Airfix P-51 'My Achin' Back'

Hello all

Here's the Airfix P-51 wearing markings for the 334th Fighter Squadron, 4th Fighter Group in 1945. I really wanted to do this one for the name and nose-art, which I obtained from Kits World. I thought I'd also add a shot of it with my earlier 354th FG example. Eighth and Ninth Air Forces combined!

Not much needs to be said about this kit, other than the aerial is of course unusable and was replaced from scrap plastic, and the control column also broke. I added some etch seat belts to liven up the cockpit a bit. I used AK Interactive Aluminium for the main NMF and mixed the OD and red using Tamiya paints. Weathering was done with various oil washes.

Thanks for looking and all comments very welcome.

fiKw2Xhh.jpg

IC5oojqh.jpg

pbnjxy1h.jpg

DGzBb0Yh.jpg

hPN6PEGh.jpg

R1LTDHSh.jpg

TC68kBYh.jpg

• Like 55

13 minutes ago, Buzby061 said:

Very nice indeed.

What scale is it?

Pete

Thanks Pete

Sorry, forgot that bit - it's 1/72.

Ian

• Like 1

Looks fantastic!

The Kitsworld decals are a godsend for those of us who like a different subject than what's in the box.

I have used them on a couple of bomber projects and they do behave pretty well in the application.

Your oil paint washes have worked particularly well too.

:goodjob:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kapam said:

Looks fantastic!

The Kitsworld decals are a godsend for those of us who like a different subject than what's in the box.

I have used them on a couple of bomber projects and they do behave pretty well in the application.

Your oil paint washes have worked particularly well too.

:goodjob:

Thanks. Yes it's the first time I've used their decals. A bit expensive where I am but very good quality and as you say, no problems using them. I've got my eye on a set for the Airfix B-17 that awaits.

Did you do anything with the landing gear legs?

On the kit i had, they looked really weedy and the plastic was very bendy and weak. I

I wonder if I just had a badly moulded example?

Edited by SoftScience
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, SoftScience said:

Did you do anything with the landing gear legs?

On the kit i had, they looked really weedy and the plastic was very bendy and weak. I

I wonder if I just had a badly moulded example?

No, mine were the same. I just heated them in hot water and gently bent them back to shape. I think most examples of this kit share the problem.

• Thanks 1

Ah, the QP-D with the red contoured nose, but the FT-L with that cool eagle... I can't decide (again) which model I like best. Very good!

Edited by Convair
  • Like 1

Very nicely finished P-51's. Love the finish on both. I have an Airfix Mustang in the stash and it certainly looks like it could be a treat to build. I'll be very pleased if I can come even close to what you have done!

Well done!

Terry

• Like 1