Sorry for taking a few days there folks. I finished my interview yesterday so I can get back to model building. No photos today but I finished the 5th & 6th armor panels and glued the wings on today. I was able to confirm all but the very early D-5’s and later production D’s didn't use the dive breaks. So thats off the list of needs to be built.  

Soon i can worry about seams and then paint. Im still working on the 262 in that group build. Im trying to keep these at about the same pace. The plan is to try and paint them together. I will throw photo’s up tomorrow. 

Dennis

• Like 4

Hello everybody ... So heres todays update. I have started sanding the seams on the Stuka with one exception at the rear wing/Fuselage connection. Im still putting filler there. The armor plate at the forward wing/fuselage connection has had 5 coats and im planning on at least 3 more to build that section up. P1cDyUr.jpg

You can see the other armor plates are done except for the bolts/connectors having to be added.LQibnMS.jpg

Here she sits from the bottom. 

6oDwq0b.jpg

Enough for now more later today or tomorrow. Thanks for stopping by and as usual questions ? comments ? Or jokes ?

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 8

Hello all ... So Ive started sanding down the Stuka now. Got up to my 600 grit wet sand stage. I usually hold at this point to do add ons. In this case the Horizontal stabs and there respective supports.

2uTpok5.jpg

The last of the armor on the belly is finally done as well.

y0v1ZDb.jpg

Once the stab/fuse. connections are cleaned up then i will proceed to finish sandining/polishing the plastic in readying for paint. I still haven't quite satisfied myself with what scheme I intend to go for ? The NJG 2 overall green with green mottle and an all black belly with markings oversprayed in black ? Which there is some merit for historical accuracy. Theres an He. 111 Torpedo bomber in this group build using a very similar scheme. Its that or the NJG 9 markings with the mirror-wave squiggles over the upper/lower surfaces ? Im liking the NJG-2 markings but they were only worn for a short period before NJG-2 was absorbed into NJG-9 ? Oh well I have time yet. I still have to paint the original splinter camouflage first before anything else happens ? I even took a stab at adding a light into the cavern in the wing. ZA1qPC0.jpg

More later. 

Dennis

• Like 7

I like the overall green NG2 markings. They are kinda plain but I bet you could really bring out a great model with weathering. 

What on earth was the purpose of those butterfly bombs? Harassment?  

I've been eyeing this kit for awhile at the local shop.

• Like 1

Hello @Thud4444 ... I believe they were an early attempt at a cluster bomb. I think they weighed 2 kilos so maybe a very light mortar shell ? Its real use is area denial i believe. Then again who wants to have 96 5 lb bombs dropping on you in the darkness ? When you cant see or really hear them ? As far as the kit goes Its older and plain but can be dressed up decently

• Thanks 1

You know, that cluster bomb idea makes perfect sense. I'd have never thought of that. 

I've left 1/48 behind but the Ju-87 is one of the few Monogram kits that I never built. I might get it for nostalgia.

Decided on a scheme yet? 

I do really like the Njg-2 scheme myself and i might play with it a little. Im thinking maybe a different green from the Itailians ? Maybe in a wavy pattern ? That or the original and just a light overall coat of green to break up the splinter ? I really do like the all black belly and blacked out markings ? Less decals i can spray those in with black after the greens. 

Hello Everybody ... i can finally put up another update. Been busy for a few days with doctors and such. So over the last few days I’ve finished up the stuka and shes cleaned & prepped for paint. I have painted the prop.

RaMXLBU.jpg

built up the exhausts, which are being painted as i write this.

GilEX7H.jpg

Then i added the rudder its the only free moving piece. I gave it a little life by positioning it off to one side. 

DvrnnAx.jpg

I then mounted the landing gear.

3Mz5X2v.jpg

dpX0jJk.jpg

I added tape seat belts to the seats. They've been painted since the photos. G3Ox47M.jpg

Ive gone and mounted the bomblets and racks to the wings. Easier to do before paint i think on this build.  gr3gKdF.jpg6lCKZR8.jpg

Hard to see here but these have been sawed in half. Later as i detail paint them i will add a dark grey/black to define the seperation so it will represent the complete 96 bomblets. I have also cut the brass for the two 20mm barrels and made the pitot out of brass. Tomorrow i spray the RLM 65 and I will spray the RLM 76 on my Me. 262. Have a good day everybody and as always feel free if you have questions ? comments or Jokes ? 

Hello @Thud4444 so I decided to go with the NJG 2 scheme.  

abaNQAU.jpg

I will give a third green over the splinter scheme. Probably in a mirror wave pattern,but maybe in a general overspray. I have a couple of greens that are close approximations of Italian greens which i will use. I figure they’d use whatever was available locally,since this doesn't look like a neat factory applied camouflage scheme. 

Dennis

• Like 9

I find these night flying Stuka`s really interesting Dennis and I`m loving your thread and build,...... the model is coming along wonderfully and I love how you have done the additional armour and the Butterfly Bombs under the wings. There was a very good book about the Luftwaffe night raider units over Italy  by Classic Publications called Ghost Bombers,.... but not sure how easy it is to get hold of now?

http://www.paulmeekins.co.uk/?page=shop/flypage&product_id=47075&keyword=Luftwaffe&searchby=keyword&offset=0&fs=1

Cheers

Tony

• Thanks 1

Hello @tonyot ... Thanks its good to hear from you. I know of the book and would love to expand my library to include it and many others. Sadly between my extreme limited $ funds for the hobby, and extreme limits on space where im living its currently not possible. I have followed all of your builds since joining Britmodeller and have nicked tips/techniques from you and others.

I was just reviewing your Greek spitfire build. I was curious if you had ever considered doing a spitfire without the cannon barrel shrouds ? I found a photo showing a Greek Spitfire with a sharksmouth and said cannons a while ago ? Cant remember where i dug it up from though. 

Dennis

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello @tonyot ... Thanks its good to hear from you. I know of the book and would love to expand my library to include it and many others. Sadly between my extreme limited $ funds for the hobby, and extreme limits on space where im living its currently not possible. I have followed all of your builds since joining Britmodeller and have nicked tips/techniques from you and others.

I was just reviewing your Greek spitfire build. I was curious if you had ever considered doing a spitfire without the cannon barrel shrouds ? I found a photo showing a Greek Spitfire with a sharksmouth and said cannons a while ago ? Cant remember where i dug it up from though. 

Dennis

Hiya Dennis,

No worries mate and glad to be of help,..... I`m always picking tips up from others too,..... we never stop learning and those who think that they know everything are usually the people to steer clear of!! 

I`ve never seen a Spitfire without the cannon shrouds fitted, not one which isn`t being serviced at least,.... and any photos of a Cannon armed Greek Spitfire are of interest, especially if it is a Mk.V as I only have two to use as reference! I have a feeling that I know which photo you mean,..... which features a post war Mk.IX, MH558 named MYSTRAS and flown by Lt Georgios Smyrniotopoulos. This aircraft has the forward cannon shrouds missing. It appears in this link;

http://imansolas.freeservers.com/Aces/Greeks in Spitfires.html

Cheers

Tony 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tonyot said:

I have a feeling that I know which photo you mean,..... which features a post war Mk.IX, MH558 named MYSTRAS and flown by Lt Georgios Smyrniotopoulos. This aircraft has the forward cannon shrouds missing. It appears in this link;

http://imansolas.freeservers.com/Aces/Greeks in Spitfires.html

Yes that is the plane i was thinking of, good to know its post war. 

Dennis

Looks like a bit of a dog of a kit but you're really making a good job of it so far.  I like the extra detail you've added, nice choice of scheme too!

• Thanks 1

Hello @Blitz23 ... its the old Monogram kit. They were really decent kits in there day. But have been passed by the modern Tamigawa type shake n bake kits. I enjoy building them because they allow me to keep my scratch building skills honed. That and they're cheap which is most important when youre on my budget which is skeletal. 

Dennis

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello @Blitz23 ... its the old Monogram kit. They were really decent kits in there day. But have been passed by the modern Tamigawa type shake n bake kits. I enjoy building them because they allow me to keep my scratch building skills honed. That and they're cheap which is most important when youre on my budget which is skeletal. 

Dennis

Yeah I know what you mean, looking forward to seeing how this one turns out.

• Thanks 1

Hello everyone ... quick update. I got the first color of many on. I was able to get the RLM 65 on the Stuka today. yEBUnYo.jpg

Next up are the Two greens in the standard splinter RLM 70/71. Then decals and on to the Italian Green over Black. So at least a week or more just in the paint and decals. Hope you like it have a good day. 

Dennis

• Like 7

Hello Everybody ... so I’ve sprayed the RLM 71 and added the masking for the Splinter Camouflage. I had a minor issue when the port landing gear decided to break away. But it was an easy fix. 

lNPcjyj.jpg

mCCaxZy.jpg

woLI1tI.jpg

Next i will paint the RLM 70 tomorrow. The splinter need not be 100% accurate as it will be oversprayed later in the week with the green distemper. I will do the decals before that. Considering some will need to be overpainted. Once thats done i can finish up by painting the black on the belly of the Stuka.

As I wrote in my Me. 262 thread I will be busy this week with some interruptions from the real life. These cant be postponed so I will have to push this and the 262 to the back burner for a few days. As usual comments ? questions ? or jokes ? 

Dennis

• Like 6

Ok Last update for several days. I was able to spray the second green of the splinter pattern. mWsJn5i.jpg

I have clear coated this since the photo’s were taken. HtmKUJj.jpg

t3TH8rJ.jpg

Later this week i will decal and then spray the last two colors. Have yourself a good day.

Dennis

• Like 6