Walrus crashes into bus shelter Azur Loire 130 C1 Colonial Flying Boat

This GB has really sneaked up on me.

This allow me a chance to finish a stalled build from MTO 1 see below

IMG_3059

IMG_3060

I haven't worked out the easy way of doing Vichy stripes so if you have done this without creating an orange mess, PLEASE let me know 

cheers Pat

• Like 8

That won't take but a moment to finish off Pat, you've done most of it.

:cwl:

Sooner you than me, mon frere. :ner:

Stripes - I'd be masking out for the whole area and laying down a coat of white. Then spray the red and mask what needs to stay red. Then (and I know that this is starting to build up the layers) more white then the yellow. Alternatively, one could (if one was positively deranged) spray white, mask off for just the red stripes, unmask, cover up the red and spray the yellow. Either way, it's a pile of effort and fiddly to boot.

A late thought -maybe some decal strips of the correct width? Possibly you'd have to spray and cut some blank sheet, but it would be doable, if still as fiddly as masking.

I agree with Rob G about the masking method. White base , red, mask the red. Rebase white then yellow. Its a pain, but will look fab when done.

As far as decals go I had mixed success with my A4 Skyhawk, but yellow decals on red worked well from a colour perspective, the failing was more my impatience and the numbr of decals that needed to conform to some complex shape.

8 hours ago, Rob G said:

That won't take but a moment to finish off Pat, you've done most of it.

:cwl:

Sooner you than me, mon frere. :ner:

Stripes - I'd be masking out for the whole area and laying down a coat of white. Then spray the red and mask what needs to stay red. Then (and I know that this is starting to build up the layers) more white then the yellow. Alternatively, one could (if one was positively deranged) spray white, mask off for just the red stripes, unmask, cover up the red and spray the yellow. Either way, it's a pile of effort and fiddly to boot.

A late thought -maybe some decal strips of the correct width? Possibly you'd have to spray and cut some blank sheet, but it would be doable, if still as fiddly as masking.

Thanks Rob

Nice to hear from you and thanks for the "striping tips"

1 hour ago, Yeoman1942 said:

I agree with Rob G about the masking method. White base , red, mask the red. Rebase white then yellow. Its a pain, but will look fab when done.

As far as decals go I had mixed success with my A4 Skyhawk, but yellow decals on red worked well from a colour perspective, the failing was more my impatience and the numbr of decals that needed to conform to some complex shape.

Thanks Yoeman

I will follow yours and Robs advice. 

I am a long way away from worrying about painting at the moment !

cheers Pat

• Like 1

Looking forward to seeing this one come together. I`m pretty sure that one of these reached Malta from Vichy N.Africa,.... two set off in formation but only one made it,...... there was an ex Vichy  Latecoere in Malta too. The Loire was destroyed at its moorings by strafing.

Cheers

Tony 

Hi again Pat,

i have had a Loire in my stash pretty much since Azur got it out, but I could only afford the non-tropicalised version, cheaper due to its smaller radiator!!! 

This has all the attributes of a tricky kit, assuming that getting everything properly aligned and squared off means anything to you! I have so far stayed well away from it, along with its mate the Latecoere 298.

Re the Vichy stripes, I would wholeheartedly agree with Sgt.Squarehead: white, then yellow, mask yellow and paint red straight over yellow. It has worked well for me in the past.

I would advise to paint the tail assembly separately before gluing it on the fuselage. That should make the masking horror more palatable.

I will sure follow your ordeal!

Have fun!!!

JR

• Like 1

A great choice Pat :thumbsup:

If you're minded to, you could try emailing Azur about the yellowed transparencies. I did this with Special Hobby recently and had replacements sent FOC (top marks to Special Hobby!).

Cliff

• Like 2

On 5/10/2018 at 4:39 PM, CliffB said:

A great choice Pat :thumbsup:

If you're minded to, you could try emailing Azur about the yellowed transparencies. I did this with Special Hobby recently and had replacements sent FOC (top marks to Special Hobby!).

Cliff

Hi Cliff

I did get replacement transparencies from Special Hobby but seem to have managed to lose the completed cockpit section with seating.

I would imagine I would have put this in "a safe place" as it's  not in the box with the rest of the kit.

The trouble is I am at a complete loss as to where it could be !

If I can't find it I'll have to build something else instead. Which of course will trigger the discovery of the lost part !

cheers Pat

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Pat, am I glad to see that I am not the only Earthling who has faced the Curse of the Safe Place....This is plain Evil!!!

But you are right: in your case, the simple fact of grabbing a new kit and simply think of building it instead of the Loire (without forgetting the usual incantations to the Polystyrene Spirits) should see the missing cockpit reappear in a flash...

Failing that, write to Azur and tell them their kit was cockpit-less upon purchase...

Have fun, whatever you decide to do!

JR

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

ne888888888888888888hbhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmbbHi Pat,

does your reacting to one of  my antediluvian post, mean that you are thinking of resuming the  build of this beautiful example of French axe carving?

It is worth it (says he!) and does this mean that you have found the safe place where the cockpit had been stored?

A happy New Year again to you and family, and a lot of esoteric models built in 2020!!!

JR

PS: The introduction is what happens when Squiggle the mongoose comes and tap dances on the keyboard...

Edited by jean
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 1 year later...

Hi @jean

Despite extensive search the cockpit remains elusive,  it must be in a really safe place !

I might have to scratch build one which of course will allow the original to reappear as soon as its replacement is completed  !

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1

Hi Pat,

as we all know, the past always catches up with us...

The Loire 130 curse is one of the most powerful and only used by a handful of illuminati at their risks and perils...

This is way above my pay grade!

Knowing that indeed the lost cockpit will reappear once a new one has been scratched, would you like me to send you some photos of the office, in the event none can be found at the Oban library?

Just let me know.

Plus you have the colonial (dirty word that, nowadays!), as I said you have the COLONIAL version, which will give you the pleasure of a bigger radiator!

If you managed to build the Late 298, this one will be a breeze. OK, almost a breeze. OK, it's going to be hell!!!!!

Have fun!

JR

• Haha 1

Cheers mate

It's really annoying as I was really looking forward to finishing this one.

You are definitely a bad influence,  my collection of French aircraft continues to grow !

I might have to share a few :wink:,  with my mate in Africa 

Cheers Pat 

11 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

You are definitely a bad influence,  my collection of French aircraft continues to grow !

I might have to share a few :wink:,  with my mate in Africa 

Bad influence is my middle name!

Prior to WW2, French aircraft, mainly because of the ineptitude of the powers that were, have always been in a class of their own.

Another proof that ridicule does not kill, except the ones who tried to fly them.

So you should be happy to be given such a chance to broaden your horizons.

As to your mate in Africa, anybody I may know?

Have a great, lazy day!

JR