1/72 - Antonov An-225 Mriya/"Cossack" by Modelsvit - released - Ltd. edition with Buran!

Homebee

Modelsvit is testing the 1/72nd Antonov An-225 Mriya/"Cossack" kit concept. 😉

Source: https://www.facebook.com/modelsvit/photos/a.1859368940998815.1073741830.1854784001457309/2094262810842759/?type=3&theater

Does anybody expect 1/72 Antonov An-225 from us?
Should we do it? What price you could afford?

imageproxy.jpg

V.P.

MattMemory2.jpg&key=454549e46694cda5ab5f

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

It would be so good, bit sad that they are asking if we want it though as a possible chance it might not get done... but understandable given the size and costs involved. 

It won't be cheap, look at the An-124....funny seeing some of the comments, "Around 70€ is a good price", dream on....!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, pdsvidioman said:

Does it come with a medium garage to put it in ?  null Paul

No ..... but I already have FIVE 1/72 scale tanks (T-72 & T-80) to display in front of it.

They were used as 'self-loading weights' during testing and record-breaking - that's a payload of 250 tonnes !

Ken

• Like 3

Well, this would be fantastic.... personally, I'd love one but understandably the cost would be up there with the big HpH resins....plus shelf space and portability would definitely be factors in acquiring the beast. The 124's big enough, this thing would be monstrous!

As much as I would love to see this happen, it wouldn't be for me. 1/144 is already going to be big enough. That is if the announced kit from Revell ends up being released.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Radleigh said:

It would be so good, bit sad that they are asking if we want it though as a possible chance it might not get done... but understandable given the size and costs involved. 

It won't be cheap, look at the An-124....funny seeing some of the comments, "Around 70€ is a good price", dream on....!

Well, 70 Euros would be an EXCEPTIONALLY good price!!null.I think it it's perfectly reasonable that they test the water like this as, affordability is going to be very important. For some customers, 70 Euros may genuinely be the limit of their price range so, we should respect that.

Realistically though, given that Revell kit will retail around the £80 mark, I would expect a 1/72 kit to retail for about twice that or, even more. I would not personally pay that for ANY kit, no matter how much I want it. Modelsvit will of course have a very difficult balancing act to perform - namely setting a price high enough to cover their investment yet low enough to attract enough sales to generate a profit. Not an easy task.

Size is not something that really worries me. I have a 1/72 B-36 Peacemaker which, although smaller, is in the same sort of size league. If I can accommodate that, I can accommodate a 225 but, as I would never be able afford one, the point is moot. Good luck to them if they do go ahead. I just wonder though if any enthusiasm for such a kit will evaporate when the price is announced. Remember the initial enthusiasm for the Roden C-5B. That melted away like snow in summer when the price was announced.

Allan

ps - be nice if Revell could reissue their An -124 kit to go with the 225!

Edited by Albeback52

I totally respect that people may not be able to afford more than 70 Euros, but wishing 70 Euros to be a good price for this kit is wishful thinking. I would have two at that price just because I could. Really hope it gets released, I really do.... to have the An-22, An-124 and a An-225 in my collection would be splendid.

I just wonder though if any enthusiasm for such a kit will evaporate when the price is announced. Remember the initial enthusiasm for the Roden C-5B. That melted away like snow in summer when the price was announced.

Good point Allan but there's obviously a market, (admittedly limited) for these giants as the Modelsvit An-124 and Il-86 are often sold out and as far as I'm aware the HpH XB-70 and B-36's also have full order books, (I'm sure the monstrous B-52, at a wallet-busting £700 will go the same way). It's all down to what you're after, how much you want it and how deep your pockets are.

The An-124's RRP is £442, the Tu-144 £400 and the Il-86 £429 and although you can get them cheaper if you shop around I'd still expect the An-225 to retail around the £500 mark...

Edited by general melchett

I think I paid £280 for my An-124 from HobbyTerra, about the same for the IL-86... so you can get them a lot cheaper. Hate to think what the 225 will come in at, even at it's cheapest price 🤔

19 hours ago, Radleigh said:

I totally respect that people may not be able to afford more than 70 Euros, but wishing 70 Euros to be a good price for this kit is wishful thinking. I would have two at that price just because I could. Really hope it gets released, I really do.... to have the An-22, An-124 and a An-225 in my collection would be splendid.

nullEven a tightwad like me recognises that 70 Euros  (£62) is a bit hopeful - especially as the forthcoming Revell kit will retail for nearly £90 and, that's for a 1/144 kit!! I won't personally pay £90 for any 1/144 kit but. the price will probably drop over time so, I can wait! I remain to be convinced though that there is much of a market for what will be a huge (and hugely expensive!) kit although I do commend Modelsvit for proposing it!

The point about the An-22 and An -124 is a good one. Personally, I'd like to have seen Revell reissue their excellent An -124. The Eastern Express An-22 is unfortunately currently unaffordable but, it remains on my wish list!! 

Allan

• 1 month later...

what a waste of resources. that 225 in my mind is just big, thats it. its a borring big thing that will cost a fortune, i would be more pleased for a TU-154 in 72 scale.  but as usual there are other people thinking different, and modelsvit counts on an majority, not a single opinion.

• Like 1

Count me in as one of the idiots who also wants one, Radders. I don't know when I'd be able to afford one, I don't have a place to put it (other than my storage unit), and I don't know when I'd ever build it. But I still want one. I got to see the actual aeroplane flying over Houston, Texas on its way from the NASA field at Ellington (formerly Ellington Air Force Base) to Bush Intercontinental Airport. Unbelievably huge; I was running around the office where I was working at the time, telling everybody the world's biggest aircraft was flying past. No doubt they all thought me quite mad. Not far from the truth I suppose...

Best Regards,

Jason

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Confirmed for release in 2019

https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2220826808186358&id=1854784001457309

Dear friends,
Thank you for sharing your ideas, comments and remarks!

1/72 An-225 release is scheduled for 2019.
That will be a monster....

(Image bellow has only illustrating purpose, not to be considered as 3D render)

V.P.
Edited by Homebee
  • Like 2

Very tempted by this even though I have yet to finish the An-124 (and Tu-144 and Il-86) 

One concern from the rendering is the new centre section which seems a bit too deep. Most frontal shots on airliners.net seem to show a horizontal line between the new inboard engines.  Perhaps its just the angle.

Cheers 

Howard