De Havilland D.H.89 Tainui, iMacRobertson air race, Heller kit modification

Thanks Roger, Tim and everybody for pitching-in.
As you all well know, it's almost always difficult to establish firm facts about the planes we research, study and build models of, that belong to earlier periods.

The exterior, given the high number of images you can readily find on the Net is almost no problem.

As you probably saw the "three tanks" look like sandwiched modules on the Flight sketch, and that's how I depicted them. One station was between the tank and the cockpit, and the other aft the cabin. Elements for those have been already fabricated.

A bit of guessing will be chanced, but the general idea, whatever perfectly accurate or not, will be there, to be partially and difficulty seen from the open door and the small windows, that is if you manage to get your nose close enough to the fuselage 😉

I will start painting the cabin/cockpit pan and add the bits accordingly, so I can close the fuselage and proceed with the build.

P/S: there is one in-flight photo taken from the fuselage that shows the wings to the left, most likely from the window at the door.

Mat be this was the mentioned photographer, or just a crew member with a camera.

It seems really odd that a there was no radio on board, especially considering that there wasn't a space issue, and the daunting prospect of a feat as complex and challenging as the prospect of flying from England to Australia.

1uh07nn_802t_l.jpg

34 minutes ago, Moa said:

It seems really odd that a there was no radio on board, especially considering that there wasn't a space issue, and the daunting prospect of a feat as complex and challenging as the prospect of flying from England to Australia.

By this time, there had been numerous flights from England to Australia, usually in lightplanes, often flown solo....as were some of the race participants. So a radio wasn't considered mandatory.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Roger Holden said:

I dug my copy out and although it doesn't contain photos of use, it does contain some pertinent info. It says that although the third crew member has been described as a radio operator, according to Cyril Kay,he was actually a professional photographer taken along to film the race. It is not thought any radio was fitted. There were 3 fuel tanks suspended from the top of the fuselage. The article also refers to another one in Vol 18 no 2 of the same mag, specifically on the plane, which may contain more info.

In his autobiography *The Restless Sky* Kay states that the third crew member was a photographer. He was aboard Kay says to "film the flight". This may mean the flight to Australia was not only shot with still photos but also as a motion picture. Perhaps somewhere there exists a video of this original film?!

And it appears that most of the cabin description of *Tainui* that can be found in the special journal issue of the AHSA is taken directly from Kay's book.

Tim

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Moa said:

Thanks Roger, Tim and everybody for pitching-in.
As you all well know, it's almost always difficult to establish firm facts about the planes we research, study and build models of, that belong to earlier periods.

The exterior, given the high number of images you can readily find on the Net is almost no problem.

As you probably saw the "three tanks" look like sandwiched modules on the Flight sketch, and that's how I depicted them. One station was between the tank and the cockpit, and the other aft the cabin. Elements for those have been already fabricated.

A bit of guessing will be chanced, but the general idea, whatever perfectly accurate or not, will be there, to be partially and difficulty seen from the open door and the small windows, that is if you manage to get your nose close enough to the fuselage 😉

I will start painting the cabin/cockpit pan and add the bits accordingly, so I can close the fuselage and proceed with the build.

P/S: there is one in-flight photo taken from the fuselage that shows the wings to the left, most likely from the window at the door.

Mat be this was the mentioned photographer, or just a crew member with a camera.

I assume you have searched the web thoroughly for photos of *Tainui*, including all the nice ones that can be found on the various Australian archives/libraries.

The Sam Hood (photographer) collection of photos that are in the State Library of NSW has some good photo of *Tainui* but some can be a bit hard to find since in some cases *Tainui* is misspelled.

Here's a great photo of *Tainui* being offloaded in Australia:

http://archival.sl.nsw.gov.au/Details/archive/110053486

This nicely shows the sliding hatch in the upper fuselage.

Tim

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, VH-USB said:

I assume you have searched the web thoroughly for photos of *Tainui*, including all the nice ones that can be found on the various Australian archives/libraries.

The Sam Hood (photographer) collection of photos that are in the State Library of NSW has some good photo of *Tainui* but some can be a bit hard to find since in some cases *Tainui* is misspelled.

Here's a great photo of *Tainui* being offloaded in Australia:

http://archival.sl.nsw.gov.au/Details/archive/110053486

This nicely shows the sliding hatch in the upper fuselage.

Tim

I had, Tim, but thanks for pointing that out for other modelers as a resource.

I found it very easy to get all I needed regarding the plane's exterior from the Net regarding this plane. The participation on the race gave it no doubt some lime light.

I looked for that possible film of the race all about the place, but didn't find it.

Cheers

On 5/9/2018 at 2:31 PM, Moa said:

*Tainui* wasn't fitted with radios.

Co-pilot Cyril Kay did most of the navigation and that was done mainly by sighting known landmarks along the route. In his autobiography Kay mentions hardly any use of navigational tools other than the 'ol 'mark 2 eyeballs'!. Kay talks very confidently about finding their way during the flight.

Kay had flown the same route in early 1930 so he knew the route and it's landmarks. The 1930 flight was done, along with fellow friend and pilot Harold Piper, in a Desoutter Mk1 which had very rudimentary instruments. I believe this flight took 6 weeks.

Tim

• Like 1

6 hours ago, VH-USB said:

*Tainui* wasn't fitted with radios.

Co-pilot Cyril Kay did most of the navigation and that was done mainly by sighting known landmarks along the route. In his autobiography Kay mentions hardly any use of navigational tools other than the 'ol 'mark 2 eyeballs'!. Kay talks very confidently about finding their way during the flight.

Kay had flown the same route in early 1930 so he knew the route and it's landmarks. The 1930 flight was done, along with fellow friend and pilot Harold Piper, in a Desoutter Mk1 which had very rudimentary instruments. I believe this flight took 6 weeks.

Tim 

Hi Tim

It is good that you present and alternate view, so other modelers may have a different tale and may opt for it if they feel so inclined.

I'll stick to my own research, though. Lacking photographic evidence, everything else becomes a narration, that has been proven with some frequency to be not accurate, even coming from the people involved.

Half-fabulated, self-praising, self-crediting narrations by pilots and others are known to exist.

See bellow, all quotes (also narrations, of course) from pages on the Net (I have posted this before but somehow the post didn't go through apparently)

I do appreciate your views (exactly as anyone else's) and it's good that we all participate trying to achieve accuracy.

But as said, lacking photographic evidence, I will follow my own path, that has proven so far, if not perfect, correct in a very encouraging number of times when there was doubt or contradictory views.

What you are saying may be correct, and so may be what I am inclined to believe.

It'll be fantastic to have an interior photo.

-Hewett’s experience qualified him well to fly the aircraft, accompanied by Cyril Kay as navigator and Frank Stewart as radio operator, although the latter was also a well-known Auckland photographer.

-Departed Mildenhall with all competitors in the MacRobertson Air Race to Melbourne. ZK-ACO was eleventh to leave, race number 60 on rudder. Flown by all NZ crew of Sqn Ldr J. D. Hewett and Flying Officer C. E. Kay, radio operator F. Stewart.

-They decided to complete the journey home by flying the Tasman Sea. On 14 November, Hewett and Kay with F. Stewart (who had been a passenger on the flight from the U.K.) as radio operator, left Richmond Aerodrome, Sydney and landed with the aid of flares at Milson Aerodrome, Palmerston North. The "Tainui" ran through a perimeter fence at the end of the runway and sustained some minor damage.

-In October 1934 Kay competed in ‘The Great Race’, the MacRobertson Centenary Air Race from London to Melbourne, with another New Zealander, Sqdn Ldr Jim D. Hewett, and wireless operator Frank Stewart.  Their entry was New Zealand-backed, and they flew a twin-engined de Havilland Dragon Rapide ‘Tainui’ ZK-ACO, Race No. 60,  into fifth place.

So radio it is on my model:

42026814501_7a8319657c_b.jpg

Edited by Moa
to correct typo
  • Like 4

This is coming nicely Moa.  Researching a plane adds a whole new dimension to model building, headaches, coffee drinking and the odd discussion.  I am sitting at my desk looking at a picture of the Southern Cross and I have noticed the windows have different heights.

This particular picture is supposed to be made at Eagle Farm.  There are a few coppers pushing the tail of the aircraft away from the camera, engines running and the crowd is getting closer and closer to spinning propellers.   If this was going on today Work Cover would have a fit.

Once again this is a great model you are making Moa.

Stephen

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Roger Holden said:

In his autobiography 'The Restless Sky'  *Tainui* co-pilot Cyril Kay makes no mention of extra fuel cans being carried during the air race to Australia.

Kay does mention that immediately after the race, and during their preparations to continue the flight on to New Zealand, they worried that the tanks installed in *Tainui* would not allow a safe margin on the long flight across the Tasman Sea. So they decided to carry 4 gallon cans of aviation gasoline. While in flight Kay would puncture the can lids with a hammer and chisel and empty the small cans into the main cabin tank(s).

After their safe arrival in New Zealand it dawned on Kay how foolish and highly risky it was to puncture the 4 gallon cans as any spark from the steel chisel could well have sparked a fire.

The 4 gallon cans of aviation fuel *Tainui* carried most likely looked like the Gargoyle Mobiloil cans at the bottom right in this photo:

http://www.adastron.com/lockheed/altair/h88vhusb.htm

These cans were typical  for the period. You'll  see them in many period photos.

Tim

1 hour ago, VH-USB said:

In his autobiography 'The Restless Sky'  *Tainui* co-pilot Cyril Kay makes no mention of extra fuel cans being carried during the air race to Australia. 

My auntie Pocha makes no mention of the Taj Mahal, which proves it never existed.

I painted them blue because I thought of them as water containers, but I am glad that Roger pointed out that these are actually WWII German items (I draw them from the spares bin without considering origin) and the last thing I want is something associated with that theme.

I therefore modified the containers to avoid resemblance, repainted them in blue, and since I was at it I made a battery seen in the Flight magazine sketch (why a battery just bellow the main fuel tanks, heaven knows).

If the blue color (water) presents any problems, I offer the possibility of remaking them as containers of soup, porridge, scotch, cologne (you have to fight the long trip and cramped conditions), lanolin or milk (it's New Zealand after all), or even Indian Tonic Cunnington (Argentinian delicacy).

IMG_4923+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The fuselage halves are united. Customary family (of parts) photo.

Notice the scratched spinners, to which the obliterated original prop blades, once reshaped, will be attached:

IMG_4924+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

(It seems that somehow I got on my back the Modeling Police 🤨)

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Moa said:

(It seems that somehow I got on my back the Modeling Police 🤨)

That's why I removed my comment about the cans. On reflection, it sounded a little pedantic.  I sometimes forget most people build models for fun and are not OCD rivet counters like me...:) (but I'm glad you changed the cans). 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Roger Holden said:

That's why I removed my comment about the cans. On reflection, it sounded a little pedantic.  I sometimes forget most people build models for fun and are not OCD rivet counters like me...:) (but I'm glad you changed the cans). 

I am glad I did too, Roger, and appreciated the hint. I know you mean well.

it's true that we all have different takes on our approach to modeling. 

i know you are very knowledgeable and your models are an inspiration, as i expressed to you personally many times.

I try (as many others I guess) to find a balance, in my own building and in my input to others.

• Like 2

I wanted to replace the kit's nose light (which by the way it is not bad at all, but these hopefully will look a bit better), so I made a few "lenses" with punched aluminum sheet and resin:

IMG_4929+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

A bit of polishing and enhancement of the curvature with a rolling spherical tool:

IMG_4930+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Resin on with a toothpick, and to wait for it to cure now:

IMG_4931+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 9

And, of course, THERE WAS A RADIO AFTER ALL:

radio+0.jpg

radio+1.jpg

radio+2.jpg

radio+3.jpg

That's a lesson I learned the hard way regarding modeling: NEVER completely trust a source. If you can, verify everything, even statements by knowledgeable people. We ALL make mistakes, but to state unequivocally (and not as a possibility) that something is when is not, well....

I know, and I have done it too.

Listen to everyone, do not blindly trust anyone, no matter how expert.

• Like 3

Meanwhile, the upgrade set I ordered from Jays Hobby Products arrived.

I deem this a good deal.

You get the Heller kit, a decal sheet that is comprehensive and includes several subjects, and looks well printed. A photo reference spread, white metal inst. panel and nacelle fronts -in case you want to go for the "lipped" intake versions-, a vacuum-formed canopy in case you feel so inclined, an antenna, other bits, notes on versions and construction and details.

This came all well-packaged and arrived at an incredible fast speed from the vendor.

I will add more notes as I go for the "Tainui" decals (the rest is for me a future project), but this purchase has already rendered the first fruit:

In my quest for small details that apply only to Tainui, I did not see the obvious: Tainui does not have a landing light at the nose tip!

So my home-made lights (my preciousssss) will go to the other DH89 model I am building.

For this, I will use the kit´s clear part and blend it with the the rest of the nose before painting over it.

27267462997_6ede247725_b.jpg

41237334365_04811fa699_b.jpg

These seem nice and well printed, and have a number of interesting versions:

40331767600_20efb5b632_b.jpg

41237333955_03e2d5799c_b.jpg

The white metal nacelle fronts are a tad rough, but can be easily made neat with some fine sanding and careful priming.

My guess is that the red cable is for you to pull the strands from inside for the rigging, but I use other materials. The green film my guess is that it is for the tinted sections of the canopy (I should have read all the paperwork included):

40331767330_5bc17a24c9_b.jpg

This upgrade-cum-kit set really looks the part, and certainly deserves its own review space. But I may do that in the future when I go for it.

• Like 9

Like you,I've taken delivery of one of these just the other day, good value to my mind too. Also like you I've not read the whole thing through yet but a quick skim showed no detail about the long range tanks, so guess I'll need to fall back on Mr Kay's book & interpret them the best I can, come the day I attempt it.

Steve.

29 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Like you,I've taken delivery of one of these just the other day, good value to my mind too. Also like you I've not read the whole thing through yet but a quick skim showed no detail about the long range tanks, so guess I'll need to fall back on Mr Kay's book & interpret them the best I can, come the day I attempt it.

Steve.

Hi Steve

as i mentioned before, Flight magazine published a sketch of the cabin showing almost nothing BUT the tank.

i have already made the part as you may see on photos on previous posts.

Or go the the Flight archives and enter Tainui or MacRobertson on 1934.

cheers.

Thanks Moa, I'd had a quick look in between chores & come up empty handed so thats good to see. Something I'll need to factor into the whole, I'm guessing they were mounted thus to enable them to gravity feed, either in stead of a fuel pump or in the event of the pump dying. :unsure:

Steve.