On my recent trip to Milton Keynes model show, I picked up Revell's 1:72 BAe Hawk T.Mk1 for the bargain price of £3. My mum is a Red Arrows fan, and helped fuel my aircraft fascination as a child by taking us to airshows, so I thought I'd build the kit for her. So here goes.......

IMG_20180502_195433

IMG_20180502_195452

It's a pretty minimal looking kit, comprising of 2 red sprues, one clear and a small decal sheet. Detailing is at a minimum, but with any luck I can bring it to life and do it justice. This will be an out of the box build, although I have a crazy idea of attempting building a stand for it, which implies a blue smoke trail........time will tell.

• Like 8

Should be an interesting build. Might try a red arrows kit next so ill be keeping an eye on this.

21 minutes ago, Harry_the_Spider said:

A Red Arrow with Sidewinders 8-0

Are they expecting a hostile crowd?

Its to stop the other display teams getting any ideas:fight:

• Like 1

I'm in Shellie :popcorn:

Got your paint yet? When I did my Red Arrows build there was gossip... apparently the Arrows changed their colour and I painted one of them the wrong 'Red'.

Who knew? Not me for one...

Good luck with the transfers too - the underside ones are, er, interesting and the side stripe broke on mine. Luckily I had some white paint that matched :shutup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CedB said:

Got your paint yet? When I did my Red Arrows build there was gossip... apparently the Arrows changed their colour and I painted one of them the wrong 'Red'.

Good luck with the transfers too - the underside ones are, er, interesting and the side stripe broke on mine. Luckily I had some white paint that matched :shutup:

No I haven't got the red yet.........😬and I have to confess when I poked at the decals I thought they might be a nightmare......a lot of finger crossing and alcohol may be needed!

Thanks ,

Michelle.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The booze is an excellent plan but I would replace the finger crossing bit with an aftermarket decal sheet.

Martian 👽

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, CedB said:

Not sure what paint you prefer @Shelliecool but Humbrol do both the old (19) and new (238) reds in both acrylic and enamel

Trying to think if you could put the decals on before the flap hinges & other under wing parts as getting the decals to fit on a flat wing underside might be easier.  Years since we built a reds Hawk.  You can built red & white ones without the hassle though...

tgMMCqN_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

its 1/48 but I do have a black 1/72 one somewhere

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, 06/24 said:

Not sure what paint you prefer @Shelliecool but Humbrol do both the old (19) and new (238) reds in both acrylic and enamel

Thanks for that, I prefer to use Revell acrylics and may be able to find their alternative.

Thanks,

Michelle.

• Like 2

First build update today: since showing you all what's in the box, I have been busy. Firstly working on the cockpit, I used online references to get the feel of the cockpit, and (as there are no decals) painted the instrument panels myself.

2018-05-05_09-04-07

Having painted inside the fuselage, and once dry I fitted the cockpit into place and carefully joined the fuselage halves.

IMG_20180504_211637

This went ok, however they needed a little encouragement to stay together.

IMG_20180505_084048

I then added the tailplane, these slotted in easily but there is a slight gap where they join so a little filler will be needed here I think.

IMG_20180505_084055

Finally I have fitted the undercarriage doors into place.....not bad so far!

• Like 4

Nice one so far!

The Italeri kit (which is what this is) only provides a centreline gun pod, not the Red Arrows dye 'n' diesel item - would a spare Airfix one come in handy?

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Shelliecool said:

I then added the tailplane, these slotted in easily but there is a slight gap where they join so a little filler will be needed here I think.

Don’t do it Shellie!😧. The Hawk has all-moving tailplanes and there should be a slight gap between them and the fuselage sides (have a look at some of the Walkaround page photos).

As for the Revell paints either Ferrari Red or Fiery Red (sorry, haven’t got the numbers to hand) may well be your best bets.

I think Bar Side’s right about getting the underside markings on before the flap hinge fairings, but you might want to use PVA/white glue to avoid any risk of marring your markings.

Looking good so far, crack on!

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Hook said:

Nice one so far!

The Italeri kit (which is what this is) only provides a centreline gun pod, not the Red Arrows dye 'n' diesel item - would a spare Airfix one come in handy?

Cheers,

Andre

Yes it probably would, I didn't know this was a rebox🤔 thank you.

Looking good there Shelliecool! Good luck with that seam. I'm looking forward to more.  I have this kit in my ministash and will be building it soon, but will be an armed Red Arrow. I used to have a poster on my wall a kid with an Red Arrow carrying dual Sidewinders and the 30mm Aden cannon.  :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Edited by Dazzio
  • Thanks 1

Watch the join around the panel behind the cockpit too.  I always think it fits well until it’s primed & then it stands out.  Same goes for the joint behind the intakes.   Tend to go for liquid green stuff to brush on to the seam & sand back.  Easy to work with & doesn’t smell bad!

• Like 1

2018-05-10_10-03-04

It could be said that my work bench tonight resembles the beginnings of a horror film, and that is all thanks to the Hawk! Yesterday I sanded the seams again with my sanding file, and tonight began the task of airbrushing the red.....again! It went on ok...after a lot of mixing and remixing, she's now in my model cupboard drying. We shall see what tomorrow brings.

• Like 2

Great work so far on this!

Yeah, white décor underside -- it would be handy to get them on before the flap pylons, if you can work out a sequence of action.

Because the wings need painting, and so do the pylons.

And attached too.

So it's a bit of a H ead-scratcher.

• Thanks 1

Just back from IPMS Gloucester (with yet more kits😬storage is becoming a bit of a concern), and continuing with the Hawk build. Finally happy with the red, I am now masking up to airbrush the white stripes (I decided against the decals).

2018-05-13_02-23-13

• Like 7