Yak-38 Afghanistan Operation Romb

Couple of HobbyBoss Yak-38s from two different theaters. Begemot decals had good paint reference that helped with the colors (which were AKAN) and the pattern.

I find the kit to be a relatively easy build, definitely look the part but in are need of lots of aftermarket assistance. I used plenty of Quickboost resin replacements, Dream Model PE to name a couple.

jMCR9hb.jpg

wcu5U7l.jpg?1

XiHZKMt.jpgGWTJ52d.jpg

aCie8yE.jpg6sgG0rr.jpgyPdqHBy.jpg7pLwRNl.jpgH9jJqF9.jpgNQ3wDtk.jpg

• Like 46

How cool is that!  :thumbsup:

Firstly it's a smashing model and secondly, I had no idea they used the Forger in Afghanistan.....The pilots were clearly either as mad as a badger or incredibly brave (maybe both)?  :o

PS - It would be even cooler if we (all) knew the scale (not just those familiar with wingy kits).  ;)

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

How cool is that!  :thumbsup:

Firstly it's a smashing model and secondly, I had no idea they used the Forger in Afghanistan.....The pilots were clearly either as mad as a badger or incredibly brave (maybe both)?  :o

PS - It would be even cooler if we (all) knew the scale (not just those familiar with wingy kits).  ;)

I don't think they were very good at getting off the ground so didn't stay long!

Thanks for pointing out the scale (1/48) omission, corrected now.

• Thanks 1

I have a soft-spot for the Forger, and did one in desert colours a few years back when the kit came out.  I've got a 2-seater in the stash, but as it's got some fairly hefty issues in the back end, it might have to stay there until I, or some other kind soul can resolve them with a bit of resin. :hmmm:

Can I ask what the over-spray on the green portions of the camouflage are?  I've been sitting here trying to see them, so I have to ask :blush: Top job on having two of them finished :clap2:

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Mike said:

I have a soft-spot for the Forger, and did one in desert colours a few years back when the kit came out.  I've got a 2-seater in the stash, but as it's got some fairly hefty issues in the back end, it might have to stay there until I, or some other kind soul can resolve them with a bit of resin. :hmmm:

Can I ask what the over-spray on the green portions of the camouflage are?  I've been sitting here trying to see them, so I have to ask :blush: Top job on having two of them finished :clap2:

I agree on the two seater, it needs a plug or two to lengthen it and I'm still waiting for someone else to come up with a fix, thought it might come as there's a ton of resin stuff already for these; full intakes, fans, exhausts, doors, cockpit, PE...

As for the overspray it's a clumsy attempt to address what looks to me like a field application paint job. I studied the first photo a lot and it looks a bit beaten and weathered, now that it's done I want to go back with some lighter grays and greens and fade it to be a bit more mottled. Plus it almost looks like there's an eye and maybe even snake fangs on the nose (?) so I might totally redo it. 

Nice build of a not too often seen kit and it really s a pity that Hobby Boss got a little lost on the twin-seater but maybe someone will come to the rescue with a fix one day.

As for the non-standard colour scheme I wonder if the image you used was taken as the aircraft were either being prepared for their Afghan mission or on their return to Saki from it after which they were returned to standard colours.      The colours used for Operation Romb were reportedly green and brown to no set pattern and according to Yefim Gordon's book on the Yak-36 , 38 & 41 'Yellow 25' was definitely one of the aircraft involved in the trial.

Soviet reports on the trial was that performance and weapons delivery accuracy was generally underwhelming with operations restricted to Short Take Off/Vertical Landing mode and limited to a combat radius of 120 Km./74.5 miles with ordnance loads up to 500 Kg./1100 lb.

EDIT & APOLOGIES - I have just re-read the instructions for the Begemot Yak-38 Decals and discovered that my other reference has it it wrong and '25' differed from the other Romb aircraft by having only grey and green camouflage although your photo of the real aircraft shows  there to be a bit more grey than Begemot's instructions do specially  around the air intake and above the rear jet pipe.

Edited by Des
Correcting an inaccuracy
  • Like 1

Nice models of an unusual subject.  I was going to say that I really like the blue scheme until I noticed it had a dark green underside.  What were they thinking?

Andrew

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Andwil said:

Nice models of an unusual subject.  I was going to say that I really like the blue scheme until I noticed it had a dark green underside.  What were they thinking?

Andrew

As a kid I built a Kiev class carrier with Forgers on it, bright green and orange deck, bright blue and green planes, quite colorful compared to the usual variation of greys of all other navies. I agree about the Forger’s green underside, never heard that explained.