Bristol Blenheim IF Nightfighter 25 Sqn

Progressing through the various kits and iterations of 1/72 Blenheims; this is the best kit so far.

Previously……….

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234969089-bristol-blenheim-mk-iv-airfix-172-with-canopy-frame-tape-picture/

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235034300-blenheim-1f-nightfighter-600-sqn/

This is the Airfix Bristol Blenheim IF - pretty much out of the box.

28014695538_8df7e72846_h.jpg

The nacelles over the wing were reduced in size, enough in profile but maybe not quite enough in planform and other non-Blenheim features removed. Despite warning in other internet posts the instructions were followed as far as building the nose separately and joining it to the fuselage. It worked but was not easy and it may well be better to join the nose and main fuselage halves beforehand. Next time will probably be different. Apart from that no difficulties were encountered.

A lot of help on the camouflage and markings was provided by Graham Boak and Tony O’Toole, both well known on Britmodeller. Thanks to both of you.

ZK-X of 25 Squadron is the only identifiable day camouflage radar-equipped Blenheim I have been able to find. It is featured in this web page.

https://wwiini.org/people/joseph-beckett-thompson/

which is a tribute to Sgt Joe Thompson, killed when Blenheim L1408 collided with another Blenheim while doing a radar test. A few decal makers have assumed ZK-X is L1408 flown by Thompson but examination of the picture shows it is L1291. A most helpful communication from Mr Dean Moore of the IWM confirmed this. This is the penultimate appearance of Blenheim IF night fighters before the overall RDM2 was adopted.

41884258001_477b221e98_h.jpg

28014693668_0cb5ce65af_h.jpg

To fit all of the radar array and cowlings reference to this drawing may be helpful as a supplement to the instructions.

41884310801_0be8706c3c_b.jpg

The model was painted with Model master enamels and the decals are mainly from the DK Decals Blenheim sheet with an Alps-printed serial. In the contemporary photographs the 25 Sqn Blenheims look a bit tatty but not very weathered and I have attempted to portray this.

]41884259491_c84c8b26a9_h.jpg

The process which led to the unusual underside is assumed to be

1. Initial scheme as a bomber - all undersurfaces Night

2. Fighter Command scheme 1 - split Night/White but all control surfaces left Night. This fits in with the prevailing view at that time (referenced in the C&M Blenheim Camouflage booklet and other places) that uneven coats of paint might unbalance the ailerons

3. Fighter Command scheme 2 - All undersurfaces repainted in Sky except the control surfaces.

28014692528_201634cd66_h.jpg

• Like 37

That looks great Ed.

I'll repeat - nice use of research material in order to extract the best out of this kit.

I'll also follow your (and others) recomendations to attach each sides nose to rear fuse pieces before marrying the completed fuselage halves together.

Cheers and well modelled... Dave

On 5/5/2018 at 12:39 PM, Rabbit Leader said:

I'll also follow your (and others) recommendations to attach each sides nose to rear fuse pieces before marrying the completed fuselage halves together.

Thanks to all who replied.

I haven't actually tried that method but I'll report back when I have.

• 8 months later...

Have to agree with you that attaching the front fuselage parts to the rear fuselage parts then joining the two halves is easier. tried both methods and  this works better than the Airfix instructions. Nice model and good research to go with it!