RAF Phantom Differences

DAG058

I have recently added a Hasegawa 1/48 RAF Phantom F Mk.3 (F-4J UK) to my collection. The kit decals are pretty poor so I went on the hunt for an AM set. There is very little out there for this mark of RAF Phantom. However there is a good choice for both FG.1 and FGR.2 Phantoms, which got me thinking is a conversion possible. 

My knowledge of RAF Phantoms is pretty limited. How much of a difference is there between the F-4J and FG.1 & FGR.2s? 

Any advice is appreciated.

The F-4J was powered by General Electric J79s instead of Speys, so the engine intakes and rear fuselage would quite different, making conversion to a Spey Phantom quite a job.

Edited by JosephLalor
  • Like 2

My 2 pence worth-  If you have a (very nice) Hasegawa 1/48 F-4J build it as an F-4J! A conversion to F-4K or F-4M standard would be quite an undertaking involving major modifications to the fuselage, amongst other bits. 

Only one RAF unit, No 74 "Tiger" Squadron operated the J model, so limit your search to that Squadron for decals, alternatively get some aftermarket for a US Navy or Marine F-4J, of which there will be plenty. 

Xtradecal did a sheet for several 74 Sqn aircraft in 1/48th scale - if you google X48080 you may find a set for sale on a well known auction site. (They aren't mine I hasten to add! 🙂  )

• Like 1

The fuselage was wider. The intakes also. The rear fuselage was different and that's only the start. Nothing is impossible but it's close. In any case the closest US model would be the F4B but even that was quite different. If you want a Brit 1/48 Phantom Hasegawa/Revell did one.

Edited by noelh
  • Like 1

RAF Phantom F4J came into service around 1983 they were bought from the US but they were Ex US navy airframes that were brought out of storage from the bone yard. They were supposedly given a full inspection before released to the RAF, As has been stated the had J79 engines but the aircrew flew with us flying kit (we had them into Binbrook a few times).

I remember an article in Airclues (RAF flight safety mag) about a petrified lizard being found in one of the aircraft during rectification servicing months after delivery.

The reason for the purchase was to plug the gap in the UK air defence cover due to a number of Phantoms going south. Also they were painted in non RAF spec colours too 

Edited by tweeky
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, noelh said:

In any case the closest US model would be the F4B but even that was quite different. If you want a Brit 1/48 Phantom Hasegawa/Revell did one.

Maybe it's just a typo, but the K/M were based on the J airframe, with - as has been said - extensive mods especially to fit the Spey's. The B is strictly thin wing.

As the J(UK) served in ADUK, it ***could*** be possible that you may be able to use an aftermarket set for a 1/2 in air defence grey for the general markings, only having to use the squadron-specific stuff of the kit markings. In any case, I strongly recommend you obtain the Linewrights book on the Brit F-4s by the late Richard Ward, this will certainly be of enormous help re the intricacies of the finish (see Giorgio N's thread elsewhere). Aeroguide 25 is also an excellent reference.

• Like 1

Thank you all for the great help. Taking onboard everything that has been said, I have decided to keep it as a F-4J(UK). I managed to get some 74 Sqn decals. When I checked a few days ago there were none available online, perhaps this was good timing! 

• Like 3

Great choice doing the `J` in 74 stripes. 👍

Depending on which airframe you do, note that ZE350 did not have the RWR on the sides of the intakes like all the others and research which aircraft kept their original US shade of grey. The link below may be of some help.

• Like 4