PIT STOP. click on link on my 'signature' for vids

22 minutes ago, Hewy said:

What a great diorama in progress,  by the way parallelity, tis a great word, i hope it's real. apart from great dio's, you should do a bit for the oxford dictionary, love the barn door, and the plaster moldings

Glynn 

Thanks Hewy,

Parallelity.  I was hoping I'd just made it up, and I could have claimed to have invented a word. But no, it does already exist.

Still, it's not as upsetting as when I invented a 'false fishing reel' so that match anglers could set up several fishing rods with line, floats and hooks in-situ, but requiring only one actual reel - the false reel could then be removed from whichever rod, and the real reel inserted. That could save a committed match angler maybe 400-500 quid in reels. Turns out some beggar had invented that already as well. And I'd been match fishing for 40yrs and had never seen one on the market. 

Thanks for 'liking' my barn doors. I wasn't sure if they were as good as the #1's.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Badder said:

Thanks Hewy,

Parallelity.  I was hoping I'd just made it up, and I could have claimed to have invented a word. But no, it does already exist.

Still, it's not as upsetting as when I invented a 'false fishing reel' so that match anglers could set up several fishing rods with line, floats and hooks in-situ, but requiring only one actual reel - the false reel could then be removed from whichever rod, and the real reel inserted. That could save a committed match angler maybe 400-500 quid in reels. Turns out some beggar had invented that already as well. And I'd been match fishing for 40yrs and had never seen one on the market. 

Thanks for 'liking' my barn doors. I wasn't sure if they were as good as the #1's.

Rearguards,

Badder

Same as me badder always late to the party .fair do's for knowledge of the queens english 

Edited by Hewy

Catching up again, some very impressive work with the barn doors, nothing looks as good as wood as real wood

Was also interesting to add to my vocabulary with parallility, although I'm really uncertain when I'm going to be able to fit it into a sentence, probably going to have to hang around builders a bit more, but then I've found their grasp of vocabulary leaves a lot to be desired, this is bought home by the continued use of the plural of you,  "youse", and the past tense of see, as in "seen" eg

"We seen that" I often thought it may be because they don't want to use the correct word "saw" to avoid confusion, as in "We saw that" then have an apprentice cut up something that didn't need it

Of course all of this may be not relevant in the Old Country, but getting extremely prevalent here in the former colony 

As your little builders are French I cannot offer anything to that, except maybe your build and the real thing would have some parallilty.  :coat:

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Graeme H said:

Catching up again, some very impressive work with the barn doors, nothing looks as good as wood as real wood

Was also interesting to add to my vocabulary with parallility, although I'm really uncertain when I'm going to be able to fit it into a sentence, probably going to have to hang around builders a bit more, but then I've found their grasp of vocabulary leaves a lot to be desired, this is bought home by the continued use of the plural of you,  "youse", and the past tense of see, as in "seen" eg

"We seen that" I often thought it may be because they don't want to use the correct word "saw" to avoid confusion, as in "We saw that" then have an apprentice cut up something that didn't need it

Of course all of this may be not relevant in the Old Country, but getting extremely prevalent here in the former colony 

As your little builders are French I cannot offer anything to that, except maybe your build and the real thing would have some parallilty.  :coat:

Hi Graeme,

Brilliant. That really made me laugh.

Over here, spelling and grammar are far worse than they used to be. I blame texting and a rise in class sizes at schools.

Yes, we get 'I seen that' and in certain parts of the Kingdom 'Youse', but the things that 'get my goat' are....

SPOKEN WORD:

'I should of' instead of 'I should have'

'I aksed a question',

WRITTEN WORD:

'I'll proberbly see you tomorrow'

'It's definately a man thing'

Of course, I'm being highly hypocritical because...

Oi be a 'Wescunnry lad an oi tawks loike a roite prapper faaaaarmer an oi is always gettin me grammur wrong un um!

Rearguards

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

One of the OTHER disadvantages of my unplanned approach to building-building is having to cut doorways and window apertures through walls when those walls are already fixed to others!

I didn't want to risk laying the building on its side, or upside down, in order to use a razor saw, so had to use a scalpel and cut through with the building positioned as is.

It's taken me an hour, on and off.

I know this doorway is going to be hidden (unless you get down low and peer through windows or under floorboards) but I had to put it in. There had to be access to the stairway from the main downstairs room, other than going out of the front door and walking around to a side door!

9nIgk51.jpg

I haven't quite finished with the filing of the door aperture. I have to take off a bit more top and sides so as to allow for the addition of the door jambs. The floor level camera-side will be pretty flush with the bottom of the door. This is the door 'borrowed' from the upper floor. I'm thinking now that it will be permanently 'borrowed' as it is very simple and requires no further work. I can make a better one for the upstairs.

TFL

Badder

• Like 7

I stopped in and up on discovering your missive. I was struck by what I was seeing.  Looking at all the building being- uh- built, scraped, skim coated ,worn, inked, impressed by ball points, and colorized to within an inch (should I have said mm?) of its life; I can only utter a sustained WOW!

I feel badly that I have missed the evolution of this tour de force in the diorama side of modeling, until now .  Very Well Done Sir.  I shall, if I may be so bold, squeeze back into this small corner next to the debris from your work and sit in rapt wonderment as you continue to produce an amazement in the art of "dio-rama-icry".   

OH, and just one small point. The block at the front left of the right rear just behind the colored plaster is 1.132 of a mm out of size. But I'm sure you knew that anyway. 

As many say, in the country of my birth, "Have a Nice DAY" 😁

Edited by Prop Duster
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Prop Duster said:

I stopped in and up on discovering your missive. I was struck by what I was seeing.  Looking at all the building being- uh- built, scraped, skim coated ,worn, inked, impressed by ball points, and colorized to within an inch (should I have said mm?) of its life; I can only utter a sustained WOW!

I feel badly that I have missed the evolution of this tour de force in the diorama side of modeling, until now .  Very Well Done Sir.  I shall, if I may be so bold, squeeze back into this small corner next to the debris from your work and sit in rapt wonderment as you continue to produce an amazement in the art of "dio-rama-icry".   

OH, and just one small point. The block at the front left of the right rear just behind the colored plaster is 1.132 of a mm out of size. But I'm sure you knew that anyway. 

As many say, in the country of my birth, "Have a Nice DAY" 😁

Hi Steve, and welcome.

I read your tag as Crop Duster BTW and thought of Cary Grant being chased across a corn field. Dunno how old you are, but it was a film made before I was born!

Thank you for stumbling in and spending the time and effort to have a look and type such kind comments. I don't think I've ever received so many 'likes' from one person in one 'sitting'.

I am glad that you've found the thread interesting enough to wade through. Believe me, I was rubbish when I first returned to this hobby after a 35yr gap, but joining BM and watching others work was the best learning curve there is, so I post this stuff hoping that there's some stuff of use to someone.

However, I do fear at times that I waffle, like now, so I will just say thanks again, and I hope you find the rest of this thread helpful.

Rearguards

Badder.

ps I'm hoping that was a joke about the inaccurate 'block'. If not, I'm going to have to scrap the entire building and start again.

Edited by Badder

58 minutes ago, Badder said:

Hi Steve, and welcome.

I read your tag as Crop Duster BTW and thought of Cary Grant being chased across a corn field. Dunno how old you are, but it was a film made before I was born!

Thank you for stumbling in and spending the time and effort to have a look and type such kind comments. I don't think I've ever received so many 'likes' from one person in one 'sitting'.

I am glad that you've found the thread interesting enough to wade through. Believe me, I was rubbish when I first returned to this hobby after a 35yr gap, but joining BM and watching others work was the best learning curve there is, so I post this stuff hoping that there's some stuff of use to someone.

However, I do fear at times that I waffle, like now, so I will just say thanks again, and I hope you find the rest of this thread helpful.

Rearguards

Badder.

ps I'm hoping that was a joke about the inaccurate 'block'. If not, I'm going to have to scrap the entire building and start again.

Ah, Yes, Crop, Prop, I can see how that could happen , 'prubly my accent-don' sha know?   As to that "errant block". Well if I'm honest, it was just a wee tiny bit of fun. Hoping that you would understand ( and forgive) pooh_lol.gif

Model On good sir, I'll be a ways behind ya. 

p.s. I like waffles too.   Also, I was in the theater the night Mr. Grant made his mad dash, however, I have firmly resolved to never grow up. yo.gif

• Haha 1

A few weeks ago I saw this broom in a pavement display outside an old fashioned hardware store, and just had to buy it. For a few quid I got myself several hundreds of perfectly straight, narrow diameter, plastic 'rods'.

iL2ScDb.jpg

They will be very handy and serve many uses - the first being balusters for my stairway.

Now, rather than try drilling tiny holes down the stairs and inserting the bristles, I once again decided to lay things out and tack them to graph paper with dabs of CA. This way I could get the spacings right. Because, truth be told, the stairs aren't perfectly regular, and if I were to insert the balusters at the lip (for instance) of each step, the spacings would vary.

8GGAqDQ.jpg

Once the graph paper has served its purpose, it can be removed fairly easily. Soaking with water helps with the stubborn bits.

It was then a case of dry-fitting the stairway/floor, positioning the banisters and working out where to trim the balusters.

CXy7buE.jpg

I've propped the bottom of the stairs up on a block which signifies the depth of the floor.

vIvl9Sl.jpg

vIvl9Sl.jpg

The recently painted blue door (which was the one originally intended for the upper floor), the stairway and the upper floor are only dry-fitted here.

The hardest bit will be to find a suitable material for the banister rail.... and then to fix it in place. I am thinking of maybe using a flattened 'half-pipe' of paper soaked in CA.

TFL

Badder

• Like 7

Waste not, want not.....

A scrap of graph paper, folded around a coffee stirrer to create a long 'half-pipe'. 

XV2Y8Mp.jpg

With the bend formed, I dribbled medium CA along the fold and rubbed it in until it dried hard.

The CA dries and turns the paper into a plastic-like material. I could then amputate the half-pipe, the stiffness of the paper preserving the roundness of the bend.

yIynbl0.jpg

It was then a simple case of dribbling CA down the half-pipe and popping it over the balusters.

HpNg2Az.jpg

BTW, I've used paper-soaked CA before, to make gutters for the building in my Ever Evolving Diorama.   Something I'd learned back then was that CA turns paper into something which is then possible to sand and file.

There will have to be more railings upstairs, to stop people from falling down the hole.

TFL

Badder

• Like 6

Damn, that looks good. I am constantly impressed by your ingenuity. I sit here writing up a list of Plastruct for my next hobby order (around £200 and climbing at the moment 😊) and then pop in here and see you doing this great work on a shoestring. I wonder if I'm really missing something here? 😉

Keep on keeping on, mate!

Kev

• Like 1

I love to make  ca and paper parts. Many times it is so much simpler than styrene, and once painted who's to know?----well usually me,  usually.🤔

Edited by Prop Duster
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, modelman182 said:

Damn, that looks good. I am constantly impressed by your ingenuity. I sit here writing up a list of Plastruct for my next hobby order (around £200 and climbing at the moment 😊) and then pop in here and see you doing this great work on a shoestring. I wonder if I'm really missing something here? 😉

Keep on keeping on, mate!

Kev

Hi Kev, and thanks.

I'm repeating myself, but I discovered the CA'd paper thing by accident, funnily enough when I was making the MiniArt 'Ruined Village House' nearly 2 years ago. I say 'funnily' because that's the very house which became the main part of the building I am now....er... building here.

MiniArt buildings are made up of vacuformed parts so when you join the inner and outer parts of a wall together the finished wall is hollow and compressible. And the contact areas for glue around the edges are tiny, so I thought to pack the insides with cardboard and paper first, to massively increase the contacts for glue and also to stop the walls being 'spongy'. Dousing the paper and cardboard with CA, I discovered that the paper set very rigid, like plastic, and so I later used it to make guttering for another building.

There are times of course, where wood or plastic are better, but in this case I couldn't see how I would securely glue a strip of plastic or wood along the tops of the balusters. Some might do the 'proper' thing and drill tiny holes in the hand rail for the balusters to fit into, but that's beyond my capabilites.

It's not exactly a motto, but I will nearly always use a 'found' mateiral to make things, rather than purchase materials or kits. Whenever I am out and about I will be on the look out for anything that might come in useful in the future.

Rearguards,

Badder

2 hours ago, Prop Duster said:

I love to make  ca and paper parts. Many times it is so much simpler than styrene, and once painted who's to know?----well usually me,  usually.🤔

Hi Steve,

There's not many of us about TBH.  I don't know why.

I find Thin CA is the best to use, but I'm using medium at the moment because I've run out of thin.

Rearguards,

Badder

A bit more weathering to do here, and a knob to add to the top of the post at the bottom. I'm sure there's a name for it, (the post) but it slips my mind at the moment.

The post is made from the plastic tube of a cotton wool 'lug 'ole cleaner'. Yeah, I know they are called 'cotton wool buds' and you're not supposed to stick them in your ear, but that's what EVERYONE uses them for.

bqxcCjT.jpg

Contrary to what I said a few pages ago, I am going to make a 'cupboard under the stairs', mainly because I like this shade of blue I've been using and will have the opportunity to use it some more.

TFL

Badder

• Like 5

"...and a knob to add to the top of the post at the bottom. I'm sure there's a name for it, (the post) but it slips my mind at the moment."    Newel Posts  &  Q-Tip in my homeland, Cotton Bud I've heard bandied about in the UK, I thought. But for an all encompassing name I really like:  …"'cotton-wool -buds'- and- you're- not- supposed- to- stick- them- in- your- ear,- but -that's- what- EVERYONE -uses -them-for."  because it's incorporates all the needed explanation of the product.1010.gif

Cheers  beer_cheers2.jpg

• Haha 1

Ah yes, 'NEWEL' and Q-tips.

Thanks for that. It was doin' my head in.

BTW. I didn't know your beer came in proper 'mugs' over there. I hope that beer is warm or it doesn't qualify.

Rearguards,

Badder

Using more 'found' material; diamond pattered rubber mat. This stuff is hard to come by, but is fantastic for representing block/tiled floors.

9scjupV.jpg

I think I'm going to go for tarred, wood-block flooring. Probably. I suspect. Maybe.

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 9

Hi Badder. Hope you are well. Just been doing my usual catch-up and, as usual, I have thoroughly enjoyed seeing how impressive your ability is to recreate very realistic natural effects. I have also been impressed by your inventiveness - for example the brush bristles. Awesome modelling. :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Like 1

Thanks @PlaStix

Sorry for the late reply. I did reply early this afternoon but somehow I lost connection midway through typing. I don't know if it was the BM website or my laptop, but it's happened a few times recently.

I am well-ish. Going great guns with my insulin regime, but I'm in a lot of pain with my CIDP. The pills that have been 'life-improving' for the past couple of years have suddenly ceased to be so effective. It may be that I'm in relapse with my CIDP, or it may be a side-effect of a temporary change in my role at work. Whatever, it's knackering and I'm falling asleep a lot as a result. Hence the very slow progress on this building.

Well, you did ask! 😁

As for my 'inventiveness' some would call it being a skinflint!

That broom was a great purchase though.

I've just melted the tip of one bristle to make a doorknob!

Rearguards

Badder

• Like 1
  • Sad 1