PIT STOP. click on link on my 'signature' for vids

3 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Badder i can not believe the length you have gone too and the sheer level of detail you have put into this farm house...it's a stand alone model in it's own right anything that goes next to it is gonna have to be next level to even stand a chance of not being overshadowed by it ....it is simply stunning.

I would love to do a collaboration with you and a couple of others i've seen on these forums , the quality of work here is jaw dropping:gobsmacked:

'Ow do chap.

I can't believe the lengths I got too either, believe me!

Unlike most, including you, I rarely ever plan a diorama's layout to anything other than a rough idea.. I have a picture in my head at the outset, but as I come to build components those components, like this building, 'evolve' and that obviously changes the size and shape of the thing. That then alters which side of the building looks more interesting, and that has a knock-on effect on where and at what angle it should sit on the base.

Of course, the time spent making a component is much longer than it might be. For instance I was never intending to detail the inside of the living quarters upstairs and downstairs to anything other than a 'basic' level as I didn't intend them to be openly visible to the eye. And that lead to having to dismantle the side walls, and that lead to the replacing the plaster walls with FTINFBISS ones instead.

I liked how it looked about 7 pages ago, but now I'm liking it even more, so it was the right thing to do. And as I said to Ozzy, there's another bit I've never been too happy with, so that's going to be altered as well.

I do have 3 finished AFVs which I'm happy with. All with worn winter camo, and all intended to feature in this diorama. They won't all appear on it together though. The diorama will be the base for each one, photographed separately. Those AFVs have been finished off to a point where they look good as they are, but will each have mud/snow and possibly a final touch-up with whitewash. I've left off doing that so that I can match the AFVs to the finished dio, and not the other way around.

Thanks for your kind comments. It's always nice to get a jaw-dropper or the like!

Stay safe,

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Badder said:

Hi Clive,

Thanks very much. Kind of you to say. I am happy to say that I think it is getting better as time goes on. But only because I keep re-doing bits, or come up with fresh things to add. I had another thought today and will be altering the red brick wall with the barn doors. And that will mean having to alter one of the internal supporting walls as well (again!) But that won't be too big a job and the end result will actually kill two birds with one stone, because I've always disliked the pitch of the roof. (MiniArt's 'fault', not mine)

Hope you and yours are well.

Stay safe,

Rearguards,

Badder

I’m very well and so are the family thanks for asking, hope you and yours are to. Sounds like you’ve got you weekend planned, I’ve been away from my bench for over 3 weeks on a course in Lincolnshire. Looking forward to getting on with some modelling when I get back.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Progress has been slow because I was trying to figure out how best to raise the height of the roof over the central 'room' of this building. I had the idea to raise the red brickwork 'barn door' section and adjust the angle of the roof slope with more red bricks; a bit of a bodge job, but something  the building's owner might have done. But looking more closely this would requie a fair bit of work. I still may do it though.

But then, I though perhaps I could just hint at 'the raising of the roof, and not actually build it all. Then I thought  'leave it' and sort other things out; which is what I'm in the process of doing now.

Ther first thing I did was to increase the size of the main living quarters upstairs and down, by moving the other 2/3rds of the building further away from the end gable wall. This required a stretching of the long rear wall, and the widths of the ground chequered floor and the room above. So, I cut the long wall at the 'stretch point and moved it along so that the window apertures matched up with those in the repositioned 2/3rds of the building. I will have to fill in the breach now existing at the 'stretch point'. I will aslo have to add a strip of chequered flooring to the ground floor. I've already added extra floorboards to the room above but will have to add some more.

I have also done some additional work on the  other gable wall, improving the mortar gaps in the stonework, and trimming some of that stonework off. I'm thinking of extending the red brickwork 'barn door' section right across to this end of the building and having another set of barn doors here as well.

Here's how things stand at the moment, the 6 components of the bulding all dry-fitted. The stretch point in the rear wall is obvious. Not so obvious is the repositioning of the 2/3rds of the building interior, about 1.5cm to the right.

vh4x282.jpg

LThP8Ce.jpg

rzDVbcX.jpg

The photo below shows the increase in width of the living quarters, here part filled by two new  floorboards,

tK4PzYe.jpg

And the roughly re-worked gable end, which I may 'collaspe' even further.

wrgvrDW.jpg

TFL

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 6

It's hard to get a perspective on the size of this building be nice to see it next to something relative to get some scale.

It's coming along well and you have the patience of a saint....i have a limited time to do anything before my mind is actively searching for the next project so i appreciate the long term nature of this build.

Keep up the great work bud i will be following with interest.

• Like 1

Just now, M3talpig said:

It's hard to get a perspective on the size of this building be nice to see it next to something relative to get some scale.

It's coming along well and you have the patience of a saint....i have a limited time to do anything before my mind is actively searching for the next project so i appreciate the long term nature of this build.

Keep up the great work bud i will be following with interest.

Hi Steve,

First off, I wasn't logged into BM 'lurking' and waiting for a reply.  I just popped in between you 'liking' this post and then you commenting on it, and as I type this, you 'liking' something in my Ever Evolvin' Dio thread!

Thanks for the support!

In answer to your question, the buidling above was sat on an A1-sized drawing board, if that helps. If not the building is 37 cm x 19cm and 23cm high, not including the chimney stack. It will swamp anything smaller than a Tiger I, so when I get around to the photos there will be other vehicles and figures in the dio.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Badder said:

Hi Steve,

First off, I wasn't logged into BM 'lurking' and waiting for a reply.  I just popped in between you 'liking' this post and then you commenting on it, and as I type this, you 'liking' something in my Ever Evolvin' Dio thread!

Thanks for the support!

In answer to your question, the buidling above was sat on an A1-sized drawing board, if that helps. If not the building is 37 cm x 19cm and 23cm high, not including the chimney stack. It will swamp anything smaller than a Tiger I, so when I get around to the photos there will be other vehicles and figures in the dio.

Rearguards,

Badder

You know when i look at this building i see three m4 shermans refitting and restocking with ammo and perhaps a willys or two and a bunch of crewman all looking busy and drinking coffee and smoking.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

You know when i look at this building i see three m4 shermans refitting and restocking with ammo and perhaps a willys or two and a bunch of crewman all looking busy and drinking coffee and smoking.

Originally I was making a dio for a winter StuG III, but the part of THIS building I'd made, completely swamped it. I then made Tamiya's lovely m4a3e Easy Eight, also in worn winter camo and decided to adapt the building (as it existed back then) into a larger one, extending it by 50 percent. With the Sherman being over twice the height of the StuG, it stood up much better.  But I wanted something to go with the Sherman and plumped for a Willys Jeep. The diorama then, was going to depict a 'Pit Stop' for the Sherman, in Jan 45, near Bastogne. The jeep would be bringing rations, ammunition, supplies, or just personnel  to a make-shift re-supply/foreward OP based in the building, and the Sherman would be taking the opportunity to take on supplies, or something like that.

I've since made a Nashorn, and a Tiger 1, both with winter camo and thought why make a dio for each, when I can use the dio for all three? So, this dio, when finished, will be a 'blank canvas'. I will be able to place any one of those AFVs in the dio and photograph them. I will of course have extra scenery for each. There will be suitable figures and supplies for all three, the Willys Jeep for the Sherman, an as yet unpurchased supply vechicle for the Tiger (possibly a Krupp Protz). As for the Nashorn, it will be displayed 'in action' and therefore 'out on it's own', but I can add Russian signposts and maybe even a knocked out T-34.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Happy birthday mate🎂🎂

4 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Happy Birthday Badder! :cake:

I hope you are having a pleasant day.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks chaps,

I had a couple of beers and got pampered by the wife, so yes, it was a pleasant day thank you!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 3

Progress has been slow, but steady.

Basically, I'm fitting the inner '2-roomed' section' of the building to the living quarters section. That means that I've added a strip of chequered floor to fill the gap between the floor and the chimney wall and I've begun to fit floorboards around the chimney on the upper floor. I've also fixed the longer length of the 'chopped' rear wall to the inner section and I'm reworking the last gable wall, collapsing it further down towards the ground.

Unfortunately Imgur is down, so I can't upload photos yet.

TFL

Badder

Here's the gable wall, which I've chopped down further. It's in a rough state at the moment, but I will be working on the stonework. A lot of this wall will be covered in ivy though, so I really only  need to refine the stone blocks at the corners and along the top edges. As you can see, I've continued applying green washes to all parts, building up those layers.

CoaOpOc.jpg

xnPIP0E.jpg

Here I am in the process of adding the extra floorboards. The floorboards here are attached to the left hand wall, whilst the chimney is attached to the right hand section of the building which is still 'dry-fitted to the former. I took the chimney stack off some time ago to allow me better access to the interior and not risk damaging either.

1oBpoY1.jpg

And for @M3talpig's benefit, here's my most recent model for a sense of scale. This Tiger will be photographed on this diorama and will have more mud applied to it, as well as some more whitewash (possibly) and snow.

G4Tt7Sg.jpg

RpVmEIm.jpg

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 5

Hi Badder

The scale on the house looks great imposing but not over the top....i don't know why but from the pictures i had something bigger in my minds eye ...the Tiger gives it some perspective.

On the Tiger, the weathering looks amazing nicely done .....honestly leave it alone the tiger is done any more will over do it..... i was always taught that when you think you need to do that one last job ...that's when you know it's finished.

Of course that just my opinion but the above statement has served me well in the past.

Nice to see your project moving along mate.

Keep well bud 

Steve

Edited by M3talpig
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Hi Badder

The scale on the house looks great imposing but not over the top....i don't know why but from the pictures i had something bigger in my minds eye ...the Tiger gives it some perspective.

On the Tiger, the weathering looks amazing nicely done .....honestly leave it alone the tiger is done any more will over do it..... i was always taught that when you think you need to do that one last job ...that's when you know it's finished.

Of course that just my opinion but the above statement has served me well in the past.

Nice to see your project moving along mate.

Keep well bud 

Steve

Hi Steve,

As the 'seed' for the building was a MiniArt's  'ruined village house' I was kind of stuck with the height of the building. I did lower the height of the front door and dropped the window aperture and upper floor level down by about 1cm because MiniArt tend to make their doorways and floor levels too high IMHO.  Obviously the supporting wall opposite had to be the same height, but I did lower the roof height for the remaining 2/3rds of the building.

Thanks for the praise of my Tiger. That was made for a Group Build last year. I don't know if you've ventured down the pages to Group Builds, but they are also good reference material. I must confess that I didn't discover them for a couple of years, but have since taken part in 3. I was intending to add mud to the Tiger's tracks and still do, as the diorama is going to be thawing snow and mud. I also envisaged doing something quite unusual, and I'm still intending to do that. So, the Tiger will change a bit. But yes, your addage is very true.

On a different note, and it's not actually an issue with me, but some people don't like their pages being filled up with photos in a 'qoute' (especially on mobiles) as it slows down their browser's processing. So, if you can just select and highlight the relevant section of script, and not the photos, a 'quote this' notice will pop up and you just click on that.

We are doing okay still, although my stepdaughter (an accountant) was moved to help the front line NHS staff, and her colleague, also 29 and fit and healthy, has just died from the virus... all very, very, worrying for her and my wife, and everyone else.

Short of wearing NBC gear, there's not a lot more care I could take!

You and yours take more care and more with each passing day.

Rearguards,

Badder.

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Badder said:

On a different note, and it's not actually an issue with me, but some people don't like their pages being filled up with photos in a 'qoute' (especially on mobiles) as it slows down their browser's processing. So, if you can just select and highlight the relevant section of script, and not the photos, a 'quote this' notice will pop up and you just click on that.

Ok didn't realise you could do that but as you can see i do now ;) thanks and sorry to anybody i did that too .....i had no idea that feature was a thing.

52 minutes ago, Badder said:

We are doing okay still, although my stepdaughter (an accountant) was moved to help the front line NHS staff, and her colleague, also 29 and fit and healthy, has just died from the virus... all very, very, worrying for her and my wife, and everyone else.

Jeez that's frightening i'm 50 and fairly fit and healthy (gave up smoking 7-8 years ago) never thought the youngsters would be hit like that. Only left the house twice in the last two weeks ....honestly though i really don't think we have much control at this point , i mean it's just as likely you could get it of an envelope from your postman or a tin you picked up in the shop...3 days it survives on surfaces, be just my luck i will get it on my order from Humbrol.

Just drink tea and keep that British stiff upper lip i'm certain most of us will be fine.

Stay well bud 

Steve

• Like 1

8 hours ago, M3talpig said:

That weathering was done using my 'if you don't like it, do it again and again and again until you do' technique. I am using acrylic inks for most of my work now and it has just the right properties to allow me the luxury of multiple changes. I am not exaggerating when I say there were around 10 different 'looks' to this Tiger before I finally settled on this one... and even now, there is going to be one small change. BTW this Tiger was Tamiya's old classice Tiger 1 early which I opened up and inserted a scratchbuilt engine. That thing took longer to make than the whole tank did! I doubt I'll be trying anything similar in the future!

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder

Hi Badder,

I see that you continue with the project, and that it has details that I love, such as the fireplace and the floor with "checkerboard".
I can imagine it once finished, with a vehicle next to it and a group of figures to give it a touch of life and proportion ...

Take care and keep up the good work.
Cheers mate.
Francis.👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Hi Badder,

I see that you continue with the project, and that it has details that I love, such as the fireplace and the floor with "checkerboard".
I can imagine it once finished, with a vehicle next to it and a group of figures to give it a touch of life and proportion ...

Take care and keep up the good work.
Cheers mate.
Francis.👍

Hi again Francis,

It is great to have you grace the pages of the dioramas forum. Thanks again for your comments and support.

Yes, the building will appear with vehicles and figures, but also with snow.  The building is large,  but by collapsing the roof it will look less imposing than it would otherwise.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Progress has occured, mostly in the refining of details and additional washes here and there, but I've also begun to envisage the collapsed floor and have started making the 'debris'. Oh, and I cleaned the chequered floor back as well as I realised half of it would be more sheltered and therefore cleaner.

q7Adpdm.jpg

I CA'd some paper 'wall plaster' to the walls upstairs and downstairs and gave it a preliminary wash  (extreme left of photo) I'll be adding some more plaster to the RHS of the downstairs wall. Once I'm happy with those areas of wall plaster I will continue with making more debris (floorboards and joists) which will eventually be scattered on the chequered floor.

TFL

Badder

s1kGAIp.jpg

• Like 8

Hi Badder,
Good detail with the plaster, although I am experienced in this discipline, the appearance it takes seems very authentic.
I see some small strands of "wood" on the floor next to what looks like a wooden beam, near where the coffered ceiling is broken, which is a small detail that for me does give a feeling of reality. Maybe you can add more, if you consider so, or maybe it is some "rest" that was out there during the process ... lol.
Take care.
Francis 👍

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

I see some small strands of "wood" on the floor next to what looks like a wooden beam, near where the coffered ceiling is broken, which is a small detail that for me does give a feeling of reality. Maybe you can add more, if you consider so, or maybe it is some "rest" that was out there during the process ... lol.
Take care.
Francis 👍

Thanks Francis,

The collapsed floor is only dry-fitted and will be added to. I'm making that first as it would have been the first thing to collapse into the ground floor room. There will be a lot more debris to follow; more broken floor beams laying around, plus collapsed stonework and a lot of debris from the collapsed roof, plus chunks of wall plaster, dust and shattered glass. 

It's just a case of working out the order in which things collapsed and fell. It would be silly to have all the roof tiles buried under collapsed roof beams and rafters for example, or floorboards lying on top of roof beams.A lot of that will only be seen by looking down on the diorama, but I am still thinking about collapsing the 'front' wall right down to the window sill, and that will open the room up to view. 

Keep safe my friend,

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have made a little bit of progress, in between the musings over what to do with the central room. I've CA'd the collapsed and fallen floor joists in position on the checquered floor. and have started making blocks of fallen stonework. Everything here is dry-fitted apart from the joists laying on the floor. There'll be lots more stonwork to add, plus parts of the collapsed roof.

LCKtX56.jpg

Qe1vnhT.jpg

LCKtX56.jpg

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 4

You've probably thought of that, but maybe some of the fallen stones should be broken, have mortar residue on them etc... Some of them might still be partly attached. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JeroenS said:

You've probably thought of that, but maybe some of the fallen stones should be broken, have mortar residue on them etc... Some of them might still be partly attached. 

Hi Jeroen,

Thanks for watching, and for taking the time to comment. Yes, I have given it a lot of thought, and that's what I was planning to do.   Way back when I first started making this building, I intended that it should be characteristic of the Ardennes, so I googled lots of images of Ardennes farmhouses.  They were all fairly 'rustic' in construction and probably built and maintained by several generations of the same family, rather than by skilled builders, so I imagine them as not being up to the same standard as 'town houses' in terms of finesse. I suspect the strength of the walls was determined more by the size and weight of the stones,  than it was by the quality of the mortar, so I doubt large sections of wall would fall and remain 'in one piece'.  There will be a few chunks though, of two or three stones still joined together. At the moment I've just roughed out some 'loose' stones that will form the bulk of the debris. There seemed little point in detailing them much further as they will be buried under yet more debris.

Stay safe,

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 2