[Best 1/72 Ju 87B-2/R-2]: Any definitive advantage of Airfix vs. Fujimi?

Aesthete

More specifically: 

if the objective is to have ‘one and only’ and the most accurate Ju 87B-2/R-2 in 1/72, and one already has Fujimi kit with all related after-market stuff for interior and exterior, would there still be a reason to replace it with the new Airfix kit? 

The main (if not only) criteria is accuracy/shape. The B-1 version (from which only Airfix is reported to be correct) is NOT of interest.

TIA for any input.

I would (personally) not replace them if you already have a number of Fujimis in your stash. They look the part and any accuracy issues are probably minor. Surface detail is better than the Airfix, and Academy too.

Thanks everyone for the info.

AFAIK, Fujimi has been considered the best 1/72 Stuka (at least for the B-version)  until the latest Airfix release, so that I don't believe that it makes sense to discuss further alternatives here, in particular that the question is not which kit to buy, but rather if it really makes sense to replace what I already have, and from my point of view it would only worth the trouble, if Airfix could be built more or less OOB without any corrections (both in terms of shape issues or crude parts), and Fujimi would have some problem area(s), which would require some considerable effort to be addressed. Perhaps someone has managed to compare both of them in detail? 

3 hours ago, Aesthete said:

Thanks everyone for the info.

AFAIK, Fujimi has been considered the best 1/72 Stuka (at least for the B-version)  until the latest Airfix release, so that I don't believe that it makes sense to discuss further alternatives here, in particular that the question is not which kit to buy, but rather if it really makes sense to replace what I already have, and from my point of view it would only worth the trouble, if Airfix could be built more or less OOB without any corrections (both in terms of shape issues or crude parts), and Fujimi would have some problem area(s), which would require some considerable effort to be addressed. Perhaps someone has managed to compare both of them in detail? 

I have both kits and took a quick look. What Chuck said, plus: The Airfix kit has the recessed area in the belly where the centerline bomb is carried- Fujimi has it as a smooth section; Airfix kit has much better cockpit detail, with sidewall details, which the Fujimi kit lacks; Airfix kit has the ailerons and flaps molded separately from the wings- Fujimi has them molded as part of the lower wing assembly and the linkages are solid wedges; Airfix has the intake and exit of the oil cooler assembly open- On the Fujimi kit, the exit is solid with no opening. Panel line width and depth on the Fujimi kit is much better, but are  also so fine that if you are one of those types who puts on primer, paint, and then a pre and post decal clearcoat, they might disappear. I have the Fujimi B-1/R, both D's and both G's, but bought the Airfix B-1 and B-2/R kits as they are more detailed, and Eduard had zoom etched sets for them. I guess if you already had cockpit or etched sets for the Fujimi kits, which would be before the pre-painted era, none of the other weaknesses are difficult to correct with some cutting and plasticard, and if you put the centerline bomb in place, the lack of the recessed area would not really be noticeable, and you can cut out the opening for the sighting window and use a clear piece or Krystal Clear, or use a decal to indicate it, like the airliner modelers do,  although you would want to make an opening in the front cockpit floor to mark its location. Unless Airfix sees fit to do a D and/or G. I intend to stick with my Fujimi D's and G's and my Academy G, which is also a very good kit. Hope this helps!

Mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Can't argue with what others have said above.  However:

• the Airfix kit is rather softly moulded: there is a tedious amount of trimming off seams, truing up angles, etc.  The Fujimi kits are sharply moulded in hard plastic and, as far as I can remember, completely flash-free.
  • while the cockpit interior on the Airfix kit has massively more detail, the question is how much of it will be visible when the cockpit framing is added.  I'll let you know when I finish mine.

So basically it comes down to greater levels of detail and in some respects accuracy versus a quick and stress-free build.  Your choice.

Edited by Seahawk
  • Like 1

Although I’m not a big Stuka fan and thus “don’t have a dog in the fight” as we say here in Tennessee, you might be interested in this superb build of the Airfix kit by Japanese master modeler Jumpei Temma:

http://www.geocities.jp/yoyuso/ju87/ju87.html

There’s a minimum of English, but it’s very well illustrated. As you can see, he was rather critical of certain aspects of the kit’s accuracy, especially the cross-section shape of the rear fuselage. Then again, he obviously chose this kit over Fujimi to begin with!

On 05/05/2018 at 17:34, Chuck1945 said:

The Airfix kit is the only 1/72 Ju 87 offering with the downward  clear vision panel for the pilot

Nope, Zvezda B-2 has that one too. It´s a very nice kit and should not be overlooked if one is shopping for a Stuka. V-P