Not much to show this time, but I've added the lens to the search light and glazed it with Clearfix

resized_5fcd9b06-ce24-40fe-ba80-8178bd55

I added the siren platform and two sirens to the aft funnel

resized_d0f76bb9-d6c3-4ae4-8ddd-a2d14363

And I made a small modification to the Brazilian bridge to accommodate the coincidence range finder that HMS Imperial had. This amounted to very minor choppy choppy on the resin bridge, two razor saw cuts on the resin range finger piece, and a piece of suitable diameter plastic sprue cut to length then sawn in half length-ways to make a semi-circular section. The plans and photographs I can find aren't 100% clear here, so I have interpreted what can be seen as best as I can.

resized_b932d2a4-4756-496c-a82f-7a1d26e5

I think the most startling aspect of these three photographs taken with the same phone camera as all the above, but indoors at twilight under the phone's flash, is that one should not choose any old random paint colours on a "that looks about right" basis (particularly without any real knowledge of what "right" actually looks like) under artificial light. These images look completely different to the previous post's images taken with the same camera outdoors in the sun light. Whoever first said "cameras never lie" was a fool. Cameras are pathological liars!

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

So much detail on such a small piece 😨

Now fess up did you build that or did you get the missus to do it ;)

Either way it looks stunning I just keep looking at mine and break out into a cold sweat 😓 

beefy 

• Haha 3

On 6/2/2018 at 2:20 PM, beefy66 said:

So much detail on such a small piece 😨

Now fess up did you build that or did you get the missus to do it ;)

Either way it looks stunning I just keep looking at mine and break out into a cold sweat 😓 

beefy 

I'm with Beefy on this.:clap2: 

Super progress

Rob

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks!

Imperial had to take a bit of a break. Those with a common interest may have noted I've been very busy with work of late, but, I made some time for myself yesterday after replacing the washing machine drum...

I got the other Vickers gun assembled then the pair painted and mounted on the gun platform:
resized_a3286247-bfdb-4695-af02-a64f43ae

resized_4763658c-b60b-45b7-85a1-d6be5bd2

resized_feefdd27-2185-416b-8070-1e565f0c

I really do love those little Tetra Model Works guns and am very pleased they have finally released the Pom Poms in a similar fashion.

resized_5417f125-9dd2-4890-997a-b3ce5266

Tonight I added some railings and ladders to the bridge. There are still semaphores and some pipes to add, but that section is close to done now.

resized_fc4e8057-e754-4c8b-8528-33179f97

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

I really do love those little Tetra Model Works guns and am very pleased they have finally released the Pom Poms in a similar fashion.

They do the Pom Pom now  😱 😵

I need to go and lie down now  :doh:

beefy

• Haha 1

Gawd them little things look stunning! Wonder what their 1/700 stuff is like to work on?

Really great work Jamie she's coming along nicely. 

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

I haven't tried their 1/700 products yet but Gill plans to have a go at the Queen Elizabeth set soon. That looks very nice.

I have made the pole foremast and tripod mainmast up. These need painted before fitting.

resized_5e28d3a0-6436-46a9-a577-0e26144e

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I seem to have lost a few pieces! Argh... I'm sure they will turn up and I can add them later (just some depth charges).

Tonight I added the ship's boats, their davits, a little frame at the stern and permanently glued the masts on. There are a couple of davits for paravanes to go at the stern, and I want to get better paravanes themselves as the metal ones are a bit, well, clunky. Still, with the handrailing added and remaining ladders plus anchors, chain and some rigging, this will look fairly ship-shape. I could do with some crew, and shall probably get some from Northstar. I have some spare binoculars and stuff from l'Arsenal I can busy-up the open bridge with. The end appears to be in sight!

resized_4dc1b265-1beb-4221-919c-8583ff98

resized_724624f1-7b32-44e1-a06a-56032c8a

• Like 10

Thanks Rob. It definitely works better outside on a bright day. It looks a bit weird indoors like this but having said that 507C in general looks a bit dull compared to the mental image of it - because it was almost always used under a baking hot sun!

I hope to get this done and photographed before the end of summer weather and before Scotland reverts to Scapa Flow type prevailing lighting conditions! :D

It is, but I was aiming for something Crete-ish. I maybe overdid it a bit. I've never been to Crete to be honest, but have been to Cyprus once and the Caribbean 4 times and what always strikes me is the brilliance of all the colours in the natural world, probably thanks to the stronger sunlight.

greece-crete-chania-mediterranean-sea-li

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

It is, but I was aiming for something Crete-ish. I maybe overdid it a bit. I've never been to Crete to be honest, but have been to Cyprus once and the Caribbean 4 times and what always strikes me is the brilliance of all the colours in the natural world, probably thanks to the stronger sunlight.

greece-crete-chania-mediterranean-sea-li

Ah - forgive me; I’d missed the Crete reference.  My eyes are probably calibrated by 20 years of the Atlantic (mostly dark grey, at best) and North Sea (a lot of it brown or green).  I did spend time in the warmer parts, but somehow my memory defaults to slate grey sea under leaden skies with a squall inbound - can’t think why!

On the other hand, what was I thinking?  This is Jamie, the man who has done all that impressive research on RN schemes.  He’a hardly likely to have justlumped on some blue and hoped for the best!

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I think we're on the home straight with this now. I'll start the rigging next - there's a surprising amount of it for a small ship. Then there are a few tiny little bits here and there to be added. Some PE touchups will inevitably be needed...

resized_22567c00-4387-47c7-b30a-ba11d354

resized_d3467543-c0bd-4747-a140-b865c74b

resized_e6353a58-1488-429f-b999-566d40eb

resized_daa12e36-59a1-4d0c-90d2-3942fe5e

resized_bb41be24-2ca9-4c1f-b941-761abd2f

• Like 11

Thank you for looking in and taking the time Gentlemen :)

I should have noted that the straps securing the boats from swinging around are made from paper and were taught. I gave the sea a wash down as it was collecting some dust, but got the straps wet. I hope the shrink again when it dries out!