Meng Whippet Tank

Hi folks,  Here is my completed Meng Whippet Tank.  Please let me know what you think of the weathering.  I think I may have gone overboard a bit, but somebody else thought it was understated.  Constructive criticisms are very welcomed.

41150983084_33b96fe48e_c.jpgIMG_3434 by Mark Wakelin, on Flickr

40060886720_14bf5e9780_c.jpgIMG_3441 by Mark Wakelin, on Flickr

41825131222_58284de05e_c.jpgIMG_3440 by Mark Wakelin, on Flickr

40060887680_466bcd93d4_c.jpgIMG_3439 by Mark Wakelin, on Flickr

41825132892_0a9d75e759_c.jpgIMG_3438 by Mark Wakelin, on Flickr

40060888460_e0f247fbcb_c.jpgIMG_3437 by Mark Wakelin, on Flickr

41825135552_cb017ee973_c.jpgIMG_3436 by Mark Wakelin, on Flickr

40969581695_8e8b1ebd92_c.jpgIMG_3435 by Mark Wakelin, on Flickr

40969603305_243d5e344a_c.jpgIMG_3432 by Mark Wakelin, on Flickr

Edited by Mark_1984
  • Like 19

Looks nice. I like weathering, wood pads. My suggestion - add some dirt on the Firefly decal. This section looks to clean comparing to the rest of the model.

• Thanks 1

I'd say the build and weathering looks awesome!! I've got a Takom Whippet to build at some point and will bookmark your build for reference. Very well done. 

Kind regards,

Stix 

Thanks for the kind words chaps.  The Firefly decal is quite clean, but photo has made it look a lot brighter than it really is.  It looks much more in keeping with the rest of the model in the flesh.

I like it. :) Not every tank was ploughing through mud from dawn to dusk, and they fought in the summer too.  The small accumulations of grit at the edges of sloped panels is also nice... a summer model! ;)

• Like 1

Very nice! I'm curious what paint you used for the tracks, and what you used for the subtle rust, because it looks perfect. I find people (including myself sometimes) have a tendency to put too much rust on tracks. 

Thank guys.  The tracks were painted with AK chipping colour, then roughly mottled with AK dark rust and old rust.  Then track wash and dark iron pigment (all AK).

Finally I added MIG standard rust pigment sparingly, and worked it in well with MIG pigment fixer (the solvent stuff, not the resin stuff), and finally added some MIG European dust and worked that in with fixer.  I found I had to be really sparing with the rust pigment as it's a strong colour.  I can't claim to be an expert by any means, it's only the second set of tracks I've weathered properly.  Put half of it down to luck!

9 hours ago, Kris B said:

Looks nice. I like weathering, wood pads. My suggestion - add some dirt on the Firefly decal. This section looks to clean comparing to the rest of the model.

I had another look, and did add a touch of dust over the decal.  Looks much better now - thanks 😊

That's perfect for me. I know that tanks get REALLY filthy but for a model not in a diorama I think that is exactly how I would hope to finish a model.

Well played sir!

• Like 1

On 5/4/2018 at 9:12 AM, Mark_1984 said:

Thank guys.  The tracks were painted with AK chipping colour, then roughly mottled with AK dark rust and old rust.  Then track wash and dark iron pigment (all AK).

Finally I added MIG standard rust pigment sparingly, and worked it in well with MIG pigment fixer (the solvent stuff, not the resin stuff), and finally added some MIG European dust and worked that in with fixer.  I found I had to be really sparing with the rust pigment as it's a strong colour.  I can't claim to be an expert by any means, it's only the second set of tracks I've weathered properly.  Put half of it down to luck!

Very nice, I'll have to remember that when I do my FT-17 with similar tracks. 

• Like 1