PIT STOP. click on link on my 'signature' for vids

Ahh the look of 999 (well, it's what I counted) coffee stirrers.... I love stuff like that, I always order my pipettes in quantities like that, a huge bag of thingies is a lovely sight indeed and a safe feeling to have so many... 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Badder said:

I personally can't call my work 'perfection' because I see all the little bits that could be better.

Hi Badder,

To those of us who do not have either the skills, patience or time to even get anywhere close to what you are presenting here 'perfection' is considered to be a demonstration of the achievable through learning, self discipline and the progress of time. You are. IMHO, a modeller whose endeavours are a perfect example to all who wish to achieve more than something OOTB with their work. I would appreciate a link to your other dio WIP, one can never get enough inspiration.

10 hours ago, Badder said:

Thanks for your continued, kind and humorous support

Humour can be a Minefield that should be laid with great caution, I'm pleased that you accept my humour in some comments as it is intended.

Gerry 

• Like 1

On 8/10/2020 at 7:23 AM, JeroenS said:

Ahh the look of 999 (well, it's what I counted) coffee stirrers.... I love stuff like that, I always order my pipettes in quantities like that, a huge bag of thingies is a lovely sight indeed and a safe feeling to have so many... 

Hi Joeren,

I didn't think I'd ever had a thousand of anything before. but then I had a think about it and realised I had pubic lice once..... I jest. 🤣🤣🤣

I had to buy the coffee stirrers online. I used to borrow them from coffee shops, but I'm being shielded at home so I had no choice. They were very cheap though, and should last me a few years, hopefully. I'm going to have a problem getting some of my acrylic inks though.

Take care,

Rearguards,

Badder

On 8/10/2020 at 10:22 AM, GerryW said:
On 8/10/2020 at 12:09 AM, Badder said:

I personally can't call my work 'perfection' because I see all the little bits that could be better.

Hi Badder,

To those of us who do not have either the skills, patience or time to even get anywhere close to what you are presenting here 'perfection' is considered to be a demonstration of the achievable through learning, self discipline and the progress of time. You are. IMHO, a modeller whose endeavours are a perfect example to all who wish to achieve more than something OOTB with their work. I would appreciate a link to your other dio WIP, one can never get enough inspiration.

On 8/10/2020 at 12:09 AM, Badder said:

Thanks for your continued, kind and humorous support

Humour can be a Minefield that should be laid with great caution, I'm ple Just ased that you accept my humour in some comments as it is intended.

Gerry 

Hi again Gerry,

You are too kind, but thanks.

There are some things I consider myself incapable of.... figure and in particular face-painting being one! Yes, I've watched lots of videos, but my nerve-damaged fingers just aren't up to the job of controlling a super-fine brush with such precision. The best I've managed was just using coats and washes, with a technical drawing pen for the eyes' irises. I will still practice in the future, but I've steered clear of figures for over a year now! Luckily I don't need to make any until this dio is finished. 🤔 Meanwhile, everything seen in this thread has required no detail painting at all. I did pick out some individual red bricks, but even there I sometimes used coloured pencils.

As for humour being a minefield, well, yes, I was upset by what you said for about a month, but having posted your comments on FB,  51 percent of my friends said that you were 'joking' and I shouldn't be upset.  So, I have accepted the majority view. 🤣

TC

Reargaurds,

Badder.

I can't remember if I showed the stonework with a base coat of my version of dark earth... black, yellow and red earth acrylic ink. It's too hot to waste energy turning back a page and check. Anyway, that's what I painted it with, but not before I'd run horizontally over the stonework with a pad of Emery cloth to impart some sedimentary layering within the sandstone..... hahahaha I should have been a geologist! After an initial carving of the stonework I gave it a wash with plaster dust, which gets into the grooves, dries white and highlights any messy areas.  After that, I decided to re-carve a lot of the grooves making them much deeper, tidying them up at the same time.

I then washed away any remaining plaster dust that the scalpel hadn't removed and gave the stonework some patchy washes of green acrylic ink, for no reason other than to see what it looked like.

tq4usmo.jpg

xdWxQZS.jpg

After that, I applied another wash with plaster dust. 

j55CgTo.jpg

This time, I will apply green ink washes and then only remove some of the plaster from the grooves. Plaster dust on the surfaces will either be removed, or moved about with a damp brush. I often mix fairy liquid into green 'mossy' washes as when the bubbles pop the green is deposited in nice 'frothy' patterns. I do tend to mess about with those though, and might repeat the process several times until I'm happy. If I manage to get that done tonight I will post pics of that.

TF

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 6

I suspect I will fiddle with this some more, straightening out some wobbly mortar gaps, but those aside I'm happy with the effects. The plaster dust wash was rubbed back in places, washed about in others and picked out of some mortar gaps with a scalpel. A bit of green Japanese Grit Paint was used for the moss/algae.

iWGgqRV.jpg

I'll probably add some lighter green spots of moss. I also have to add the stonework up the sides of the window aperture. I should have done that earlier, but once I started painting/weathering the wall I was enjoying myself too much to stop.

Pff5wlJ.jpg

I always like the close-ups of my plaster-washed walls. They are one of the only things that look better close-up than actual size!

hQCfR09.jpg

ZD7Eh9u.jpg

Before I tackle the missing window surround, I'm going to start on the upper half of the wall, the red brickwork.

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 6

Mostly, I've been fiddling about with a few things here and there. I added a roof support beam, which ended up fouling the chimney stack, so I've trimmed it off for now. It will get repaired at that end. I also started building the corner of the gable wall, adding a section of red brickwork to the inner face. Meanwhile I ripped out 75 percent of the debris on the ground floor as the stonework and sections of roof no longer matched the surrounding walls and roof.  Now most of the debris will be roof tiles and batons, with the odd red brick.

n5FmzRo.jpg

The upper section of walls still has the graph paper stuck to it. It actually looks quite good as it is (I use paper as plaster or render) but this section is intended to be red brick. I will give it a the same treatment..... a layer of paper plaster/render.

NtKTFI8.jpg

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to move the new cross beam, partly because it fouled the chimney stack, but mostly because I realised I was going to have to add another cross beam lower down the roof where the two roof pitches met.  So, I killed two birds with one stone.  With the new cross beam in place at the join between the upper and lower roof sections, I could trim the rafters of both and slot them into to notches cut into the cross beam.    oJ2bkwl.jpg

I wanted to show how the tiles of the upper roof section overlapped those of the lower section, so I ran a row of tiles across the rafters on the left. When the lower roof section is fitted, its top row of tiles will slot under these. Otherwise, I can leave the lower section of roof off and photograph the building in its more decrepit state.

With the position of the cross beam permanently fixed, I trimmed the rafters of the lower roof section to fit, and finalised the tiling and the barge boards, and the woodwork under the eaves. I will be adding guttering. I still haven't decided what to do with the face of the wall.... render, red brickwork, or brownstone, but whatever, it will be a removable section. Here it is, removed from the building. cRL5USF.jpg

And here it is, in situ:

9dehRBx.jpg

NYUABTB.jpg

The positioning and sizes of the holes in the roof were influenced by the detailing of the interior. I liked the red brickwork 'repairs' at the apexes of the supporting walls, and the chimney stack, so wanted to be able to see these features from the outside.

qqWYKH1.jpg

I then decided to make a different version of the 'front' wall, to increase photographic opportunities. So, as well as the lower section of roof and front wall shown above, I am also making a collapsed roof and front wall which can be swapped over.

A piece of FTINFBISS was cut to slot in behind the lowermost section of front wall, and plaster cast red brickwork was CA'd to the top half.  The two following photo show how the assembly drops into place behind the lower wall, but how the red brickwork on the top half form the upper half of the outer wall.... I hope that makes sense!

OKbIDbb.jpg

Edf6ym1.jpg

I erred on the side of caution with this 'insert', making it taller than it need be. It will of course be trimmed to the correct height before I collapse it quite significantly. I will therefore have to make another version of the lower roof section - one that is almost completely collapsed. The debris from this collapsed version of the roof/wall will have to be made as well, and will also have to be removable! For that, I have a cunning plan! Wibble.

TFL

Badder

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 6

Badder

Once again I was trapped in my Covid bunker the darnd steel door rusted shut and I had left my only 20 Liter can of  "Rust-Cutting-Through-When -All-Else-Fails" and whale oil, fluid, in the room on the other side. Well needless to say I found a way out at last, (the bruises from the ordeal should be healed about the time this missive reaches you). I also assume the packet ship got underway in good order, despite the typhoon and reported small fire in the armory.

Regardless; to the pint   er- point of my communique. I was able to catch up with you current progress and not surprisingly am once again "gobsmacked" (so much fun the quaint expressions one learns) by you progress. Good Job all 'round.

Well I must start the carding of the sheep's wool to begin once again the spinning of needed thread to make my new face mask material (which once the smell of laloin dissipates, works quite well)

So for now, fair winds calm seas and good health- Covid be damned.

Seriously for a moment- you latest wall/tile/lumber construct seems to have surpassed many of those that have gone before. The progress and the "style" on creating stones seems to have matured and looks the better for it.

Stall well 

Edited by Prop Duster
  • Like 1

I've continued work on the 'inserts', firstly 'collapsing' the red brickwork. I then added 'render' to the wall exterior and interior. This render, or plaster, was made simply by CA'ing bits of torn and cut paper directly to the bricks and, in the case of the lower interior, to the FTINFBISS. Dirty water washes were then applied before running sandpaper over the paper. Some targetted washes followed. Split and cut Coffee stirrers were used to make the remains of the window frame and the lintel.

Exterior:5z1BIFF.jpg

Interior:  The raking light is making the paper render/plaster look much more bulky than it is. I may still sand a lot of it down though.

GUnzLbl.jpg

Not sure of the technical term, and I can't be bothered to look it up, but 'the beam that runs across the wall and holds the joists up' was a piece of stick which was found laying in my lane, attached to the remains of a burnt out firework rocket last november.

I then switched to working on the other insert. Firstly, I decided to remove the layer of paper covering the wall. Stupid me. In the process I damaged the paper window surrounds and had to remove them.  Luckily it's no big deal.  I moved on and made the window frames, again using split, cut and sanded coffee stirrers. I also added a few loose tiles, some of which are down in the 'hole' in the roof, resting on the rafters. And, rather than add the usual coffee stirrer window sill, I thought it would be interesting to use a row of tiles instead.

drk4FFJ.jpg

3akXU6z.jpg

The two inserts:

crAMG9g.jpg

And the 'nearly finished' insert slotted into plac

UJW5EgU.jpg

The sharp-eyed among you might notice that I've been fiddling with the bottom right hand corner of the roof and barge boards again. This is because I'm still in the process of getting both inserts to fit nicely, and look proper in respect of architectural construction, whilst one insert is relatively undamaged, and the other is collapsed. I believe I have figured out how best to do it now.

Before I get onto that though, I'm going to remake the stonework window surrounds, and make the window/frame for the ground floor.

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 4

On 9/8/2020 at 2:07 AM, Prop Duster said:

(which once the smell of laloin dissipates, works quite well)

So for now, fair winds calm seas and good health- Covid be damned.

Seriously for a moment- you latest wall/tile/lumber construct seems to have surpassed many of those that have gone before. The progress and the "style" on creating stones seems to have matured and looks the better for it.

Hi Steve,

I'm happy to read that you managed to escape. If you'd waited longer the rust would have done its job and the door would have fallen off its hinges. But I understand your impatience.  I was somewhat confused used by your comment about laloin.  I assumed this was pertinent to sheep, and a word of French origin, 'la loin'. I'm not sure if that's correct, but the 'smell of laloin' must be pretty gross indeed! Hang on. I'm just hearing on the grapevine that you meant lanolin. Tut. Those typos eh?

Thanks for liking my stones. I've used various methods to replicate them, but I've still not settled on my favourite. I do sometimes wonder if it would be easier to cast hundreds of individual stones/bricks and glue them all together individually. I suppose though, that casting entire walls in plaster is the best option, and then work on them. Whatever, the painting/weathering side is always great fun and that might explain why I re-paint and re-weather them so much!

Anyway, glad to hear you're doing okay. I ventured out of my locale for the first time since March last week, having to go for neurological tests at a distant hospital. It was quite a scary experience to actually be mere meters away from other human beings other than my wife. I was also surprised how much traffic was on the roads. I had imagined it would be post apocalyptic out there, but it was like any 'normal' day.  Mad world.

TC

Badder

Edited by Badder

I always find window frames a chore to make, and more so of late, simply because I'd forgotten that I had made myself a little jig to make the job easier! It's been a long while since I scratch-built windows! So, with the jig found lurking in an old tool box, I set about making the window for the upper floor  'intact' insert.

First, the jig. Just 2 pairs of coffee stirrers glued back to back and spaced to accept 2 coffee stirrers at a time.

nGQ8MRR.jpg

So, two stirrers can be slotted edgeways on, in the slot like so:

w7o0RC1.jpg

It's then a case of sanding the stirrers down to the level of the jig, or running a scalpel along the jig (with the blade flat against the jig guides, and removing the excess wood. Sanding gives a neater finish, but will wear the jig down over time. Cutting with a scalpel is ok, but needs sanding afterwards to get rid of any splinters. On the plus side, the excess, once removed is wide enough to be slotted into the groove and make more framework,

I then made the window frame and added glazing.  I construct my window frames by gluing them to a sheet of graph paper, keeping everything square and true. The paper helps hold the parts together until dry. I then cut around the window frame and remove it, but leave the paper attached to the rear of the frame and filling the place where the glass would go. I then run CA around the frame, turn the whole thing over and place it face down onto a sheet of transparent plastic. My plastic is sourced from supermarket shelf labelling. Once all that's dry, I paint the frames, including the paper on the reverse side. Once that's dry I soak the paper with water, and sand and pick the paper off. Where paper is left on the frame, it mimics layers of fresher paint which has not yet flaked off, like most of it has. That's not showing up so well in the photo below because I ran a dark wash over everything. Dry brushing will bring the 'flaky' paint back.

dUxSnwY.jpg

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 4

Badder " I'm just hearing on the grapevine that you meant lanolin. Tut. Those typos eh?"       Ahh yes . You wise gramerian you. Confound those pesky vowels and consents they are truly the bain of a creative mind such as mine .  However I have an excuse  - Reason- yeah, thats it. The dog barked just as I was setting fingers to keyboard and in the ensuing wild commotion I was unable to ---uh--that is to say, I wasn't paying attention to the text in regards to proofreading  every line----and so the dog is now banished to his bed, whenever I sit down to contact you and to once again revel in the warm glow of your creative genius. (cock-cough-cough  sorry there must have been a bit lint in me airway)  

Regardless, the most recent of you posts is an inspiring use of coffee stirrers. Though, I never cease to be amazed that the UK has, coffee stirrers, to presumably, stir Coffee. Which begs the question, does one use a "Tea stirrer" for that beverage ? Then there is Hot Chocolate, so do they too have a specific stirring device ? Hot Cider? Wassail at the Christmas events?---my mind simply reels   (NOT a totally unusual occurrence, I might add) . 

How-sum-ever (a native American colloquialism-replacing "howsoever" in the scattered rural  hinterlands  of my land). The use to of the jig is inspired. You may rest assured, I have had my top Engineering staff, the best Draftsmen, the Mold makers as well as Tool and Die makers, all hard at it to recreate, as well we can, your device.  Truth be told there is really only me but I multitask like a Beaver in the Spring. 

As always, wishing you good times, sunny days, and the skills to be  happy .  --------- As sound of me stirring my coffee on my desk, is heard in

the background. Swish,swish, swish swish.  

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Steve,

I don't drink coffee myself. 'Tis a foul substance' although I do like coffee liqueurs, coffee liqueur chocolates and coffee breaks.  (A specific break from work during which one is free to drink, or not drink coffee) As for coffee stirrers, I think they were invented to cut down on staffing costs, by switching tol 'self-service' coffee points. The wooden stirrers appeared soon after, in response to patrons stealing steel or silver tea spoons, the latter being the kind of cutlery laid out at 'top class' restaurants, and patronized by top class thieves. One suspects that one 'started at the bottom': stealing and selling steel spoons and, after making suitable profits, advancing to those higher circles. Although as you said, there they tend to drink tea, but it still moves in circles when one stirs it. I myself prefer tea, and have been known to drink as many as 2 cups in one year. But that was many years ago and I couldn't tell you which year it was.  7 years ago? I may have had one on the morning after my wedding day?

On the diorama front, I have made some minor and fiddly progress and I arrived here to find that I hadn't posted an update! I was sure I had! So thanks for jogging my memory.

Images will appear here as if by magic in mere minutes!

Keep safe dude!

Badder 

I could have sworn I had added these photos.....

First off, I carved some red brickwork directly into the FTINFBISS, in the gaps between the paper 'render', painted and weathered it with the usual plaster dust wash. There's one brick which almost got 'halved' by an errant press with the scalpel blade and it's showing up here because of the dust wash. I will have to fill it and paint it red again. Fussy, I know.

mcpj67B.jpg

I then added the stonework window surround, because I forgot to do it beforehand, which would have been the better option! Whatever, it too got a wash with plaster dust. Everything is plaster-dusty and will get partially cleaned off at some point. It doesn't matter when. The full or partial cleaning will affect everything differently and that adds realism. Then I'll probably add some more red brickwork to the right of the window, and repeat the whole weathering process over everything. Again. Maybe the last lot of red bricks will look slighter 'fresher'? Who knows?

f7QhwXZ.jpg

I then moved onto the window below. As the wall section below is a permanent fixture and not an insert like the wall/window shown above, I thought it would be best to fix the window to the exterior, rather than on the interior 'insert'.  I was measuring everything out and preparing to make window frames, and thought I'd best check my spares box first. Lo and behold, I found a spare scratch-built window frame which I had made earlier. A couple of years earlier! I can't remember if this was one I'd made for my extended MiniArt Ardennes building, or this one. Whatever, it only needed a bit of sanding to fit, and is dry fitted here:

6T5MXQ6.jpg

XJhxySI.jpg

I particularly like the shape of the broken glass here. I have yet to paint the rest of the frame and sill.  And that curve in the interior sill needs seeing too as well.

Apart from all of the above, I've been continuing to 'fit' the different sections of the building, sanding and filing walls and filling gaps so that it will all join together as neatly as possible. So, I've been dismantling the sections and having a look at things. I decided to strip some of the wall plaster (CA'd paper) from the wall beside the chimney brest. That's revealed the 'fresh' white plaster beneath..... which I dirtied just a little bit. A few scraps of CA'd paper were more stubborn and remain, slightly peeling off down the side of the brest and the 'look' is much more interesting and more realistic I think.OFsMGMG.jpg

And looking the other way, at the other section, I will be removing most of the debris from the floor of the room. That's because the debris on show here is of stonework and rafters meant to be a collapsed dormer window, not a 'normal' window as it should be now. When it comes to replacing that debris it will consist entirely off roof tiles, rafters, floor beams, floor boards and red bricks. If I'm displaying the building in it's more decrepit state there will be a very large number of said items on the floor, to match the debris that would have fallen from the low-pitched roof. If I'm displaying the building where the low-pitched roof is more or less intact, there will be less debris on the floor. So, being fussy, I have to model both versions. The debris for the intact version will be permanently fixed in place, whilst the debris for the decrepit version will, like the inserts, be removable. It sounds crazy, but hey. I suspect I'll be able to lump the extra debris in two or three pieces. 1J2Z25O.jpg

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 5

Just a little update. The insert with the more decrepit wall section has been weathered a bit more and is almost finished in terms of construction. I just have to add a few bricks to the right hand edge, where the rectangular space is. I'm adding them to the insert, rather than to the brownstone section so when it's removed that brownstone section will have a step in it, rather than be vertically defined. Here's the building with no roofing. If I display the model like this I will have to add all the roof debris, which I intend to make.

YUvcuwV.jpg

Here's the building with just the large section of roof added.jvGCQT5.jpg

And with the other insert in place. I've also decided to whitewash or add render to the upper half of the building. I may use CA'd paper to do the latter. For now though, I'm experimenting with just applying white ink and weathering it.

9oivLZB.jpg

ImlPpyb.jpg

TFL

Badder

• Like 5

On 9/30/2020 at 8:14 PM, Vince1159 said:

Great job Badder,love the last photo...

Hi Vince,

Thanks for popping in, and thanks for the like.  You know I said the decrepit walls section was more or less finished? Well, it turns out it wasn't. I added the brickwork as I said I would, but then realised that I hadn't finished what's left of the woodwork around the window... then realised I hadn't added the window sill either. Then I realised that I hadn't done the sill on the lower window, inner, which is part of the same insert. I've done everything now though! Next job is to add render to all the upper floor walls.

Keep safe

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The gable wall, whilst not being 'bad', has always been a bit plain and boring. I was always going to add ivy, but in the end whitewashing and heavy weathering was going to add some extra interest as well.  After the initial whitewashing, which basically left white in the mortar gaps and some here and there on the stone surfaces, I did decide to go for the full-on whitewashed-render look instead.

So, out came the paper and scissors. I cut the paper up into sections which would roughly fit the face of the wall, cut some of those into smaller pieces, then stuck them to the wall with thin CA, reassembling them like a jigsaw, but leaving slight gaps between them to represent cracks. In other places I cut pieces of paper to sit beside those. The thin CA was trickled over and under and between all of the pieces of paper to glue it down firmly (the CA soaks into and under the paper through capillary action) The CA also turns the paper plastic-like, allowing it to be sanded. 

With the paper render fixed in place, I gave the whole lot a thick wash with plaster dust, like so:

XzZ4iZc.jpg

Next, I gave the render a going over with some fine 'wet and dry' sand paper and gave the stonework a going over with a stiff damp brush.

aYLFpA1.jpg

A gloss coat was then applied and followed up with some dirty washes;

cgglPZN.jpg

6VsXg0l.jpg

I will be carving more cracks into the render and I will remove some pieces of render whilst I'm at it. More washes and sanding will follow. Some of the washes will be green.

TFL

Badder

• Like 5

• Badder changed the title to PIT STOP - COLOUR CHANGE

After messing around with that gable wall, adding render, and turning everything from brown to grey, I moved onto the long rear wall and did the same. Whilst I was doing that and after I'd applied the plaster dust washes, all was looking good. I then washed some of that off with a wet/damp brush and of course that got onto the lower portions of the wall. And I rather liked the look. It all looked like nice old gritty stonework. Although of course it was that dark brown colour, which no longer matched the gable wall.

So after a couple of years of messing about with this building I finally had to confess that that brown colour wasn't right anyway. It was fine for an Ardennes building, where the local stone is often 'brownstone', but it probably wouldn't be right for Germany, Eastern Europe or Russia.  A colour change has therefore taken place.

I took some fine sandpaper and rubbed briskly over the wall and this removed ink from the higher points of stonework, exposing the white FTINFBISS beneath. It was then a case of applying a grey wash over the wall. The FTINFBISS is actually slightly porous beneath its 'skin' and it took on the grey washes nicely. I also applied a much darker wash. I'm also rubbing back the stonework window surrounds. I may paint them white.

Whatever, the new 'grey' rear wall is looking much better than it would had I carried on down the brown route.

I still haven't joined the two halves of the building together yet as I'll still be doing some interior decorating.

Q7sPR9L.jpg

Above: Just in view bottom right, the head of the brush used for applying ink, or plaster dust washes, hence a bit raggedy!. Bottom right, a piece of fine sandpaper which I used to take stonework's high spots back to the underlying white FTINFBISS. Bottom centre, the drying 'puddle' on my cutting mat, where I mix dirty washes. Yes, that really is a cutting mat!

rGotdYN.jpg

Probably 1/4 of the wall will have ivy growing on it, mostly at the far right hand end, but also some where the carved stonework isn't up to standard!

TFL

Badder

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Weathering of the wall continues with some darker washes as well as 'scrubbing back' with a water-loaded, stiff-bristled brush. Obviously it's still wet in the photo, and there's a streak of water which has run down the wall. That would be nice if it stayed there but as it dries it will fade away. A dribble of black ink might be used to affect a real stain. I've also added a bit of debris in the collapsed area, a window lintel and some bits of wooden window frame.  And I've begun to recreate moss effects at the base of the wall using green Japanese Grit Paint.

5zS63cg.jpg

The debris lying around behind the wall is debris for use later. I just store it here 'cos I'm too lazy to find a box for it!

PeAnCWm.jpg

I'm pretty pleased with this:

n4DTUSs.jpg

I've now got to try to recreate similar effects on the opposite side of the building!

RbIHvqT.jpg

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 5

Badder

Once again you have skillfully progressed from the dreary depths of  brown to the angelic heights of white-ish-gray-like siding-walls-with mossy-green (wow really Green) blobs abounding.   All together; Well Done  you old FTINFBISS, Wrangler.

I can see progress where others may only see destruction and devastation. The subtle nuances of plaster, like applique as found only in the finest houses of couture. Or it could just be the way you spash it on with wild abandon.  Regardless! The thing is an amazing feat of the "cottage industry" mode of creation-ness and model building-ery. 

Oh, There was that brief news article in the YouWon'tBeliveThis  Times of East Undershirt  (now sadly out of print and just after the UFO sightings too-humm?).  That small article related the story of a  "...neighbor who's some sort of a "craftsperson" . This man had caused quite a stir, locally, when this person's  entire rear yard was suddenly covered by a giant fuchsia coloured tent and then much muttering and gnashing of teeth was heard to be issuing forth.  Unconfirmed was the rumor of clouds of a white plaster like dust puffing out of the tent at irregular intervals.  All that said, it is obvious the work being performed under the tent must be of great import. Else why are all the secret workings being covered up? "

Sadly with the decease of the YouWon'tBeliveThis Times of East Undershirt  the hope for answer may never reach the light of day for our loyal reader.

As always, stay healthy as possible, keep a smile in your heart, and a warm fire ablaze, uh, in the hearth.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Howdy, Steve. and thanks

Good to see you haven't lost any of your humour despite these very difficult times spent pondering over which president elect is the better for the model-making community.  N.B. (Nota Benedict Cumberbatch) 'Humour' pronounced 'humor' but spelt correctly despite Britmodeller's - A British/English website don't ya know? - spell-checker insisting otherwise) Loving the tent story. I confess I do my 'plastering' indoors and probably have lungs to match the dust everywhere else, It's amazing how fine that powder is! Face masks are not just for coronavirus!

I have succeeded in making the wall above match the others for 'character' - something that can sometimes be difficult to achieve, especially when one's 'weathering technique' is as you say 'slap-dash', a process of slap it on, brush/wipe it off, re-apply, rpt, rpt, rpt. With that done, I am now in the process of adding more moss effects, building it up gradually. All colours other than blacks/greys/whites do tend to show up rather garishly on camera, even after dark washes have been applied. This may be due to the camera's microprocessors getting over-excited, or something to do with the LCD displays on browsing devices back-lighting the images and making them glow? I will post pics of the current state of affairs shortly, when I can be bothe... ars.... certain of a good selection. 

Keep safe!

Rearguards,

Badder.

• Like 2

The website doesn't have have a spell checker - this is your own computer correcting you.  Presumably you have set your Windows to US English.  This is pretty easy to change in Settings.  Or somewhere, anyway.  Might take longer to find it than actually change it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Badder,

It's been forever since I have been here to see your work.  I'm just now getting back to building again and stopping by to see things fresh with your build.  Still the Master I see.  I hope you are feeling good and taking care of yourself these days.  I know how it goes sometimes, good and not so good.  

So just keep building, "Plaster Master" so wee have more photos to drool on.  ( The wood gate looks gorgeous).