On a trip last year to Fleet Air Arm, I had my first encounter with a Corsair, and quite an impressive encounter it is (the aircraft and all its history are very thought provoking). So having received this little kit for Christmas, I decided it was time to start building. That last sentence is slightly exaggerated as the kit is already assembled, well the fuselage and cockpit are any way.

IMG_20180502_195229

IMG_20180502_195333

The box contains 2 small sprues, plus the engine and cowling, prop, prebuilt fuselage and wings. There is a small decal sheet and instruction booklet. The cockpit has very little detailing, and panel lines are minimal, but I'm looking forward to the challenge.

• Like 8

The Corsair certainly is very charismatic, especially compared with the relatively dull Hellcat (I'll probably get shot down vy some Hellcat fan for saying that!). 

I'll follow this as I'm thinking of building a few of these HB kits when I get my airbrush later this year (tax refund allowing) for practice.

Andrew

• Like 2

Hello shellie !

A Corsair ?! What a very good idea !

Like my cousin, I will sit and look, there are plenty of aftermarket decals for that bird !

So you did get in Yeovilton ? My favourite place I must say !

Have a great modelling time.

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 6:37 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Might i be allowed to sit and follow :popcorn:. I am a certifiable Corsair nut. I am also getting into these H/B easy build kits. 

Well, certifiable anyway! Hee hee! Seriously, I have one of these and am trying to figure out how to graft the fuselage forward of the fuel tank and the belly fairing and oil cooler onto a Tamiya F4U-1A to make an early F4U-4, as there is NO decent kit in 1/72, despite Italeri and Revell attempting to do one! (Thanks for stopping short, Tamiya!)

Shellie- It's actually not a bad kit; you might want to either sand down or fill in between the depressions on the wings, top and bottom, as the fabric areas are grossly overdone. Get started!

Mike

Well, I am embarrassed! Didn't look carefully at the boxart on  Shellie's Corsair- I thought it was the Hobbyboss F4U-4, but it is actually the F4U-1! Sooo, disregard everything I said about the kit except the part about filling in or sanding down the overdone fabric areas on the wings CCFFU- how could you let me rant about a dash 4 knowing it was a dash 1? Tough crowd!

Shellie, if you're planning on putting rockets on your build, those pylons are NOT correct- there should be two small rectangular studs per rocket, not the one long pylon per rocket that come in the kit. The Corsair didn't carry rockets nearly as much in WW2 as Korea, but the Korean War Corsairs were all F4U-4's anyway. I have attached a link to the 1/32 Tamiya F4U-1D which is the same version as your Hobbyboss kit so you can see what the rockets and their mounting pylons should look like. You can click on each photo to see a larger image. You will need to fill the slots for the pylons that come on the lower wings of the Hobbyboss whether you decide to mount rockets or not.

http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/60327/index.htm

Edited by 72modeler
added additional information and link
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Andwil said:

The Corsair certainly is very charismatic, especially compared with the relatively dull Hellcat (I'll probably get shot down vy some Hellcat fan for saying that!). 

Quote from a Corsair pilot:

"I was a Marine and had little good to say about the Navy. I am certain that had the admirals been given the opportunity they would have stuck us with Hellcats or something worse."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It would be nice to try and do the model as the real machine appears in the FAA Museum. Not easy but very impressive if you can carry it off.

The Tempter of Mars 👽

• Like 2

Nice choice of plane! Seems like a pretty easy kit to assemble! :)

Håkan

• Like 1

First build update this morning: I began by attempting to paint the cockpit, (I say attempting as i found it tricky to get a brush into the prebuilt cockpit) there is little detail in there so I found some pictures on the net and added a little myself.

IMG_20180504_211704

The lighting is terrible and it's hard to see, but I have added an instrument panel and seat harness. I have also built the tailplane, and attached the wings to the fuselage.

IMG_20180504_211719

IMG_20180504_211726

Last night I decided to paint the engine and cowling insides, again this is fiddly. However with reference to photographs online I was happy with the job.

IMG_20180505_084037

I am planning on using the colour scheme from the instructions, but noticed online that a lot of corsair's had silver spinners.

2018-05-05_08-55-27

Although you can't see the front of the aircraft, this is the exact one on board USS Block Island, and what's more all photographs of Corsair's on the Vessel have silver spinners......so I'm going to break the rules and paint it silver.

IMG_20180505_084024

Finally I have attached the canopy, co once the cowling is attached I can mask and prime.

Edited by Shelliecool
  • Like 6

I am beginning to think I need this kit, Even I would find it hard to over complicate it, quiet @Ex-FAAWAFU!, and it would be a good canvas for some of the Corsair decals i seem to have accidentally acquired over the years.

Martian 👽

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

And we have some colour😀 I gave the build a coat of primer over the weekend (and decided to wait until it wasn't so warm to airbrush the top coat). I mixed up the colour using Revell blue and anthracite, and added thinner and flow improver (1:4). Tonight, with the temperature dropping I sprayed my first coat. I'm really happy with the mix (sprayed evenly and easily) and I'm happy with the first coat.

IMG_20180508_223644

IMG_20180508_223650

• Like 7

Second coat on tonight for the Corsair, and it sprayed beautifully. All down to the mix I believe, again 1 part paint, 4 parts thinner with a few drops of flow improver for good measure. Then a good mix up that Tom Cruise would have been proud of in Cocktail, and I sprayed away. Now drying, I can't wait for more tomorrow.

On 5/5/2018 at 3:59 AM, Shelliecool said:

First build update this morning: I began by attempting to paint the cockpit, (I say attempting as i found it tricky to get a brush into the prebuilt cockpit) there is little detail in there so I found some pictures on the net and added a little myself.

IMG_20180504_211704

The lighting is terrible and it's hard to see, but I have added an instrument panel and seat harness. I have also built the tailplane, and attached the wings to the fuselage.

IMG_20180504_211719

IMG_20180504_211726

Last night I decided to paint the engine and cowling insides, again this is fiddly. However with reference to photographs online I was happy with the job.

IMG_20180505_084037

I am planning on using the colour scheme from the instructions, but noticed online that a lot of corsair's had silver spinners.

2018-05-05_08-55-27

Although you can't see the front of the aircraft, this is the exact one on board USS Block Island, and what's more all photographs of Corsair's on the Vessel have silver spinners......so I'm going to break the rules and paint it silver.

IMG_20180505_084024

Finally I have attached the canopy, co once the cowling is attached I can mask and prime.

Hi Shelliecool,

I'd recommend the blue prop boss - the aircraft shown on Block Island was an early birdcage Corsair.  By the time the -1Ds (like your model) came around, most of the bosses were delivered in Glossy Sea Blue.

Looks like you're doing a great job, and sounds like you're enjoying the build.  Keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Dana

• Thanks 1

Since my last post I have airbrushed the wheels, prop and undercarriage doors, as well as building and painting the missiles. On my trip to IPMS Gloucester yesterday I had a long chat (and got great advice) from a from The Night Fighter S.I.G, whose builds looked stonking and included a beautiful Corsair, this inspired me, so last night I built the prop and attached the cowling.

IMG_20180514_184445

I am really enjoying this build, so much in fact that I purchased another easy kit from the show yesterday.

• Like 8

Having sealed the decals in I began assembling the undercarriage. This went together like a dream, as did the missiles. And so she is now awaiting a blast of satin varnish, antenna and she's done......I love this little kit.

IMG_20180521_170809

IMG_20180521_170817

• Like 3

This kit was my first attempt at airbrushing varnish (previously I'd been a bit uncertain about it for some reason) but a chat with some of the guys at the Gloucester show made me realise this was the only way to get the finish I really want. So on advice I purchased a small bottle of Vallejo satin varnish and thinner and sprayed an old (leat favourite of mine) build. Low and behold it worked🙊 So on that note I airbrushed the Corsair, and am so happy with the result.....here she is finished and ready for display, thanks for joining me.

IMG_20180527_095257

IMG_20180527_095317IMG_20180527_095330IMG_20180527_095352IMG_20180527_095410

• Like 4