Mi-24A Hind A decals

71chally

Been through my Begemont,Authentic & Caracal sheets and nothing. Have done one in Algerian markings but I think I used the Zotz (Roundels of the World), and that stopped at the Middle East. Chris

• Like 1

That's precisely the one that I want to do Richard, it must have been one of the last As flying as it was snapped in 2006.

I guess a generic sheet covering Vietnam decals might do it.

Thanks for your help checking decals Chris

Right search continued: Superscale 72-460 is for Hinds including two A's where my Algerian option came from. Vietnamese markings appear on 72-102(Mig 17) & 72-473( Mig 21). I'm now going for a lay down to recover after checking through 17 lever arch files. Phew

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/4/2018 at 10:55 PM, 71chally said:

That's precisely the one that I want to do Richard, it must have been one of the last As flying as it was snapped in 2006.

I guess a generic sheet covering Vietnam decals might do it.

That would be an excellent project to learn to design your own decals: just one number, one national marking and one danger marking. It's maybe an hour of work if you want to do it accurately.

Rob

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, JPuente54 said:

You didn't mention which kit you are building. There are three "HindA" kits of which I am aware.

Joe

Zevezda is the best option these days.

Cheers,

Andre

Andre, thanks for letting me know. I do have the Zvezda kit; I bought it a couple of months ago. It is very nicely done. I also have the Hasegawa "Hind A" from the mid-late '80s(two of them). I have also read that Airfix did an "A" model kit in the mid-'80s along with the "Hind D". I never saw the "A"; only the "D" model, which I also have in my stash. The Zvezda kit is best of them as far as the level of detail goes. I am somewhat surprised that the AM for it is so small. All I found for it was the Eduard masks(for which I am grateful). 71chally, Rob's suggestion may be the only option for now; good luck with the project!

Joe

15 hours ago, JPuente54 said:

I have also read that Airfix did an "A" model kit in the mid-'80s along with the "Hind D". I never saw the "A"; only the "D" model, which I also have in my stash. 

Joe

At least one of the Airfix boxings has both the Hind A and D noses and tail fins in the kit, not sure which one though.  Believe Heller released it with two noses aswel.

It is the Zvezda kit that I am asking about, but  I guess the basic question would be the same for any of the kits.  Like you I'm amazed at the lack of aftermarket for the kit. 

The Zvezda kits are superb and I can't believe how cheap they are, especially against the Hasegawa prices.

I will probably go with Robs suggestion, but will try and source the Vietnam national markings from another set.

Thanks again for all the help.

The original Airfix D photobox, both Palitoy and Humbrol, only had the D nose; I recall a review stating that the D nose was included in an A-marked boxing as well, but I am not sure whether this was for the Airfix or Heller boxing. Has the Airfix kit been in production in the past 25 years at all ?

Had a look at the HDL site, no Vietnamese Hinds but IIRC at least one sheet for other Vietnamese types.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info Tempestfan, can you link to those decals or give a product number?

I've just looked at the Hi-Decal Line website, their decals look impressive, first that I have heard of them.

This is the Airfix boxing that has both A and D Hind options,

...and this one,

https://www.oldmodelkits.com/index.php?detail=10516&page=54

I seem to remember that it was an ok kit, from the time they did the Seasprite and Ka-25 Hormone.

Zvezda are the only ones, understandably given the limited info of the time, to include the fuselage lean to stb'd and the correct 2 crew cockpit for the Hind A.

Edited by 71chally