PIT STOP. click on link on my 'signature' for vids

Thought I'd drop by, and see how this is going Badder.

Find you are working on the roof. Then, to cap it all, you won't tie it down?

OK, makes sense if you want to rearrange for one, or more, photo shoots.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2020 at 8:48 PM, Robert Stuart said:

Thought I'd drop by, and see how this is going Badder.

Find you are working on the roof. Then, to cap it all, you won't tie it down?

OK, makes sense if you want to rearrange for one, or more, photo shoots.

Hi Rob,

Yeah, it was one of those 'doh' moments when one thinks 'why didn't I think of that before?'

I like the idea so much I'm going to make two or three different version of the roof in various stages of 'decay'. There won't be any hurry to do those though. I will continue with this particular layout. The other side of the roof will be split into 2 sections though, so I can remove one or the other. That will give me some differing photo opportunities from the off.

FYI, because the roof made from wood and paper, there is some flex in it. In fact some of th rafters have warped due to a cycle of wetting and drying. But this is all good because a) it's hard to carve/sand/file straight wood to make it look warped and b) that flex has allowed me to be able to 'jam' the roof down onto the frame of the roof and fix it in place quite firmly.  Some parts of the roof woodwork are actually fixed to the building, so when I remove the roof some of the woodwork remains in place.

Anyway, good to see you,

Hope you an yours are all well,

Rearguards

Badder

• Like 2

As is my habit... have I said this before?... there were a few little things I wasn't entirely happy with. And, whilst I was making new sets of tiles for the roof on the other side of the building, I decided to add some to the existing roof, and also took some away, or replaced them.  I am now calling this section of roof DONE! I will be making a separate section for the extreme right hand side, and it may be fixed to the building or remain remain removable as per the completed section shown below.

CzUN5rf.jpg

pM44Y5J.jpg

B1LHAyi.jpg

u4Eiv3Z.jpg

PKGTNBt.jpg

h9Bxwl9.jpg

W3nhdcT.jpg

Excuse the cat hairs!

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 7

11 hours ago, Badder said:

I am now calling this section of roof DONE!

May we quote you on that statement in the coming years? :whistle:

Gerry

• Haha 3

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 2:59 PM, GerryW said:

May we quote you on that statement in the coming years? :whistle:

Gerry

Hi Gerry.

Of course you can quote me! When I say something is 'DONE', we all know that means I will definitely be doing some more work to it!  😀  For the moment though,, I haven't touched the roof tiles for 48hrs (I think)  Instead I am making the ridge tiles and working on the barge boards at the end of the roof.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

My question too Gerry, though 'years' might be optimistic... next week maybe.

Your roof looks good though Badder.  I hope the cat gave permission before you took her(his?) hairs

Hi Rob,

Yeah, your money should be on a week!

Thanks for the compliment about the roof. The cats are not allowed in my 'workspace; but maybe a hair floated in here on a draught, or came in on a sock?

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

Viewers will be surprised to learn that I still haven't touched the roof tiles! What I have done is get close to finishing the barge board for the edge of the roof and start making the guttering. Only, when I finished making the first length of guttering I realised it was of a length that was perfect for the ridge tiles along the top of the roof. So, I'm using the guttering for that instead. All I have to do now is cut it into ridge-tile lengths fix those along the top and paint and weather them.

I've made guttering and ridge tiles before, using CA'd paper, as it's quick and easy, and cheap. I simply rolled some graph paper around a length of narrow rod and doused it with Thin CA. Dried and set as rigid as plastic, I then rolled another piece of paper around the 'half-pipe' and gave that a douse with CA as well. It was then a simple case of trimming off the excess paper and sanding the half-pipe to size/depth.

2S5Ze8H.jpg

GKbLwAC.jpg

Here it is balanced on top of the roof. I'll be chopping it up into individual tiles and painting it shortly. A few targetted washes will have the blue barge boards finished.  As you can see, the roof sits nicely in place, but is held in place only by pressure. It can be lifted off easily.

bM68cpU.jpg

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 7

Hi Badder. Hope you and yours are well. Looks like you have been making good progress. As always it looks amazingly realistic but I won't hold my breath that you won't change your mind and make some changes!

Take care.

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Haha 1

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2020 at 3:15 PM, PlaStix said:

Hi Badder. Hope you and yours are well. Looks like you have been making good progress. As always it looks amazingly realistic but I won't hold my breath that you won't change your mind and make some changes!

Take care.

Kind regards,

Stix 

Hi Stix,

Thanks. All is well here.

It's been 7 hours and 4 days...….   (Why did Sinead O'Connor just pop into my head?) and I've still not been tempted to touch that roof. I've finished the barge boards, and am very happy with their rotted look.  I'll probably post pics later this evening.

Wishing you and yours well,

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

The definition of the word 'serendipity' : when you choose a size of 1/35th scale roof tile which. when put together to make a 1/35th scale section of roof, JUST HAPPENS TO BE EXACTLY THE RIGHT SIZE to fit snuggly up against a chimney stack which had been removed for 'safety' reasons and was only just dry-fitted to see where the tiles might need removing or filing to size.

SyprGR3.jpg

Lead flashing around the chimney stack will be made using CA'd paper. I may remove some of the tiles shown here.

The section of roof here is fixed to the ridge beam, as per the roof on the other side, so the entire section of roof lifts off in one piece. All other sections of roof will be separate entities which can be removed/replaced for different photo shoots.

X3kJ66B.jpg

A much better photo of the rotting barge boards. 

3IHu1T5.jpg

I am down to my last 3 pairs of coffee stirring sticks (all half-inched) which I need to make rafters. so any further work will be tile related rather than woodwork. I do have an order in for 1000 though, for a fiver so the woodwork will continue afresh at the weekend.

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 8

8 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Fantastic job Badder, it's all coming along nicely.

Thanks Clive.

I'm out of coffee stirrers at the moment, so I'm not able to do much more of the roof on this side of the building. What I am doing instead is trying to get the roof sitting perfectly in place on the other side of the building, whilst still remaining detachable. With the warp in the roof the 'tail end' of that section springs away from the wall and needs to be 'hooked' under the sloping woodwork coming down from the apex of the supporting wall. I thought I had that all sorted out, but I found a minor discrepancy in the dimensions of that supporting wall and had to remove the woodwork and sand the wall down down further.  (My own fault for relying on line of sight for getting heights and widths correct) I should have the roof 'hookable' again very soon, and will then return to this side of the roof. I've knocked a few tiles out of the section pictured above and will be adding some long beams the entire length of the building where the roof slope ends and the flat roof begins.

Thanks for your support as always, and congrats again on that stunning spit/Me Dio.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Coffee stirrers. One of the most essential materials for diorama making. My previous stocks have always been retrieved from bins at coffee stations at work, or borrowed from well known coffee establishments... that latter not always easy when I may drink one cup of coffee once in every 3 yrs.

This lot turned up, or rather 'appeared' mysteriously on  my doorstep, yesterday. This is what 998 of them look  like. (I've already used 2)Damn I must order some more! Not bad £4.45 post free.

2I5Tuf0.jpg

The two I've used can be seen CA'd back-to-back and used to make the RHS rafter of  the two 'clean' ones below:

GDCT4ME.jpg

This part of the roof just needs a few more batons added (the green broom bristles) to those rafters and that will be this entire section (front and rear of the building) done, barring painting and weathering. The rafters and batons visible here are attached only to the tiled section above and not to the chimney stack, or the sloping woodwork atop the sloping supporting wall. I know I'm repeating myself, but for those 'popping in' for the first time, the whole section of roof can be removed for photographic purposes.  I'm quite proud to have been able to construct most of this building by eye, and only now and then using graph paper, straight-edge and set square. I have no idea what any of the dimensions have been in mm, cm or inches.

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 5

Hi Major,

Thanks chap.

I've said it before, but my main reason for posting is not for praise or my work (although that's always very humbling and much appreciated) but hopefully to help others, give tips and inspire people to make their own versions, using my methods, or and adaptation of their own. Then I can learn from THEM!👍

I wish you and yours good health.

Take care,

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Graeme H said:

Just catching up with the latest renovations, really going well, you should have it in a pretty much derelict state in no time.

Hi Graeme,

Thanks as always.

I still have to decide whether to model the lower half of the roof with a dormer window, (one that juts up and has it's own separate roof at right angles to the main roof) or have the top section of roof come down to a flat roof. The former would be more interesting architecturally, but the latter would be easier and quicker. Whichever, it will be a removable section.  It's all these kinds of decisions that slow this project down so badly.

I've turned into a night owl though, so some progress will take place during the small hours. Hopefully there will be some significant progress. But no, I can never do anything 'in no time'.:rofl:

Take care of you and yours,

Reargaurds,

Badder

• Haha 1

• Badder changed the title to PIT STOP - 5th Version of that bloomin' wall!

I couldn't continue making the bottom half of the roof on this side of the building until I made the last wall... the wall I've rebuilt 4 times at least! 

This time, I'm going to make it with FTINFBISS and Plaster of Paris. Moreover, I'm going to make the bottom half of the wall using the brownstone, and the upper half using red brickwork. The red brickwork section will be part-collapsed, allowing that all important view into the rooms.

FITTING

First off then was to get the FTINFBISS cut to size and fitted - that is 'fitted' in the engineering sense - filed and sanded so as to have a snug fit with the adjoining parts either side. Anyone who has trouble 'fitting' parts like this might use the ancient technique of coating one of the surfaces to be mated with either a wet or dry coat of ink/dye/paint, then bringing the two parts together. Where the two parts touch, ink/dye/paint will be transferred from the coloured surface of the 'datum' part, to the 'dry' surface of the other. It's then a case of taking that 'dirtied' part and filing and sanding that area down slightly, always erring on caution, unless the 'bump' is easily discernible to the naked eye, in which case, give it a good seeing to. Keep repeating this process, re-wetting the 'datum' surface if required. As you progress, more and more areas will be 'wetted' on the face of the part to be fitted and eventually there'll come a point where virtually the whole face becomes wetted. That's when you know you've done a great job.

1fZsAI7.jpg

My next job then is to scribe the stonework/brick courses in the sheet of FTINFBISS.  

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 4

This build remains amazing with every single post - the ups - the downs - the highs - the lows - it's an emotional roller coaster - but moreover AMAZING!!!

Long may it last - Steve

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, BIG X said:

This build remains amazing with every single post - the ups - the downs - the highs - the lows - it's an emotional roller coaster - but moreover AMAZING!!!

Long may it last - Steve

I can just visualise the crew from Guinness Records casting a watchful eye on this with a view to awarding the build top place in the "Longest and most detailed ruin ever constructed" section. :coolio:

An absolutely fascinating example of perfection and determination. :worthy:

Gerry

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm quite sure that it is pure coincidence that 2 mask wearing skeletons are responsible for the previous posts commenting on the time invested in this build to date. :whistle: :innocent:

Gerry

• Haha 2

On 8/8/2020 at 4:30 PM, BIG X said:

Long may it last - Steve

Hi Steve,

I didn't recognise you with that mask on... but respect for you for taking the virus so seriously. I feel safe conversing with you!

Thanks for popping in.

You are quite correct. The entire thread is filled with ups and downs, highs and lows.  Not long after joining BM, and deciding to show WIPs, I thought I'd include both successes and failures and show how I overcame, or tried to overcome, the latter.  I'd seen too many WIPs where everything 'went perfectly' and came to the conclusion that the posters were either AI model-making machines, or they were real people, hiding the whole truth! And anyway, I think it's important for beginners and skilled alike to see that no one is perfect, we all make mistakes, and it's the mistakes that we most learn from.

Had I even thought to plan this building beforehand, it would have been finished years ago. However, I don't think it would have ended up anything like this, and after a while I'd have been disappointed with it. I'd have wished I had done better. So, I only had a vague idea of what I wanted, and was fully expecting to alter and add to it as I went along. There are a few areas which WERE better than they are now, but they are all areas which won't be seen, or will be hard to see - the chequered floor being one. I am now dealing with the only 'problem area' left in this project: this corner of the building and that stupid 'long drop' roof.

News on that shortly.

Thanks again, Steve,

TC

Reaguards,

Badder

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GerryW said:

I can just visualise the crew from Guinness Records casting a watchful eye on this with a view to awarding the build top place in the "Longest and most detailed ruin ever constructed" section. :coolio:

An absolutely fascinating example of perfection and determination. :worthy:

Gerry

Hi Gerry,

HAHAHA! I don't know if you're aware, but I have another dio that's been on hold while I concentrate on this building, and that dio has over 50 pages so far! 😀😀

If you read my reply to Steve's comment you'll have a better idea of why things take me so long, if you don't know why already?

I personally can't call my work 'perfection' because I see all the little bits that could be better.  Also, if I got things right FIRST TIME I would be a lot happier. But yes, I am determined. I would never have given up, no matter what disasters tried to deter me. I am feeling very confident about getting this end of the building all sorted out very soon.

Thanks for your continued, kind and humorous support,

TC

Badder

As per my usual method for scribing the stonework onto the FBTINFBISS, I first tacked graph paper over the wall, then, using the markings transcribed from the corner of the gable wall, drew on the pattern.  I then cut through the markings with a scalpel. A black wash was then applied and the surface given a quick sanding to leave the black in the mortar gaps. This made it easier to see the 'messy' areas which need tidying up.

V7dO7pX.jpg

I raised the surfaces of some individual stones by overlaying them with rectangles of paper. In the past I used rectangles of plastic, but now I find paper just as effective, and cheaper. The CA used to glue it in place, soaks into the paper and turns it plastic-like anyway, so I can sand it if required.

Before carving the red brickwork upper half of the wall, I cut out the lower window aperture and test fitted the wall to check what will be visible of the interior. Visible are the paper rectangles glued over some of the stonework to make them stand proud (as per the stones on the gable wall) I have yet to sculpt the paper.

b92n746.jpg

Meanwhile, the lower part of the roof will be of a shallower pitch, roughly as show below. A beam will form the 'join' between the two pitches. That beam may or may not be removable. Whatever, the shallow pitched roof will be removable, and there may be different versions of it, in different states of repair. I'm wondering if it might be possible to make the red brick section below it in a similar removable way, with other versions of that as well.

6ezIlUl.jpg

Obviously, the nearside corner and barge boards will need re-modelling.

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 7