De Havilland D.H.89 Tainui, iMacRobertson air race, Heller kit modification

17 hours ago, stevehnz said:

@VH-USB Tim, I'd certainly be pleased to have a match for the Titinine orange. Without being able to be completely certain there is a strong likelihood that it was a paint that De Havillands were using, don't 'spose the chart has a middish green for the nacelles too?

Steve.

Steve,

I will match the 1935 Titanine orange color chip when I have access to my old paint charts next week.

Would you like a match to the American Federal Standards or the British Standards charts?

My 1935 Titanine paint chart (for civil/commercial aircraft) does contain some greens. I'll provide a match for a couple of the greens as well.

I did provide a match to two of the middle and dark greens and posted it here when the color of the dark green DH88 Comet was being discussed.

A number of publications, including the MacRobertson Air Race special journal issue from the Aviation Historical Society of Australia, describe the green used on *Tainui* as being 'Bottle Green'.

Bottle Green is a rather common color from the period and it is included in the BS color chart so if you have that you can match to it. There may even be a readily available modeling paint.

Tim

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Tim, either BS or FS is OK, whatever gives the closer match, will be fine. I can check on the Bottle green BS colour & figure out how best to match it, I hadn't thought to check on the DH.88 thread, so will dig it up & reread it.

Steve

I went to paint the nacelles green, but realized that I had forgotten to paint the area where the orange bands go on the sides of the nacelles the same color as the fuselage. So I used the green already loaded on the airbrush to spray the struts, and then applied orange to those areas on the nacelles.

In turn, they will be masked before the green is later applied there and to the other side of the struts.

Phew! 

The model at this point is so wrapped-up on masks that it could have been the plane of a  fancy mummy:

IMG_5304+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 6

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 5:37 PM, stevehnz said:

Thanks Tim, either BS or FS is OK, whatever gives the closer match, will be fine. I can check on the Bottle green BS colour & figure out how best to match it, I hadn't thought to check on the DH.88 thread, so will dig it up & reread it.

Steve

Steve,

I finally had the time to dig out my old 1935 Titanine paint chart and here are the BS and FS matches for the orange and dark green colors used on the DH89 *Tainui*. The color descriptions are the Titanine color description/number...

Titanine 'Orange - Shade No. TE 78'

BS557 Light Orange  (too light needs about 10% more red)

FS12243 (too light needs about 5% more red)

Titanine 'Green - Shade No. TE 32' (this is the dark green shade)

BS6074 Md. Brunsw. Green

FS14062

Titanine 'Green - Shade No. TE 35' (this is the medium green shade)

BS225 Lt. Brunsw. Green

FS14110

A number of publications describe the dark green on *Tainui* as 'Bottle Green'. This would be the Titanine TE 32 color. The BS6073 'Bottle Green' is a very close match to TE 32 and only needs to be about 5% darker for a perfect match.

I have merely provided matches for the medium green Titanine TE 35 as you asked that I do.

Personally, I would go with the darker Titanine TE 32 for *Tainui* as it is so close to the described 'Bottle Green' color.

Hopes this proves useful for your project Steve.

Tim

Edited by VH-USB
spelling
  • Thanks 2

Silver bands are applied to the nacelles as the base for the black bands. 

Only partially was the frame of the windows metal color. The Arctic Decals "metal" frames are applied:

IMG_5361+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The blanked windows on the plane had a somewhat sloppy surface, so that was replicated.
The black bands are on the nacelles now, leaving just the edges of the silver strip to show:

IMG_5363+%25281280x960%2529-1.jpg

IMG_5365+%25281280x960%2529-1.jpg

Decals are applied to represent the seams of the stitching. A nav light was added:

IMG_5367+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Tail rigging and rudder control cables in place too:

IMG_5368+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 10