Another (yawn) Spitfire

Did final assembly on Airfix Spitfire 1A (55100, Starter Kit, 1/72), yesterday.  I think I'm finally starting to get the hang of this lark.  I'm starting to get a "feel" for the paint... Somehow it's brushing on much more easily for me.  Obviously I've subconsciously figured something out but have no idea what it is or how I'm doing it.  Not to worry, if it works, don't fix it.  OOB except for the pilot's deck chair and painted with Humbrol enamels, 155 and 29 for the camo, 90 underneath, a mix of artist's acrylics for bits and bobs and the interior.  The box called for a black and white "harlequin" underside but I personally don't really like that so I went with the "sky".  It's supposed to have a sky band around the fuze just in front of the tail feathers but I tore it and had already waxed the plane so decided to go without rather than try to paint one on.  Cooperated in the main but the fuze halves went together slightly skew-whiff.  Don't know whether it was me or the kit but I assume when the locating pegs pop in, that's where it's gonna go.  I almost (but not quite) defeated the resulting ridge with liberal application of filler and sandpaper.  The wings were a bit of a game, too, but after some gentle persuasion with the sandpaper dropped in with only a slight loss of dihedral.  I decided to eat the loss rather than risk making things worse by continued faffing.

Spit 11

Didn't notice till I looked at the picture that the left U/C leg is a bit squint.  Have to see If I can't straighten it out later.  I like the head-on shots of warbirds... Makes 'em look proper 'ard.  I should maybe touch up the raggedy leading edge colours but not sure if I trust myself to do it.

Spit 14

The canopy frame could use a bit of tidying, too, but do I trust myself?  I'd have preferred to have the glasshouse slid open but there's no way on earth I'm ever going to be capable of accurate enough surgery so I suppose I can say it's raining and put the pilot under the wing. As it is, the canopy fitted quite seamlessly after application of some good old-fashioned brute force.

Spit 18

He still needs a couple more shots of the red stuff on the decals and a topcoat of wax (and maybe a coat of flat varnish but I'm undecided whether I like the shiny look or the "more realistic" look).  I've been promising myself I'd take this one to the next level and try muckying it up a bit but have lost my nerve.  Maybe I'll be braver in a couple of weeks when it's not so spanky new, complete with that "new plane smell".  (And that's the main reason I've not topcoated it yet.)

Spit 23

Thanks for looking (and not laughing!)

• Like 23

Nice Spit Pete and I love the deckchair :) Nothing to laugh at there but plenty to smile about...

• Thanks 1

Great!   ..really like the deckchair :)  ..what a good use of an Airfix pilot. 

p.s. I found the paints in the starter sets, er..."not quite the quality" of other brands. I use Gunze all the time now- thinned they brush on really nicely...order online.

Edited by Dave N
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Dave N said:

"not quite the quality"

I only got the starter set because it was just a quid more and I figured a paintbrush, a tube of glue and a couple of little pots of spare paint was worth it.  Haven't been in the game long enough to try different paints.  So far the Humbrol has been working reasonably well, though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

the resting pilot

I'd considered giving him a cup of tea till I calculated the 1/72 size of an 8 ounce tin mug.

• Haha 2

Excellent, I really like your little diorama. I agree with you about the little pots of paint in the Airfix starter kits, I have had some success with them when thinned with windscreen wash but the finish does feel gritty when sprayed.

Edited by Telboy3510
Incorrect spelling
  • Thanks 1

Lovely Spitfire and the deck chair is brilliant.

My mother always told me if you can't say anything nice about someone, don't say anything, so I won't mention the starter set paints! 

Andrew