1/35 Rolls Royce armoured car - Roden

This is coming along beautifully Ted and I love the added details,..... the wood effect on that box is just brilliant! The colour does look a bit yellow for Portland Stone but looks right for Light Stone,..... as used by the RAF and other overall sand schemes. 

Cheers

Tony

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, philp said:

Nice looking build so far.

Got to admit I have always loved this vehicle and after reading Osprey's The Royal Air Force A Centenary of Operations and finding out more about it's use I may have to build one myself, but probably in 72nd scale.

It is an interesting car, such a throwback to the First World War.

7 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Ted. Excellent progress. I can't comment if it is the correct colour but it does look very yellow in the photos. But that may just be the light quality in the photos.

I do like the detail work you are doing too. Going to look really good.

Kind regards,

Stix 

Thanks Stix, I'll try to tone down the yellow with weathering etc.

5 hours ago, tonyot said:

This is coming along beautifully Ted and I love the added details,..... the wood effect on that box is just brilliant! The colour does look a bit yellow for Portland Stone but looks right for Light Stone,..... as used by the RAF and other overall sand schemes. 

Cheers

Tony

Thanks Tony, if anyone ever asks I'll tell them it's Light Stone.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I searched the produce aisle and found the perfect netting on some garlic bulbs. I painted the netting and then stretched it around gluing it on the bottom and back with CA.

IMG_7377

I also started painting the little crew member. I have to wait to assemble his arms until I put him in the turret. Anybody else notice that all Miniart figures have the same face?

IMG_7378

I repainted the model in a less yellow colour, it's a random mix of Deck Tan with a little yellow added.

IMG_7379

• Like 8

Nice progress Ted, I had not noticed the mini art figures have the same face until you mentioned it.

• Thanks 1

Closer than ever to finishing. I still have a couple more things to do before washes and weathering, but it's close.

IMG_7384

IMG_7387

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

I finally finished this armoured car with some oil paint washes to add some depth and dust. I tried filling the lamps with Pledge to make lenses but after filling them, letting them dry, and then filling again many times, they are still only half filled. I'll try clear resin next time. Much as I like the look of it without markings I feel like it should have an air recognition symbol.

Photos have been added to the Gallery. Many thanks to you all for the camaraderie during this GB.

IMG_7428

• Like 8

Fantastic build Ted, as I've said before definitely the way to go to war. Are you going to have a joint photo call with the Airfix kit?

• Thanks 1

On 7/27/2018 at 4:12 PM, Ozzy said:

Fantastic build Ted, as I've said before definitely the way to go to war. Are you going to have a joint photo call with the Airfix kit?

Good idea, I'll do a picture once I finish the sedan.

On 7/27/2018 at 7:35 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Great build Ted :clap2: I really do like these Armored cars. I really like how you subtle weathering makes it that much better. 

Thanks, armoured cars are my favourite.

19 hours ago, CliffB said:

Beautiful work Ted.  I can almost feel the heat from your Gallery photos - it must have been very hot in there!

I can't imagine how hot it must have been in one of these in Eqypt in the summer.

9 hours ago, PlaStix said:

That turned out brilliantly Ted. Very well done.

:thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks man.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1