DH Vampire FB.5 - No.613 (City of Manchester) Sq., RAuxAF, Ringway airfield 1951-57 ++ FINISHED ++

Whilst searching for a quick and easy build as a second choice for the group build, I came across this kit in the stash. One thing that led to me choosing this was that option B was for a camouflaged Vampire based at Ringway in the '50's. In my younger days, I spent many a Saturday/Sunday on the spectator terraces at Ringway collecting registrations and then, when I got home,  painstakingly underlining the days spots in a copy of Civil Aircraft Markings - yes, I was anorak boy. :winkgrin:

This, along with the fact that the Vampire seemed to be missing from the list, was enough for me to make it my second kit choice.

40095362460_b5b4e69ec8_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

40095363010_f5c51e85ca_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

40095364640_53f0ff49a0_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 6

1/144 scale - that’s cheat’n!!

I demand you at least build both of these little blighters for this GB. Actually I’m looking on and thinking that a group of twenty of so of these would look rather cool. 

Cheers Dave (who expects it finished by this weekend!) 

• Haha 1

Hi John,

now, a 1/72 Vampire is not what one would call big. In 1/144 scale, the mind boggles.

I should be used of this kind of stunt coming from you, but you always seem to go smaller... and smaller.

Just changed the setting of my laptop screen at a 300% magnification. Sure it may just be enough.

Will follow this 13 hour build with great interest.

Have fun!!!

JR

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I demand you at least build both of these little blighters for this GB. Actually I’m looking on and thinking that a group of twenty of so of these would look rather cool. 

Cheers Dave (who expects it finished by this weekend!) 

1 hour ago, jean said:

Just changed the setting of my laptop screen at a 300% magnification. Sure it may just be enough.

Will follow this 13 hour build with great interest.

Have fun!!!

JR

Cheers guys, it may not be such an easy build, so could take a little while longer than anticipated. I have just had a test fit of the lower fuselage to the upper fuselage and wing part. The result being that they need a fair amount of fettling to get them to fit without a step at the wing join, and all of this before I can start to fit the intakes and cockpit/nose wheel bay assembly. :rolleyes:

22 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

Cheers guys, it may not be such an easy build, so could take a little while longer than anticipated. I have just had a test fit of the lower fuselage to the upper fuselage and wing part. The result being that they need a fair amount of fettling to get them to fit without a step at the wing join, and all of this before I can start to fit the intakes and cockpit/nose wheel bay assembly. :rolleyes:

John,

this is plain scandalous!

Plastic kits should learn to behave and do the modellers' bidding!!! Fettling should be banned...

What is our world becoming, if a mingy 1/144 Vampire decides to throw its toys out of the cot?

Having said all this, have a lot of fun.

It will be lovely!

JR

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Watching with interest. I’m also contemplatinh this very scheme for the KG144 RAF 100 GB ... great minds and great taste in postwar RAF jets clearly. 

Ive got the recently released Sun Details Goblin engine so will try and display the engine bay open. Because I hate myself and am a glutton for punishment. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ajmm said:

Ive got the recently released Sun Details Goblin engine so will try and display the engine bay open. Because I hate myself and am a glutton for punishment.

It should look good with the engine bay open, good luck with the build. I haven't decided which of the commonwealth aircraft to do for my second kit yet, but I may try to get hold of one of the engines for that build.

Just a bit of a heads-up for when you come to the fuselage join, watch the boom joint, I found that I needed some clamp pressure to close a small gap but it did make the tail booms a better fit.

Progress update.

I completed the cockpit assembly yesterday afternoon and joined the upper and lower fuselage halves last night. This morning I have added the tail booms and tailplane making sure that the top edge and facing surfaces line up, that way if there is any mismatch the clean up will be in a less visible area. A tidy up around a couple of the joins and some filler on both sides of the fuselage around the nose area and that should see it ready for paint.

41467272734_84501fe7ca_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

41467272034_454e695e47_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

41467253394_05d6a06243_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 4

Thanks. Noted about the boom join. I’ve read elsewhere that it’s a pain. I may try and fashion some sort of pin. 

Looking magnificent already. Love it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Great progress dude. I see Molly’s growing fast too. Hope she keeps you out of trouble:giggle: 

Thanks mate, I sealed the canopy this morning and hope to mask it up later, then get some primer on.

Molly is just about full grown now, and will be a year old at the end of June. She has just had her first season so has been confined to barracks for the past few weeks, I hope to start taking her out later this week. I must admit that it has been strange walking without her, and people are wary about asking where she is in case it is bad news. We will have her spayed about 3 months after her next season, so that won't be an issue in future.

I fixed the canopy in position then sealed any gaps with some Kristal Klear. Once that was dry I painted the frames black before adding some primer, and this afternoon I sprayed the lower surface with some Tamiya Silver Leaf. I'll get the undersides masked up, before adding one of the camouflage colours tomorrow.

41359399365_89c90a4f40_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

41359397795_0d38cc7062_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 3

I managed to get both of the camo colours on today, the outer face of the port fin needs some touch up and, where I have marked out the pattern for the green, there are a few pencil marks to remove.

41562202124_4a6d52b9d0_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

41562200674_b228658cb4_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 7

3 hours ago, CliffB said:

It's looking nice in camo John.

Cliff

Thanks very much Cliff, I gave the paint a light rub down and removed the pencil marks last night, before adding a couple of coats of clear. This morning the decals went on and I will go over those with another clear coat tomorrow, meanwhile I can get on with sorting out the final details. I still have to decide about the underwing tanks, sprayed up aluminium with red on the nose, they would add some more colour.

27454722397_9c4ce66097_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

27454721287_497787811a_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 6

On ‎24‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 19:11, Hockeyboy76 said:

Looking really nice dude, what a great little kit. 

Cheers buddy, it really is a cracking little kit, and thanks to @ajmm I have a Sun Details resin engine on the way for a future build. I think that it might be a tail-sitter though. :winkgrin:

Cheers 

• Like 2

Having added some whip aerials and a pitot, made from brass micro tubing and wire, I thought that I would be able to call this build finished, but whilst taking some photos I noticed that the small mast under the starboard wing had disappeared, so I will have to sort out a replacement. The sharper eyed viewers out there will also have noticed the small amount of white tack under the nosewheel, yes this one is a tail sitter. Not a big surprise really, because there is not a lot of room in the nose, so I was left trying to squeeze as much as I could behind the rear cockpit bulkhead. I will have to make a base for this now using the mdf base in the photo, and then I can pin the model in position.

40584699010_9ce542fb9e_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

27522591587_6ac6dc70ac_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 3

I finished the base for the Vampire today and, after adding the aerial that went astray in the previous post, the model is now firmly fixed in place. All of which means that I can call this one finished. Thanks to all who have followed along,

I hope to make up the second kit soon, finished as the South African version in silver and luminous orange to go alongside the Royal Navy Hunter that I have completed recently. Meanwhile it's time to press on with the Canberra.

42384233432_ebc3dfcf9c_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

41711289864_de8c965b7f_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 5