1/72 - Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIa & IIb (Hasegawa plastic) by Fly - released

Homebee

Fly is to release a 1/72nd  Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIa kit - ref. 72043

Reported not to be a new tool kit but a Hasegawa repop.

Source: http://www.72news.eu/2018/05/fly-hawker-hurricane-mkii-boxart.html

fly72043.jpg

fly72043_1.jpg

There will be additional resin parts: wheels and a prop as well as a set of paint masks.

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/YLF72043

YLF72043_2.jpg?t=

V.P.

MattMemory2.jpg&key=454549e46694cda5ab5f

Edited by Homebee

I believe without chopping it about, it can only be a mk.ii. They tried to vary the length by supplying separate Cowlings, but the difference is actually in the fuselage. The fuselage supplied is one for a Mk.II.

John.

Unfortunately, there is no really good 1/72 scale kit of the Mk.II Hurricanes. The Hasegawa kits may be the best of a mediocre bunch, although the AZ Models short run kits may be a close second. It appears that the resin bits will fix the biggest issue  with the Hasegawa Mk.II, which was the prop blades and spinner. The resin wheels and seat look like a big improvement over the kit items as well. For my money the best 1/72 Hurricane kit of any mark is the Airfix rag-wing Mk.I. It would be nice if they did a Mk.II to the same or better standard as well (the Mk.II they released a few years ago is really quite terrible).

Edited by VMA131Marine

I don't have the AZ Mk.II, but their Mk.IV is pretty good so I'd expect it to be matched.  It does need a replacement canopy.

The other point worth checking on Hurricane kits is that the Mk.I has a radiator with a smaller more elliptical intake.  The Mk.II's is deeper.

1 hour ago, VMA131Marine said:

Unfortunately, there is no really good 1/72 scale kit of the Mk.II Hurricanes. The Hasegawa kits may be the best of a mediocre bunch, although the AZ Models short run kits may be a close second. It appears that the resin bits will fix the biggest issue  with the Hasegawa Mk.II, which was the prop blades and spinner. The resin wheels and seat look like a big improvement over the kit items as well. For my money the best 1/72 Hurricane kit of any mark is the Airfix rag-wing Mk.I. It would be nice if they did a Mk.II to the same or better standard as well (the Mk.II they released a few years ago is really quite terrible).

Hi Russ

The AZ kit is better than the hase kit,. The IIc is better than the IV as is the correct wheel well, the fabric is much better as well.

The rag wing Airfix is decent, but has a fair few faults.

A "lost" kit is the Heller IIc, the wing shape is off, but fixable, as is the nose, it's worth the bother as it has really good fabric, assuming a rescribe works, yes, another part done project in box.

But, yes, an Hurricane to the same standard of say an Eduard Spitfire would be a boon! Both 72nd and 48th please.

I'm on a tablet, so I'm finding typing tricky!

Cheers

T

29 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

Hi Russ

The AZ kit is better than the hase kit,. The IIc is better than the IV as is the correct wheel well, the fabric is much better as well.

The rag wing Airfix is decent, but has a fair few faults.

A "lost" kit is the Heller IIc, the wing shape is off, but fixable, as is the nose, it's worth the bother as it has really good fabric, assuming a rescribe works, yes, another part done project in box.

But, yes, an Hurricane to the same standard of say an Eduard Spitfire would be a boon! Both 72nd and 48th please.

I'm on a tablet, so I'm finding typing tricky!

Cheers

T

The Heller fuselage always struck me as being too narrow. It's not as undernourished as the Academy kit, but still looks like a Hurricane that's been put on a diet.

1 hour ago, VMA131Marine said:

The Heller fuselage always struck me as being too narrow. It's not as undernourished as the Academy kit, but still looks like a Hurricane that's been put on a diet.

A point to check when I find it! The nose is to thin over the top, but that's a common fault on older Hurricane kits, including the old Airfix Mk.I

20 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

The nose is to thin over the top, but that's a common fault on older Hurricane kits, including the old Airfix Mk.I

Graham Boak has a fix for that: a vertical cut downwards along the 'nose ring' panel line just in front of the exhausts, glue that forward part to preserve the circular section, wedge the cowling behind it until it's wide enough, fill the gap and smooth.

John.

On 4/5/2018 at 08:11, Homebee said:

And another boxing - Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIb -  ref. 72044

Sources: 

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/YLF72044

http://www.72news.eu/2018/05/fly-hawker-hurricane-mk-ii-b-exhase.html

YLF72044.jpg?t=1525937715

V.P.

Fly really need to get better markings researchers, (their 1/32 IIc has schemes based on profiles that no-one has seen photos of, but profiles of which abound)

AG244 is a Canadian built Mk.X,   there is a Mk.XII warbird in these markings, but the original look to be a standard Mk.X (ie Mk.I) 

BG707 does not have a non-standard scheme,  lost of silly profiles, but the photo in Hurricane at War 2 shows standard desert colours with fading and overpainting IIRC (book not to hand) but not some non-standard scheme.

Not sure about the SAAF trainer colours repaint either,  got to say I'm dubious about this, given the poor research on the others.

FWIW, IMO, if you stuff up the fabric on Hurricane kit,  fixing it become such a chore then it makes the kit junk.  The Hase fuselage is salvageable I think.

Other are not,  the Academy IIc and Revell IIb/IIc make serious errors in the way the fabric is laid out.

Sadly at the moment there are 3 categories of 1/72nd Hurricanes.

1- very poor, where gross shape errors make them cartoons,  things like the 60's era Revell Mk.I, (mentioned as being commonly available) recent Airfix Mk.II and some other old kits, Aoshima, Airfix Mk.IV

2- detail and smaller shape errors,  with poor fabric, so reasonable shelf kits,  the Revell Mk.II kits, Academy IIc, and some older kits, like the Matchbox and Frog kits. The early 70's Airfix Mk.I/II is decent shapewise apart from being too shallow a spine behind cockpit, and the battleship rivets.

3- accurate with work,  with salvageable fabric,  which are the Hase kits, Airfix Mk.I old tool, fabric wing Mk.I,  Heller IIc, Sword fabric wing, AZ family.

The best of these are the AZ IIC,  and the Airfix fabric wing,  this sadly really needs a new canopy as the kit one is too high, and new wheels, as apart from being 4 spoke, they are too big (try putting the wheels through the wing opening, they don't fit...) and the fabric behind the gun bays.  It has other harder to correct errors but these are less noticeable in 72nd,  (shame they got scaled up to 1/48th.)

the AZ IIc needs trimming and shimming,  and a weird line trimming off the fabric but IIRC nothing else too horrible (away from kits to double check)

Shame they have not done a A/B wing kit. at this point it occurs that maybe @Jan Polc  notification would perhaps be of use, as suggestion.

At least now the Hase kit is going to be available in another box.   

I know I know, i keep banging on about these kits and problems,  but as I have said before...if it was a Spitfire kit....  

• Like 1

Hi gentlemen,

AZ will re-release Hurricane IV in June. With the new canopy as in the previous release it was a little bit poor.

As we have a lot of work with this year 100 years celeb of Czechoslovak aviation, I do not think we can do IIA and IIB. 

We have to finish L-159 Alca and Aero 304 and also we would like to do something special for Telford show. (Who knows, please keep the type in quiet, it is a secret today)

Maybe that 2019 will be more friendly to Hurricane, as there are some plans to release IIC again, so maybe the new wings can come.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Jan Polc said:

With the new canopy as in the previous release it was a little bit poor.

Will those of us with older AZ/Legato Hurricanes be able to purchase the canopy separately? Also, this is a good candidate for a canopy mask set, hint, hint.

• Haha 1

Procopius - why I was waiting this reaction as the first one? 🙂 In fact I do not know it depends on many factors. But I expect that yes, it will be available separately.

So there is no need to write to us that your dog has eaten it..., your kid lost it in the school etc. 🙂

• Haha 5