Hello everybody im going to stick my toe in the MTO with a night harassment Stuka. Im going to build a JU-87D from Nachtschlachtgruppe 9 in Italy in the fall of 1944. I will use the old Revellogram Ju-87G kit wit some appropriate mod’s. I also plan on kitbashing a bit to busy up the really poor cockpit. Since these didnt operate the 37 MM anti-tank guns of the G i have to scratchbuild the dive-brakes and outer wing bomb racks. So i may be biting off more than i can handle but am going to try to do all of this. I will post photos of the kit and parts when i get to my office later today. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 5

So as promised here are the sprue shots. zCOQ1rd.jpg

3t1qtvi.jpg

Ive already started scratching to pit. Wont be 100% accurate but it will look busy and colse enough to make me happy. 

dvirXFR.jpg

The eagle eyed among you might notice some extra parts. I have and plan on using the exhausts from a Dragon JU-88 nightfighter. That will include the compass that goes in the area directly behind the rear gunner. The bombs and droptanks come from my spares mostly eduard but Tamiya and Hasegawa as well. Well back to the build. 

Dennis

• Like 9

Hello everbody ... So I’ve gotten most of the pit painted and just need to finish the instrument panel. I drilled the hole for the compass behind the rear gunner in the upper spine. Ive scratched one of the bomb racks i need based on one i had in my spares. Now im thinking of going a different route. I found the option of the 4 wing racks each with 24 SD-2 butterfly bomblets. I can scratch these up pretty easy and its a bit different. So im probably going that route. Heres a couple photos of the racks and butterfly bombs. lFdRLsr.jpg

2JVLytE.jpg

Now just have to scratch up the centerline arm/rack. I will post photo’s of the pit tonight when the painting is done. 

Dennis

• Like 7

Ok so i have the cockpit painted still need to add belts to the seats but i closed the fuselage.  AeUvSKW.jpg

PxnarjW.jpg

JcqhMnQ.jpg

I drilled away the kits exhausts while the glue dried. Then filed the seams. More later SWMBO needs me.

Dennis

• Like 6

So I’ve been looking for photos and other info to figure markings and camouflage out. Here are 2 profiles that i have a few photos to back up.

a2egd9i.jpg

Though there seems to be some disagreement as to the distemper squiggles color. Ive seen RLM-75, RLM-76, and RLM 79 listed as possibilities. Personally i like the RLM 75/79 options better. However the camouflage may have been based loosely on nightfighter camouflage so that points more to the RLM-75/76 options.

I’ve also foud this profile from Nachtschlactgruppen 2’s Stuka’s. NSG 2 was also Italian based in 1944 so is definitely a possibility. JXADblJ.jpg

This appears to have a 3rd green maybe RLM-80/82 lightly over sprayed the original Splinter scheme. The belly, swastika, and lower crosses are oversprayed in matte black as well. 

These are my options for markings. I really do like the NSG-2 green/black version and will try to find a photo to verify. 

Dennis

• Like 3

Ok so ive been doing a little bit of work on this. The Revellogram Stuka has no bomb-rack or panel lines in the center section of the wing. And incomplete lines elsewhere. So i scratched up the bomb rack and did some scribing today.

NUbiDek.jpg

From the photo’s ive seen the Night harassement Stukas had no dive capability so it doesnt need the swing arm portion of the bomb rack and im still trying to determine the dive brake issue. Some had them some didnt. Im going forward with the idea of place the dive brake stubs on but not the dive brakes themselves. I can change that if need be. I did add the Radiators after the photo was snapped. 

Dennis

• Like 4

Nice job Dennis those butterfly bombs look a formidable weapon, are you going to have to scratch build those?

• Like 1

Hello @Ozzy ... yes I’ll scratch build. The racks are simple flat pieces. I think some round plastic strip or sprue cut down and then maybe little bits of wire to represent the dangling parts. Its not to bad only 96 of the little suckers to build. I have a standard german bomb for the centerline. I think its an SC. 250 type. 

Dennis

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Wow only 96, good luck with those.

So I thought about it some Ozzy after we discussed it. I knocked these together this afternoon. 

4pxRsYo.jpg

I made it so there are 48  SD-2’s but i plan on scoring these and painting them a certain way to represent all 96 like this.

J4C84mY.jpg

Once they are painted and installed i still need to add the Stalks to them so thats 96 pieces of wire all about 1/4 long. I might still have some sanity left after that.  

Dennis

• Like 5

I've had a soft spot for 'night harrassment' ever since reading of the Po-2 successes in Korea.  So far I've only built a Go.145, but have a few more lined for the future.

I'm looking forward seeing how your Stuka develops Dennis :popcorn:

Cliff

• Thanks 1

Hello @BIG X ... i didnt feel right by using Lawzers thread for discussion. So Im placing this here. I found these images as well which might be NSG 1’s aircraft. There seems to be some British soldiers inspecting the stuka in at least one photo. 

kHGZget.jpg

This ⬆️ Is a D-8. This photo is in Furth Germany.

WzAuR1f.jpg

A G-2 ⬆️ Those are possibly RAF inspectors in the background ? The uniform doesnt look like a german type ? 

fW2wEEH.jpg

The same type very possibly the same aircraft. 

fOBg9p3.jpg

These definitely look RAF or British to me. The Germans aren't noted for there use of the beret. However I'm not an expert on uniforms ? Again its a G-2 type. And last is two color profiles one for the D-8 & the other for the G-2.

kFr04LO.jpg

nnRtLU6.jpg

I hope these help you. 

Dennis

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello @BIG X ... i didnt feel right by using Lawzers thread for discussion. So Im placing this here. I found these images as well which might be NSG 1’s aircraft. There seems to be some British soldiers inspecting the stuka in at least one photo. 

kHGZget.jpg

This ⬆️ Is a D-8. This photo is in Furth Germany.

WzAuR1f.jpg

A G-2 ⬆️ Those are possibly RAF inspectors in the background ? The uniform doesnt look like a german type ? 

fW2wEEH.jpg

The same type very possibly the same aircraft. 

fOBg9p3.jpg

These definitely look RAF or British to me. The Germans aren't noted fr there use of the beret. However I'm not an expert on uniforms ? Again its a G-2 type. And last is two color profiles one for the D-8 & the other for the G-2.

kFr04LO.jpg

nnRtLU6.jpg

I hope these help you. 

Dennis

BRILLIANT - THANKS A MILLION

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, thorfinn said:

Nice work on those 'butterfly' bombs, Compadre. That's a load-out one doesn't see...well, ever. :rolleyes:

I was surprised by that as well ? I checked and found no resin either ? Im curious as to why too. Its not like it would be super hard to mold in resin. Maybe just a not well known munition ? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I was surprised by that as well ? I checked and found no resin either ? Im curious as to why too. Its not like it would be super hard to mold in resin. Maybe just a not well known munition ? 

As a purely visual  thing, it's understandable the kit manufacturers wouldn't do it: they look too much like soda cans, not 'cool' enough.

On the other hand, you'd expect it's one the aftermarket folks would have jumped on: it's not well-known...it's different...and frankly would be absurdly easy to render in resin (apart from the 'dangly' bits, as you are no doubt discovering....)

• Like 1

So been busy away from modeling this week prepping for my disability meeting. Needed a bit of stress relief so I knocked this out last night and today.  Wg5euyT.jpg

Its only mocked up the wings arent glued on yet.

In the next two photo’s you can see i corrected the wing walks for a D-5. The kit would have you think the walkways are equal. They aren't i found photo’s and line drawings showing the starboard side is shorter. Im adding the pilots armor using Tamiya surfacer. I taped the outline and will paint several layers and let it build up. Its easier than trying to get a piece of plastic, brass, or steel to conform to the sides. When its dry i will mark indents where the screws/bolts hold it to the fuselage. When the wings get glued on i will add the liwer applique armor as well. I have added the compass and its clear dome as you can see. 

wz4lOEc.jpg

z2f9SKN.jpg

More later taking a break. 

Dennis

• Like 9