11:45 AM, FrancisGL said:

really like the "Fairy" trick (around here we also have that ... lol). Maybe a little bit of appropriate color pigments, do the job, because it would also be "rough", like real lichen.
The tiles, often work, similar to some indi-links tracks, but they have been quite good, nobody would say that they are "pieces of paper".

Hi Francis,

Silly me. I've never set foot on mainland Europe so have no idea what washing up liquids are available in which countries, but I suppose I should have guessed you'd have it what with all the British tourists and immigrants! 😆

I have continued experimenting with the 'bubble effects' with the yellow, but it's not turned out well.  If I mix yellow into the wash, the whole roof gets a yellow tint, and if I try to 'dab' the wash on in small areas the underlying dark colours make the yellow appear a brownish-orange. Using a brush to 'spatter' the yellow on results in the same colour change. I think the only option is to spatter white over the roof then hand paint the yellow over the top. There is one other possibility, to apply an all over matt varnish, and whilst it's still wet, scatter yellow plaster dust over it? If none of that works, I think I'll just have to hand paint the lichen.

With all the experimentation, and having to remove and 'repair the damage' afterwards, with 'touch-ups' and more washes, the tiles now appear even more weathered. This is why I don't mind experimenting on the model, rather than on some 'scrap'.  The experiments result in more layers and therefore more realism. I haven't taken any photos of how it looks at the moment, but the tiles now appear a lot greener, and more varied, with darker 'newer' tiles, middle-aged tiles and old ones. I've removed some of the tiles, and have replaced a few that were a bit poor. I'm having to constantly check the roof and how it fits the building, because adding rafters and tiles can distort the shape of the whole thing and then it has to be bent back into shape in order to meet the walls, but so far, all is good.

I will post pics later today.

Thanks for your input Francis,

As always, take care my friend,

Badder

On 7/7/2020 at 11:52 PM, Prop Duster said:

Regarding the currant state of you construction.  Very fine work. The thing that keeps me enthralled is your ability to create such life-like components out of such every day materials.  

So in closing, I wish you well in your newly, opened pubs and hope you will not be a "gad-fly" among the many, no doubt hoping for your patronage.🍻

Hi Steve,

First off, thanks for the compliments. It's always humbling to read praise of my work, even if I'm not 100percent happy with what I've done.  I am happy with the roof though, more so than parts of the walls, but then I know the walls are all in a very basic state and ivy will cover up a lot of the duff bits. As for my use of everyday materials, and my decision to use paper to make roof tiles (madness, some would say) I have had 3 attempts at making the roof now (or is it 4) and each time I'd had to glue plastic sheet/card of some sort to graph paper, to enable accurate cutting and then sticking them onto graph paper again to get accurate alignment. This time, and knowing how 'good' CA'd paper is, I thought 'to hell with the plastic, just use the graph paper!' And it's worked brilliantly....... apart from the couple of occasions when I appled CA to damp paper and the fumes nearly set fire to my eyes and nasal passages.  I do worry about the 'Cyano' bit... cyanide is rumoured to be nasty stuff. 

On the pub front, I haven't been well enough to visit one since spring of last year, and what with my ailments and the current situation I am only venturing out of the house and grounds for unavoidable medical appointments. You'd think I would have finished this whole diorama by now!

Anyway, once again I have found myself awake all night and at least an hour since first light so I will retire to my cocoon.

TC Steve,

Be good, and if you can't be good, be good at that instead.

Rearguards,

Baddr

• Like 1

On 7/8/2020 at 12:12 AM, Graeme H said:

I see some of that brickworks needs some pointing done, I'll get Kevin McCloud to drop around

Hi Graeme,

I don't know who built the walls, but he must have been an amateur. I could have done it better than him.  I wouldn't let Kevin McCloud touch it. He'd probably do the pointing with shredded wheat breakfast cereal and cow dung.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Haha 2

OH, I'VE SOLVED MY ISSUE WITH THE ROOF SPOILING THE SILHOUETTE OF THE BUILDING, AND BLOCKING VIEWS OF THE INTERIOR.

I'M NOT GOING TO FIX ANY PART OF THE ROOF TO THE BUILDING AND WILL LEAVE IT REMOVABLE.

SO, I CAN PLACE DIFFERENT VEHICLES/FIGURES IN THE DIORAMA AND LEAVE THE ROOF ON FOR SOME PHOTO SHOOTS AND TAKE IT OFF FOR OTHERS.

SUCH A SIMPLE REMEDY THAT'S ONLY TAKEN ME A COUPLE OF YEARS TO THINK OF!

Edited by Badder
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2