Avon Sabre Conversion 1/72 - Complete!

After a long slog and some good encouragement from the BM community, I'm pleased to say the Avon Sabre is complete.

This aircraft represents CAC Sabre Mk 32 A94-946 from the Aircraft R&D Unit at RAAF Laverton circa 1960.

Main contributors were:

A very old Hasegawa F-86

The Tasman limited run fuselage conversion for the CAC Avon version

Scratch build missile pylons and U/C legs.

Internal wheel wells were recast from CMK 7271 resin set (duplicated for future sabre projects)

Pavla resin cockpit and wheels PAVC72099 and PAVU72126

Albion Alloys (30mm cannon tubes)

Model Alliance CAC F-86 Sabres in RAAF service MA-72125

Alclad paints for the airframe, and Revell dayglo orange/red.

I found the Model alliance decals a little disappointing as they didn't adhere too well even with various decal alchemy solutions.

Comments, constructive criticism and questions welcome!

20180502_17183420180502_17181720180502_17182620180503_09285120180503_09285920180503_09291620180503_09293220180503_09293720180503_09300420180503_09302220180503_09303120180503_09305320180503_09311120180503_09313820180503_09314520180503_093154

I can resume work on the Sedbergh now, and the third Sabre, an Airfix F-86....

Terry

Edited by Terry1954
  • Like 36

Some further pics showing her head to head with her older American cousin, RFI for the H is here

20180503_09324720180503_09331920180503_093212

Edited by Terry1954
  • Like 16

Hello Terry,

Very good Avon Sabre ! Nice job in repairing and finishing that kit

Very interesting WiP too ! You did great !

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Terry,

Very good Avon Sabre ! Nice job in repairing and finishing that kit

Very interesting WiP too ! You did great !

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks CC. Yes the repair work caused a little stress, but calmness and step by step approach always helps.

Terry

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Two lovely silver swords Terry, great work on both! The H looks massive in that first head to head shot!

Cracking little jets!

Keith

Thanks Keith. The H does look bigger. I did the head to head shot to show that. It did have a much deeper fuselage, even than the CAC Avon version.

41 minutes ago, celt said:

This the second time today that I have agreed with everything Keith has said[I must be ill]🙂.Well tidy mun.:clap2:

Glad you agree @celt !!

45 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

The F-86 is one of my all time Favorite jets. Really like to see them in any Livery. :worthy:

Well watch this space. I have an Airfix F-86 just starting (will do a WIP for that) and then in the stash, one more Airfix, two Fujimi F-86F's, two Hasegawa F-86D's and one Special Hobby F-86K. I also have been given by a friend, a Revell F-86D as he is trying to "upscale" me!

I just love building them

Terry

• Like 1

Very smart Terry, great to see how well the Tasman conversion can come up with skilled modelling, not sure where I'll find any of that though. :) Interesting to see it against the -H, it looks so bulky, even against the CAC Sabre.

Steve.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Very smart Terry, great to see how well the Tasman conversion can come up with skilled modelling, not sure where I'll find any of that though. :) Interesting to see it against the -H, it looks so bulky, even against the CAC Sabre.

Steve.

Thanks Steve. I have another Tasman conversion and plenty of spare F-86 kits, so will attempt another at some point, doing a regular service machine belonging to one of the RAAF front line units. Yes, the H is certainly a very bulky machine!

Cheers

Terry

• Like 1

Super build!

I believe some pilots call it the "hotrod" of the Sabre family.

Certainly an excellent scale rendition you have done there.

:clap:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Two lovely silver swords Terry, great work on both! The H looks massive in that first head to head shot!

Cracking little jets!

Keith

With good reason! IIRC, the F-86H fuselage was 6" deeper, from nose to tail, as the J-73 was a larger engine and needed more air, thus the deeper intake. I think it was two feet longer and a little wider, as well. Not sure if those figures are exact, but if Sabrejet sees this, he can enlighten us. BTW Terry- your Avon Sabre is the bee's knees!

Mike

• Like 2

Lovely work and great choice of scheme, they look really good together.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ArmouredSprue said:

Very nice mate. Well done!

Thank you Paulo

8 hours ago, Mr B said:

lovely finish n a great scheme

Cheers Mr B, glad you like the scheme. Wanted to do something a bit unusual!

4 hours ago, kapam said:

Super build!

I believe some pilots call it the "hotrod" of the Sabre family.

Certainly an excellent scale rendition you have done there.

Thanks Kapam. Yes I'd heard it was quite something performance wise. It must have packed a punch as well with the Aden cannon!

3 hours ago, 72modeler said:

BTW Terry- your Avon Sabre is the bee's knees!

Thanks Mike, appreciate that.

1 hour ago, FAAMAN said:

Gotta love an Oz Sabre 😍 great work, nice finish 😎

Thank you FAAMAN!

It's also great that so many modellers from down under appreciate this one!

Cheers everyone.

Here's my constructive criticism as requested:  Absolutely beautiful! 

A great conversion and terrific natural metal and day-glo finish, both of which are never easy to apply convincingly.  I'd really like a CAC Sabre, along with a colourful natural metal RCAF Canadair (decals for which seem to be a rare as hen's teeth) and this has inspired me to build one.  Did you post a WIP thread for the build?  I'd like to check it to see if I have the moral fortitude to undertake a similar conversion!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

Here's my constructive criticism as requested:  Absolutely beautiful! 

A great conversion and terrific natural metal and day-glo finish, both of which are never easy to apply convincingly.  I'd really like a CAC Sabre, along with a colourful natural metal RCAF Canadair (decals for which seem to be a rare as hen's teeth) and this has inspired me to build one.  Did you post a WIP thread for the build?  I'd like to check it to see if I have the moral fortitude to undertake a similar conversion!

Thanks!

I did do a WIP thread which came a fair way through construction as I've only been posting here for a couple of months. The build was started quite a while back. It is mostly about the paint finish but there are some other shots also.

Its here, hope you enjoy!

Cheers

Terry

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

Thanks!

I did do a WIP thread which came a fair way through construction as I've only been posting here for a couple of months. The build was started quite a while back. It is mostly about the paint finish but there are some other shots also.

Its here, hope you enjoy!

Cheers

Terry

Great.  Thank you.  I shall read with interest. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 72modeler said:

With good reason! IIRC, the F-86H fuselage was 6" deeper, from nose to tail, as the J-73 was a larger engine and needed more air, thus the deeper intake. I think it was two feet longer and a little wider, as well. Not sure if those figures are exact, but if Sabrejet sees this, he can enlighten us. BTW Terry- your Avon Sabre is the bee's knees!

Mike

Yes, I knew the H was bigger (in real life) Mike, but Terry's great pic really showed it well. Sat alone the difference probably wouldn't be noticeable, nose to nose it certainly is!

Keith

• Like 1