AIRFIX 1/72 BRISTOL BLOODHOUND Mk1 SURFACE TO AIR MISSILE

In 1960 Airfix brought out a model of the Bristol-Ferranti Bloodhound Mk 1 radar-homing surface to air missile which was in service with the Royal Air Force.

The Bloodhounds were deployed in Squadrons of 32 missiles at bases down the eastern side of the UK. The Bloodhound Mark 1 required permanent fixed installations and were not mobile. Their bases were built usually on disused wartime airfields and were sited to protect V-bomber and Thor missiles bases from air attack. They were part of an integrated air defence system incorporating Early Warning Radar stations, Tactical Control Centres and trailer-mounted Missile Guidance Radar units.

They were in service from 1958 to 1964 after which they were replaced by the more powerful and mobile Bloodhound Mark 2.

resized_c28fc26a-1a54-400c-8c76-18c6df31

The permanent installations of the Bloodhound Mark 1 are shown in this photo of them protecting the Valiant base at RAF Marham. There were two batteries of 16 missiles each on each base with duplicated launch and power buildings, radar trailers and crew rest huts. The base also had a guardroom, offices, a technical site and hangar where missiles were serviced and a secure compound where spare missiles were kept, armed and refuelled.

d5a2706a-7ac0-47db-9260-0cef5226525a.jpg

The original 1960 paper header illustration.   " STOP, YOU CANNOT WALK YOUR DOG HERE........."

e35edeed-af1c-48b9-abbe-dd5fbcceb0e1.png

The white kit contained parts for a missile, launcher, trailer, Landrover, technicians, RAF Police and a dog. Wait a minute, do I see windscreen glazing on the Landrover ?

8961873d-9945-4b4c-89a7-98d56aec09a3.jpg

As can be seen in this Airfix catalogue advert the Landrover was a basic empty box with no glazing.   " WHO'S BLOODY DOG IS THIS ? " .........

17f202dd-2788-4df5-be63-64573a588808.jpg

The set later appeared in a box in Series 2. The illustration is wrong for the Bloodhound Mk1  in that it portrays the missiles as being mobile which only the later Bloodhound Mk2 was. There was also a mobile version built for the British Army called Thunderbird.

The scale of the kit was always shown as OO which is a railway modelling scale of about 1/76 scale. In fact the model is 1/72 scale.

ed5e2ba8-66b5-4234-bf36-321430be4af3.jpg

For my tenth birthday dad bought me the new Airfix Lockheed Hercules and to my surprise the kit contained a complete Bloodhound set.

This is the actual Bloodhound model that I will be showing here. It is the oldest model that I built which I still have.

6bf862b0-ebbc-4dc0-b464-45cfd4a90b65.jpg

resized_f76ee424-6455-4110-887b-c9490129

This catalogue photo reminds me of my attempts at loading the Bloodhound into my Hercules which had no nose weight and kept tipping up.

resized_d44dda03-5380-4b1e-a377-030e1891

My Bloodhound being towed to its launcher pad.

To be continued ...................

Edited by adey m
  • Like 43

Oh Yes Adey, nostalgia reigns.  I too had the bagged version, the boxed and the C130 version.  I really like the extra detail and paint finish on your Land Rover and missile - shows what can be done with an old moulding. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

• Like 1

Blimey, a blast from the past. Nice.

I too, got mine with the Hercules. Absolutely loved both kits.

And the Bloodhound still ranks as a favourite (it’s SO Thunderbirds!).

Graham

• Like 1

Oh boy! Does this take me back?  Great looking Bloodhound.  I got my mum to buy me the Hercules/Bloodhound kit for a birthday or something circa 1974 on the strict proviso that I finished and painted it (I never did).  One amusing memory I have is forcing my visiting grandad, who knew nothing about model aeroplanes and cared even less, to inspect the model which he promptly (accidentally) broke within seconds.  So surprised was he at a large piece of Hercules coming away in his hands that his false teeth immediately shot out!

I remember the Hercules seeming a very complex and detailed kit for the day, with the interior cargo area detail etc.  That great Roy Cross? artwork certainly made an impression on me too.  This has definitely inspired me to get a Bloodhound.  I'm sort of toying with the idea of doing a 'deterrent'  display with the three V-Bombers, Thor, Bloodhound and Beagle. 

• Thanks 1

Yours scrubbed up nice. The one I did when I was a kid is probably still offending the landfill worms with its awfulness. Very entertaining write-up as well.

BUT.

Is the dog lost!

• Haha 1

Goodness this takes me back. I can remember gazing in the window of our local model shop and wondering which kit to spend my pocket money on. In those days inspiration often came from The Victor Magazine especially " I flew with Braddock" or which ever film had been shown on Sunday afternoon. Angels One Five springs to mind and an Airfix 2 bob hurricane.

Lovely model and interesting comments.

Mike

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, GrahamS said:

Blimey, a blast from the past. Nice.

I too, got mine with the Hercules. Absolutely loved both kits.

And the Bloodhound still ranks as a favourite (it’s SO Thunderbirds!).

Graham

it’s SO Thunderbirds

It is funny that you should mention Thunderbirds Graham............. here is a British Army Bristol Thunderbird being transported

d9e49e71-a1bf-4b3b-971d-0cd9ac24b87a.jpg

" Come on, keep moving or a bloody traffic warden will be along soon ........"

regards,  adey

Edited by adey m
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

Oh boy! Does this take me back?  Great looking Bloodhound.  I got my mum to buy me the Hercules/Bloodhound kit for a birthday or something circa 1974 on the strict proviso that I finished and painted it (I never did).  One amusing memory I have is forcing my visiting grandad, who knew nothing about model aeroplanes and cared even less, to inspect the model which he promptly (accidentally) broke within seconds.  So surprised was he at a large piece of Hercules coming away in his hands that his false teeth immediately shot out!

I remember the Hercules seeming a very complex and detailed kit for the day, with the interior cargo area detail etc.  That great Roy Cross? artwork certainly made an impression on me too.  This has definitely inspired me to get a Bloodhound.  I'm sort of toying with the idea of doing a 'deterrent'  display with the three V-Bombers, Thor, Bloodhound and Beagle. 

Very amusing memories Meatbox. That deterrent display would be interesting........... and big. One of our club members is building a 1/72

Thor on its launching pad with blast walls, hangar, trailers, tanks and everything............it is so big he will need a table to himself.

Do you mean Beagle Basset or are we talking about the DOG again .....................

regards,  adey

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Harry_the_Spider said:

I remember my 10 year old self building a tail sitter Hercules.

Ten was a good age to tackle an Airfix Hercules Harry ............ahh the innocence of lost youth

adey

Edited by adey m

as promised we shall continue  ............

resized_db7c5386-7e5f-422b-bb47-6d2d7c40

The Bloodhound towed by a Landrover Series 1 arrives at the launch pads

feccef18-8f22-4308-b1c0-5a60ed2f60db.jpg

The trailer is unhooked from the Landrover on its launch pad. The trailer is painted with Humbrol Matt 96 RAF Blue. The missile is sprayed with my favourite white, Halfords Appliance White.

resized_226e6265-9a2e-4517-a99c-c3fb9dae

The missile is manhandled on its trailer towards its launcher.

resized_0a175647-7d14-4c3c-970a-62783fdc

I detailed the launcher after taking photos of a real one on display at the RAF Museum at Cosford. In the background is a scratchbuilt launcher plant unit.

resized_d5e9da69-64e6-41b6-9b3e-e461e948

Cables ran from the launch control building to each pad and terminated at the Cable Termination Pillar which is the grey box at the side of the pad next to the larger Launcher Plant Unit.

resized_10356282-4d66-48c3-af33-a7be50fc

A Valiant bomber taxies past in the background as the missile is readied for transferring to its launcher.

resized_d31c5df3-6104-4f2f-ae75-64ffa1cb

This is how it was done for real.

resized_9f98b40d-5025-47fb-987c-b7e2ef60

Missile on its launcher and trailer pushed clear.

resized_3b0dd3d3-40cc-48b3-87f1-b079a90a

RAF Whitecap on patrol. I think the dog has been rolling in the grass.

resized_44162212-59c0-44b1-85d3-51379042

resized_d24f13f5-5b93-4bba-9cb7-1db0f2c4

" Just pretend to be busy while he takes the picture and for gawds sake don't touch or pull on anything ............"

resized_f20cfb71-e2cd-476f-8cd2-08e897f2

resized_06545eaf-0a10-42a3-83c3-f3050c7e

resized_30145582-65a8-4f24-8425-862e41c2

85bc2b32-0d33-474d-a5e7-d8cddede2276.jpg

bab3785e-22b4-4911-bbba-b20bd8950726.jpg

resized_4f625c6d-b722-4e95-b819-2312a46d

resized_73b09055-b3dc-46e6-88d7-ffb324ac

1/144 CORGI Valiant taxies past in background

resized_91083e6d-b887-42a9-a8a4-765536b9

1/144 CORGI Valiant doing a low flypast

resized_35908c55-f4ad-4b34-b07e-854b8c2c

" Smith !  It's one of ours ........... "

resized_e02a2c86-3dcc-46df-96bd-ff52aaaa

The RAF Police and Landrover. The Landrover is painted with Humbrol Matt 157 Azure Blue.

resized_76a86da7-92fc-4774-8aed-e0be2675

A number of years ago I carefully prized off the Landrover roof and installed an interior. I then glazed the windows with clear accetate. I replaced the bumper and added the exhaust pipe and wing mirrors.

319ce040-dc7b-42cd-80fc-829316565864.jpg

I hope that is not a coolant leak

35d13e0d-ea07-444d-9446-6f16cf48f8b5.jpg

resized_56dda65b-66d2-45b5-990b-a1745b24

I built the launch pad from card and used information I obtained from visiting surviving Bloodhound pads at Breighton airfield.

resized_7ad6db79-33ee-4bc2-9f5b-9da46982

A photo I took of a Bloodhound pad at Breighton about 1983 showing the bolting points for the launcher. In the distance can be seen the power generator building on the left and the launch control building on the right with the small square window protected by a steel shutter.

resized_998f2b3f-d81a-47de-9d72-e43677bc

Here I am on my way to investigate a Launch Control building.

And finally ............. how our American Airfix friends illustrated their Bloodhound kit .................

a9fbe8c4-d903-4f28-88a8-aa1c064acac0.jpg

Jeez they've launched the missiles with their covers still on ...............and they've frightened the dogs ................

Hope you have enjoyed this

regards,  adey

Edited by adey m
  • Like 15

8 hours ago, adey m said:

And finally ............. how our American Airfix friends illustrated their Bloodhound kit .................

a9fbe8c4-d903-4f28-88a8-aa1c064acac0.jpg

Jeez they've launched the missiles with their covers still on ...............and they've frightened the dogs ................

Hope you have enjoyed this

regards,  adey

Look at those mountains. Are the Soviets attacking Wales?

Edited by John_W
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, John_W said:

Look at those mountains. Are the Soviets attacking Wales?

Yes John, they have even had to levitate the launchers to get some launch height  ................... but I am not sure what Mark of Landrover that is

cheers, adey

8 hours ago, cngaero said:

I really like your nostalgic builds and the Bloodhound is no exception.

Wonderful stuff Adey, please keep them coming.

Thank you Chris, how does an Airfix Sunderland with scratchbuilt interior sound ................

cheers,  adey

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, adey m said:

Thank you Chris, how does an Airfix Sunderland with scratchbuilt interior sound ................

cheers,  adey

That'll do nicely, very nicely indeed.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2018 at 7:17 PM, adey m said:

Very amusing memories Meatbox. That deterrent display would be interesting........... and big. One of our club members is building a 1/72

Thor on its launching pad with blast walls, hangar, trailers, tanks and everything............it is so big he will need a table to himself.

Do you mean Beagle Basset or are we talking about the DOG again .....................

regards,  adey

Good question Adey.  Hadn't thought about that.  I think it would have to be both although I don't suppose a Basset Hound guard dog would deter a really determined KGB saboteur!  Yes, a big display. Definitely one for the wide angle lens, especially now I've seen your Bloodhound launch pad. Based on that I'd imagine the Thor one would be massive.  Maybe I'll pose one on its trailer instead.  I might even add an Oxford Diecast Commer Commander or Standard Vanguard.  Your model displays are a real inspiration Adey.  Please post some more.

• Thanks 1

I have a 70s boxing of the Bloodhound.  I like that the box art is updated to a Series II Landie, though the plastic remained approximately series I.  

Would an SI Landie be capable of towing the trailer loaded with a missile?  Maybe it’s the RAF policeman’s one, taking the dog for a trip out?

cheers 

Will