Jump to content

As a result of the close-down of the UK by the British Government last night, we have made all the Buy/Sell areas read-only until we open back up again, so please have a look at the announcement linked here.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
JOCKNEY

Walrus crashes into bus shelter Azur Loire 130 C1 Colonial Flying Boat

Recommended Posts

This GB has really sneaked up on me.

 

This allow me a chance to finish a stalled build from MTO 1 see below

 

 

IMG_3059

 

IMG_3060

 

I haven't worked out the easy way of doing Vichy stripes so if you have done this without creating an orange mess, PLEASE let me know 

 

cheers Pat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice one Pat, I will be good to see this one finished.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That won't take but a moment to finish off Pat, you've done most of it.

:cwl:

Sooner you than me, mon frere. :ner:

Stripes - I'd be masking out for the whole area and laying down a coat of white. Then spray the red and mask what needs to stay red. Then (and I know that this is starting to build up the layers) more white then the yellow. Alternatively, one could (if one was positively deranged) spray white, mask off for just the red stripes, unmask, cover up the red and spray the yellow. Either way, it's a pile of effort and fiddly to boot.

A late thought -maybe some decal strips of the correct width? Possibly you'd have to spray and cut some blank sheet, but it would be doable, if still as fiddly as masking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with Rob G about the masking method. White base , red, mask the red. Rebase white then yellow. Its a pain, but will look fab when done.

 

As far as decals go I had mixed success with my A4 Skyhawk, but yellow decals on red worked well from a colour perspective, the failing was more my impatience and the numbr of decals that needed to conform to some complex shape.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Rob G said:

That won't take but a moment to finish off Pat, you've done most of it.

:cwl:

Sooner you than me, mon frere. :ner:

Stripes - I'd be masking out for the whole area and laying down a coat of white. Then spray the red and mask what needs to stay red. Then (and I know that this is starting to build up the layers) more white then the yellow. Alternatively, one could (if one was positively deranged) spray white, mask off for just the red stripes, unmask, cover up the red and spray the yellow. Either way, it's a pile of effort and fiddly to boot.

A late thought -maybe some decal strips of the correct width? Possibly you'd have to spray and cut some blank sheet, but it would be doable, if still as fiddly as masking.

Thanks Rob

Nice to hear from you and thanks for the "striping tips"

 

1 hour ago, Yeoman1942 said:

I agree with Rob G about the masking method. White base , red, mask the red. Rebase white then yellow. Its a pain, but will look fab when done.

 

As far as decals go I had mixed success with my A4 Skyhawk, but yellow decals on red worked well from a colour perspective, the failing was more my impatience and the numbr of decals that needed to conform to some complex shape.

Thanks Yoeman

I will follow yours and Robs advice. 

 

I am a long way away from worrying about painting at the moment !

 

cheers Pat

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why lay the red down before the yellow.....Could one not spray white & yellow, mask then add the red?  :shrug:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking forward to seeing this one come together. I`m pretty sure that one of these reached Malta from Vichy N.Africa,.... two set off in formation but only one made it,...... there was an ex Vichy  Latecoere in Malta too. The Loire was destroyed at its moorings by strafing.

 

Cheers

        Tony 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi again Pat,

 

i have had a Loire in my stash pretty much since Azur got it out, but I could only afford the non-tropicalised version, cheaper due to its smaller radiator!!! 

This has all the attributes of a tricky kit, assuming that getting everything properly aligned and squared off means anything to you! I have so far stayed well away from it, along with its mate the Latecoere 298.

Re the Vichy stripes, I would wholeheartedly agree with Sgt.Squarehead: white, then yellow, mask yellow and paint red straight over yellow. It has worked well for me in the past.

I would advise to paint the tail assembly separately before gluing it on the fuselage. That should make the masking horror more palatable.

 

I will sure follow your ordeal!

Have fun!!!

JR

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck with this 

Martin H

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great subject. I love seeing limited-production plastic kits being built.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A great choice Pat :thumbsup:

If you're minded to, you could try emailing Azur about the yellowed transparencies. I did this with Special Hobby recently and had replacements sent FOC (top marks to Special Hobby!).

Cliff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/10/2018 at 4:39 PM, CliffB said:

A great choice Pat :thumbsup:

If you're minded to, you could try emailing Azur about the yellowed transparencies. I did this with Special Hobby recently and had replacements sent FOC (top marks to Special Hobby!).

Cliff

Hi Cliff

I did get replacement transparencies from Special Hobby but seem to have managed to lose the completed cockpit section with seating.

I would imagine I would have put this in "a safe place" as it's  not in the box with the rest of the kit.

The trouble is I am at a complete loss as to where it could be !

If I can't find it I'll have to build something else instead. Which of course will trigger the discovery of the lost part !

cheers Pat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pat, am I glad to see that I am not the only Earthling who has faced the Curse of the Safe Place....This is plain Evil!!!

But you are right: in your case, the simple fact of grabbing a new kit and simply think of building it instead of the Loire (without forgetting the usual incantations to the Polystyrene Spirits) should see the missing cockpit reappear in a flash...

Failing that, write to Azur and tell them their kit was cockpit-less upon purchase...

 

Have fun, whatever you decide to do!

JR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 ne888888888888888888hbhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmbbHi Pat,

 

does your reacting to one of  my antediluvian post, mean that you are thinking of resuming the  build of this beautiful example of French axe carving?

It is worth it (says he!) and does this mean that you have found the safe place where the cockpit had been stored?

 

A happy New Year again to you and family, and a lot of esoteric models built in 2020!!!

JR

 

PS: The introduction is what happens when Squiggle the mongoose comes and tap dances on the keyboard...

Edited by jean

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...