Special Hobby 1/72nd Dornier Do27

What a little gem of a kit this is.. Not my usual subject but the box art of a German aircraft drew me in. I was originally going to build the German one but when a South African friend said they operated 2 of them for trials I decided to send for the MAV sheet which covers one of them. As I enjoyed the build so much I shall still do the German one ASAP. Plus it's got some nice dayglo on it too...

It really is a delicate little model. Fit is nigh on perfect, there are different internal options, with or without opening door options and what did strike me was the quality of the plastic. Certainly not the usual Special Hobby with no flash whatsoever but then again their latest releases seem an improvement over previous years. Thoroughly recommended....

Thanks for looking.

41845239962_37fc9beb2b_c.jpgIMG_3239

40989312275_6ce090ca5b_c.jpgIMG_3236

40989300515_8f42ffa5cc_c.jpgIMG_3240

28018505748_7d7708e2b7_c.jpgIMG_3241

40080844940_e64d46d99b_c.jpgIMG_3248

• Like 35

Keith,

Very nice model! I'm not a big fan of the type, but the kit looks like a very good one, as you said, and the color scheme is very  attractive. Can't wait to see the WGAF one with the dayglo- love the three color NATO camouflage and orange! Well done!

Mike

Very nice.  Never saw one of those before.  Almost a bit art-deco-ish in lines.  What's the vintage... 1930 give or take a year?  Judging by the size of the seats it can't be much bigger than a Camel or SE5.

One hell of an improvement on the antediluvian Matchbox offering!

My ears pricked up as soon as I read that SH were producing one of these! I have always wanted a German one... now is the time.

Beautiful build, by the way!

JR

1 hour ago, Uncle Pete said:

Very nice.  Never saw one of those before.  Almost a bit art-deco-ish in lines.  What's the vintage... 1930 give or take a year?  Judging by the size of the seats it can't be much bigger than a Camel or SE5.

Hi Uncle Pete,

more like a mid-fifties vintage.

Cheers

JR

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, jean said:

One hell of an improvement on the antediluvian Matchbox offering!

My ears pricked up as soon as I read that SH were producing one of these! I have always wanted a German one... now is the time.

Beautiful build, by the way!

JR

Hi Jean,

Matchbox?  Aren't you thinking of the Dornier 28? Twin engine high wing fixed u/c? Can't remember them doing a '27'? 

They were built between 1955 and 1965 and the 2 with the SAAF between 1958 and 1967 with one crashing in 1962.

Edited by keithjs

2 hours ago, keithjs said:

Hi Jean,

Matchbox?  Aren't you thinking of the Dornier 28? Twin engine high wing fixed u/c? Can't remember them doing a '27'? 

They were built between 1955 and 1965 and the 2 with the SAAF between 1958 and 1967 with one crashing in 1962.

Hi Keith,

you are of course correct. I am still in the process of learning to count to 50, so numerals do get somewhat jumbled!

The sad thing is that I built the Do 28, so long ago, and that at the same time I have always wanted to build a Do 27... It must be a cross wiring problem. Should I worry?

Thanks for putting me back on the right path.

JR

18 minutes ago, jean said:

Hi Keith,

you are of course correct. I am still in the process of learning to count to 50, so numerals do get somewhat jumbled!

The sad thing is that I built the Do 28, so long ago, and that at the same time I have always wanted to build a Do 27... It must be a cross wiring problem. Should I worry?

Thanks for putting me back on the right path.

JR

Not a problem Jean, although it's now given me a nice idea....  I think Revell released it too if I remember? 

2 hours ago, CMSCHLOM said:

Love your SAF aircraft.  Was this known as the Kudo?

Thank you. Not sure about the name? I can't find it listed anywhere. I'd be interested to know tho'.

Hi Keith,

A lovely build Sir ! :thumbsup2: You beat to it as I am just starting my one...

I think I am right in saying that Special Hobby are going to release further boxing's of this kit with African decal options in it ???

Thanks for sharing it,

Regards Colin.

2 hours ago, Colin1967 said:

Hi Keith,

A lovely build Sir ! :thumbsup2: You beat to it as I am just starting my one...

I think I am right in saying that Special Hobby are going to release further boxing's of this kit with African decal options in it ???

Thanks for sharing it,

Regards Colin.

Thank you. Yes its D-ENTE, the zebra striped one as per the old Revell 1/32nd scale kit. I assume there'll be other markings too?  https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/SH72349