RB productions Me262A2a/U2 conversion

Mottlemaster

Dipping toe back in posting ......plop ,i'm in .

I have decided to do the RB productions Me262A2a/U2 conversion made a few years back . I have not seen any of these made in 1/32 so this G?b will be a good place to give it a go

Going to start nice and slow just in case skill fade has occurred over past 6 months or more . Have almost finnished my Special hobby breda Ba 65 which was started way back in time for the Radial engine G/B .(Only got decals to put on ).

40099405420_ef4f6c2fe6_b.jpgP1020739 by Alistair Pearce, on Flickr

41007713005_0c1e2aacc4_b.jpgP1020738 by Alistair Pearce, on Flickr

• Like 6

Ozzy ,good to chat with you again .

Yes a small conversion which should make a big change . Good way of solving the poor fit issues found with the trumpeter 262 gun panels as its all chopped off . Will now drop by on your build to see your plans .

Cheers Alistair

• Thanks 1

Oooh! :tasty: This was the set (I think) that got me wanting one in 1:48 originally.  I wonder if I should get one of these myself and shove it on the 2-seater that no-one seems to want to buy off me? :hmmm:

welcome aboard Alistar and oooo very nice!!

You're not taking it easy to get the modelling Mojo back, straight into some conversion work and in a large scale. I know those guy's products, really top notch resin stuff (got 2 of there 1/32 Ki-61 full resin models :wub: ), so that part should be fairly straight forward.

I didn't think this version would be as popular as it's become, will be great to see her in 1/32nd scale.

Good luck with the build, will be very interested to follow this one, and how she gives the modelling mojo a good kick start.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Mike said:

Oooh! :tasty: This was the set (I think) that got me wanting one in 1:48 originally.  I wonder if I should get one of these myself and shove it on the 2-seater that no-one seems to want to buy off me? :hmmm:

Hi Mike . That would be one expensive What-if but would help tell the story of the  little known problem that 262 development incurred due to Hitlers insistence that not only should it be developed as a bomber but should also carry a Resident Artist as well as pilot and bomb aimer .

Cheers

Alistair

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, trickyrich said:

welcome aboard Alistar and oooo very nice!!

You're not taking it easy to get the modelling Mojo back, straight into some conversion work and in a large scale. I know those guy's products, really top notch resin stuff (got 2 of there 1/32 Ki-61 full resin models :wub: ), so that part should be fairly straight forward.

I didn't think this version would be as popular as it's become, will be great to see her in 1/32nd scale.

Good luck with the build, will be very interested to follow this one, and how she gives the modelling mojo a good kick start.

Yes it looks to be contesting the most popular type position . The vast number of types ranging from the first development that you are doing to the HG 111 etc make the 262 such a good STGB . I suppose paint schemes  are lacking in range .

Yep the resin is top notch . I expect your Antares resin is like working with hard brittle toffee .....but love his kit subjects and have done 2 myself .

23 hours ago, Mottlemaster said:

I expect your Antares resin is like working with hard brittle toffee .....but love his kit subjects and have done 2 myself .

that's a good way to describe it! Not the easiest resin to work with, but talking with the owner he mentioned it's really hard to get good resin there so he has to make do with what he can find.

Have now made a start .

Did a google search for other builds and turned up a good one by James Hatch (usual photo bucket cull of pics )

Seems there may be some fit issues along the line so will do as much in the way of dry fitting as i can to see the best way of putting bad joins out of site .

First nose marked for removal .....note to self cut far side of line

28150788718_d60e00e155_b.jpgP1020751 by Alistair Pearce, on Flickr

Nose now cut off . There is a slight step in the line on both sides.

27153601287_ca3143f55f_b.jpgP1020757 by Alistair Pearce, on Flickr

Cuts on kit and resin  cleaned off . Some fiddly pore stubs on resin but its lovely quality with no air bubbles.

28150787658_772a3911c7_b.jpgP1020758 by Alistair Pearce, on Flickr

Arrow shows step in cut surface .

28150786548_559c21953f_z.jpgP1020759 by Alistair Pearce, on Flickr

Did a dry fit of new nose against fuselage and it is way out of shape and size (DO NOT MAKE NOSE AS SEPARATE ASSEMBLY ) The nose bulkhead is far to small as is rear section roof .

I attached left and right nose sections to respective fuselage half's and   with a bit of twisting got a reasonable join

28150785538_216e14755d_b.jpgP1020760 by Alistair Pearce, on Flickr

\the floor nose and bulkhead have been glued but not attached to either side ,just held in place with blue tack .

Going to do some cockpit now for a brain rest

• Like 4

ripping into it with a razor saw!! :yahoo::popcorn: Alway an exciting bit of any build.......ok I admit I'm a bit strange!

Hmmm adding new bits can be quite testing..... Position and tack, position and tack maybe the only way you're going to get the sides to match in profile by the sounds of it. You may have to build up some of the areas with plastic strip to help make up for the missing material.

Could be worse, a full resin model where one hall of the fuselage mould has slipped into the other half during casting!!! It's going to get very messy! 

My heart always flutters when I cut through plastic to fit after market bits, looks to be going well Alistair.

Have had my time consumed by construction over the past eek and have made some good progress . With any conversion like this i like to do a dryfit of as many parts as i can to try and foresee any potential problems . This has been a difficult project to dry fit as the parts seem to work against each other .

I figured that i needed to get the fuselage constructed so have been painting cockpit tub and sides . I attached both resin nose sections to their respective sides .

41494833794_b211f40386_b.jpgP1020772 by Alistair Pearce, on Flickr

Have to put some lead weights any where i could front side of the wheels

41303585694_f554c4d5ef_z.jpgP1020766 by Alistair Pearce, on Flickr

42169843392_e759a7e0d1_b.jpgP1020779 by Alistair Pearce, on Flickr

I found a larg strip of old lead in a field next to my house during the winter using a metal detector , knew it would come in handy .

Have used some RB fabric belts to the cockpit

42216027381_befbdd6260_z.jpgP1020777 by Alistair Pearce, on Flickr

42216027651_0d7b9d658f.jpgP1020774 by Alistair Pearce, on Flickr

Dont like the Trumpeter method of instrument panel construction as afterwards difficult to see dials . have added some placards

some plastic card shims added to the top cowling as it was far too small .

Now to do the big join . Will  do this tomorrow morning when the effects of half a bottle of wine has worn off

• Like 4

gee there is some nice work going on there Alistair and I like your inventive solutions for adding weight. :thumbsup:

Dry fitting and test fitting are the watch words for this type of work and is something I can't recommend highly enough for this or that resin stuff I play with. It takes a wee bit longer but it does save you an awful lot of grief in the long run!

• Thanks 1

One large step has been made over the past few days with the addition of the clear nose .

This has been a huge challenge to get the resin bits to fit . I am slightly disappointed in the quality control of this conversion . All the clear resin parts are far too big and to make things doubly bad all the grey resin is far too small .

I should have seen the warning sines of very few completed builds posted on the net and a few starting with a great gush only to abruptly end . I think i am now past the worst part and fell a little more confident that this one will get finished .

This is where i am now

40521148160_49933b4f45_b.jpgP1020794 by Alistair Pearce, on Flickr

Have managed to get a good fit of all major parts . I feel most satisfied considering the work i had to put in .

I do have to admit this is part of modeling i do like .

You can see how small the bulk head is from this pic which made positioning of the floor difficult as there was no point of contact with the sides

42216026081_57e9f70595.jpgP1020780 by Alistair Pearce, on Flickr

Lots of plastic card shims have been used to make parts larger

41426289655_2d51d0496c_b.jpgP1020787 by Alistair Pearce, on Flickr

From this pic you can see how over large the clear parts are . this also applied to the front clear parts

42327489341_5a16e52f5b_b.jpgP1020786 by Alistair Pearce, on Flickr

41426288605_5b81271c47_z.jpgP1020789 by Alistair Pearce, on Flickr

41426288055_830bf85cdf_z.jpgP1020790 by Alistair Pearce, on Flickr

42327416731_b65a41ff22_z.jpgP1020793 by Alistair Pearce, on Flickr

The bomb site is a lovely casting and clearly shows through the nose glazing so i added some placards and detail.

Just need to make up the belts for the bomb aimers  position then i can close up the front .

It would have been much easier to have the bombers top open but i want to finnish this one all close up to better show off it shape .

Going to make a start on the wings now .

• Like 5

gee there are some real errors there, I'm quite surprised as in the past I've only had good experiences with MDC resin. Though I'm thinking this is actually a RB production that is a joint release. I'm now sort of hoping so as I have 2 of their 1/32nd Ki-61 full resin models!!!

the detailing in it is lovely!

• Thanks 1

This is the first time that I've seen this version of the 262 (I must Google it).  It looks like it's going to be a real head-turner when its finished :popcorn:

Cliff

• Thanks 1

The wings are attached . Over all a good fit but i needed to take some plastic of the main spar at the point where the recess for it to sit against the cockpit tub (only a little but it made all the difference .

P1020796

I have ordered some of the HGW lazer cut seat belts . They do a set especially for the 262 in some late war colors .

• Like 3

she's big! Even from just this photo she does look impressive.

many moons ago I built Hasegawa's 1/32nd version, I remember how big she was....don't know what happened to her?

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/05/2018 at 01:30, trickyrich said:

she's big! Even from just this photo she does look impressive.

many moons ago I built Hasegawa's 1/32nd version, I remember how big she was....don't know what happened to her?

Yes she is big but i figure as the Universe is expanding there will be room for her .

While it may have gone slow on the mottlemaster posting front i have been enjoying myself sawing and sanding plastic so things have been moving on construction wise .

Engines are now attached

P1020803

Managed to squeeze in some "backup lead " into front of engine just in case . Hope landing gear can support all this . lucky Trumpeter provide a set of metal legs .

P1020804

As i do not want to display the engines only the front and rear parts are needed .

P1020811

I had to use a smidgen of filler on engine wing join but probably could have done a deeper sand and re scribe and got away with it .

A nice surprise was to find that a set of Montex masks i have for the national insignia also contained a set of canopy masks inside and out .

All canopy parts now sprayed with Mr Color RLM 66. .This is the same paint as i have used for cockpit interior

P1020812

This is how far i am now . getting close to painting stage 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 10/06/2018 at 14:02, Ozzy said:

She's coming along a treat, all that sanding has definitely payed off.

Thanks Ozzy ,yep a sanders dream .

Here are some more pics

i have made more progress since these pics were taken . may finish in time .

P1020872

P1020871

Used a darker preshade on top with this one to see how it goes .

• Like 3