De Havilland D.H.89 Tainui, iMacRobertson air race, Heller kit modification

The skins for the top and bottom fuselage are prepared:

IMG_5000+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The particular rectangular emergency exit hatch Tainui had will be later added on, once the skin is firmly in place:

IMG_5001+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The kit's nose light is glued and blended-in, since Tainui as said above had no nose light:

IMG_5002+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 9

• fjaweijfopi4j48 changed the title to De Havilland D.H.89 Tainui, iMacRobertson air race, Heller kit modification

The horizontal stabilizer is sanded down to erase the rib relief, that is angled incorrectly. New "ribs" are engraved. The angle of the root rib is changed to better fit the fuselage sides, avoiding the swept-back angle that the kit renders otherwise.

The front knob, that was removed to alter said angle, is drilled and replaced with rod.

Now ready for priming:

IMG_5155+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 5

I'm looking forward to seeing the big colour reveal. What/whose orange are you using? Even the Tasman models instructions area bit unspecific about the shade as I could expect.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz

5 hours ago, k5054nz said:

You make me want to build kits of DH aircraft. Not good for someone with none in the stash and no job! 😁

He's a bad influence isn't he? He then tries to flog us dodgy "Excuse Me" notes. :chair:

Martian 👽

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I'm looking forward to seeing the big colour reveal. What/whose orange are you using? Even the Tasman models instructions area bit unspecific about the shade as I could expect.

Steve.

Steve,

The orange color on *Tainui* is often described in period publications as being "tangerine".

De Havilland used Titanine brand paints and I have a 1935 color chart from them that contains an actual paint sample of orange. I can match to this if anyone is interested.

The book 'Magnificent Enterprise' contains a period color photo of a DH90 Dragonfly which has a tangerine fuselage and this may well be the same color as used on *Tainui*.

Cheers,

Tim

Edited by VH-USB
wrong date
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Steve.

Hi Steve

I tried Humbrol gloss orange 18 and Model Master 2022 international orange.

They are quite similar, but I decanted for international orange. You may mix a microscopic smidgen of white at the end to produce some local highlights once the main color is on.

Since we can not know what hue the original orange color really was, I invite everyone to make their own take, within reason. The green for the nacelles and struts will be next, and I have Humbrol gloss green 2 and Model Master 2028 willow green may be for highlights, will see how that works.

• Like 2

@VH-USB Tim, I'd certainly be pleased to have a match for the Titinine orange. Without being able to be completely certain there is a strong likelihood that it was a paint that De Havillands were using, don't 'spose the chart has a middish green for the nacelles too?

@Moa What you are proposing is not too far off what I had in mind too though without the MM inputs, hard to find this side of the pond. I'm sure whatever you arrive at will look the piece.

Steve.