More questions about JU-87D’s/G’s

Hello ... Does anyone know if the early D Stuka’s in North Africa & Italy have a Sand Filter ? If so was it mounted to the upper starboard intake on the cowling ? Also I’m looking for any schematics for the outer wing bomb racks and/or drop tank mounts ? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated ? Thank you in advance. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

Dennis,

According to the text in  both William Green's Warplanes of the Third Reich and Kagero volumes 54 and 55 on the Ju-87D/G, the Ju-87D and G trops were "fitted with sand filters and other tropical equipment."(sic) I take "other" to mean possibly extra water, rations, and a Mauser rifle, as in the Ju-87B trop. After examining the photos and 3-D drawings in the Kagero monographs, it looks like there is a flapper door at the mouth of the intake on the RH side of the cowling that could be open or shut, blocking the entrance of sand  while on the ground or in the air. It's possible there might also be a filter assembly inside the intake housing, but there is nothing visible on the outside, and you can just barely make out the hinge assembly for the flapper door immediately in front of the intake in photos. The Kagero monograph vol. 54 does have color 3-D drawings of the wing bomb racks as well as the fairing and plumbing for external wing tanks. That's all I was able to find in my reference library- sorry, Dennis!

Mike

Oops! I forgot I had the MMP monograph on the Ju-87, no. 6125. On page 111, there are two color photos of the RH engine cowling of a Ju-87G trop. You can clearly see a D-shaped door that is closed over the opening to the intake. I'm guessing that is the sand filter, and when the door closes over the opening of the intake, then air might be drawn into the intake ducting from within the engine bay instead of from the outside. I do not see any evidence of a filtration assembly like you see on Bf-109's and Fw-190's.

Edited by 72modeler
added additional text
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello again ... With the later war Stuka’s i know the camouflage was the standard bomber splinter scheme of RLM 70/71. My question is did they replace the RLM 65 with RLM 76 ? Or was it always RLM 65. 

Dennis,

Somebody will probably know for sure, but I think they stayed with RLM65 undersurfaces to the end of the war. Many of the night interdiction  versions did have a squiggle pattern of RLM 76 sprayed over the 70/71 uppersurfaces. With the suppressed exhausts, they are nasty-looking spuds!

Mike

• Thanks 1