Revell BAe Hawk T.1 - Red Arrows 1:72

Well done Mike, that looks great! I didn't even notice the different red dots in the roundels and the gloss red paint finish looks fantastic.

I really must get on with mine now. I think I broke my pitot housing off when trying to drill the hole in it as well.

Maybe you could use bubble wrap to post it. Carefully wrap it around the model and then put it in a cardboard box. That's just off the top of my head as I have not had to post a model yet.

Mark.

• Like 1

Cheers Mark, The gloss finish came part of the AS-49 paint, Just still a little disappointed with the canopy.

Looking forward to seeing your builds all done and finished :)

I can use some packing material from work to make sure it's safe and secure, with lots of FRAGILE tape over it.

Now onto the 1:48 Canberra build....that's a big bird too

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 2:21 PM, Mikey-1980 said:

Cheers Mark, The gloss finish came part of the AS-49 paint, Just still a little disappointed with the canopy.

Looking forward to seeing your builds all done and finished :)

I can use some packing material from work to make sure it's safe and secure, with lots of FRAGILE tape over it.

Now onto the 1:48 Canberra build....that's a big bird too

I find the canopy to be the most difficult part of a model to look tidy. There is very little room for mistakes on clear parts being transparent.

1:48 Canberra sounds good to me. Airfix I presume?

Mark.

It is indeed, the earl;y Airfix 1:48 PR.9 - I've started a thread with some research on XH168, a PR.9 that was stationed at RAF Wyton with 39 squadron when my dad was there in the early 70's.

Hi

Just read this, and ref the Red centre to the roundle the Red Arrows do not have a painted centre as such its the same colour as the airframe ie they just paint the white and blue and leave the centre as the colour of the airframe. this was the same on the Gnats as well , they used a diffrent red not the same as the Hawks.

Hope this helps i know a little late now but might help others.

Paul

• 2 years later...
On 6/5/2018 at 1:27 AM, Mikey-1980 said:

Small update.......

the paint issue on the side has been rectified....gentle sand and clean then a reapplication of TS-49 has done the trick.........however.....

During the sanding process I accidentally caught the re-fueling probe and snapped clean in 2......to then be devoured by the arch nemesis....the carpet monster.....almost an hour on my knees with a head torch with no luck...so any suggestions or tips on how to fashion one would be a great help.

Also, it would seem that the masking tape I was using is substandard as the paint had seeped through onto the acrylic canopy. So I took a punt and used some acetone free nail polish remover with some cotton buds to gently clean up the excess paint. seems to have done the job but on the top of the canopy it has left a slight red haze.

Tried to take a pic, but I couldn't get it focus.

This build is fighting me at every step......

Heres a tidbit for next time you lose a piece in that carpet sea.

This really only works if you have an idea that it landed somewhere close to your work space and not heard ricocheting somewhere.

Take an old nylon legging and fit it over the end of a vaccuum hose and slowly sweep the carpet around your workspace.

The super fine nylon stocking mesh will catch those lost bits.

Happy Modelling.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2018 at 1:27 AM, Mikey-1980 said:

Small update.......

the paint issue on the side has been rectified....gentle sand and clean then a reapplication of TS-49 has done the trick.........however.....

During the sanding process I accidentally caught the re-fueling probe and snapped clean in 2......to then be devoured by the arch nemesis....the carpet monster.....almost an hour on my knees with a head torch with no luck...so any suggestions or tips on how to fashion one would be a great help.

Also, it would seem that the masking tape I was using is substandard as the paint had seeped through onto the acrylic canopy. So I took a punt and used some acetone free nail polish remover with some cotton buds to gently clean up the excess paint. seems to have done the job but on the top of the canopy it has left a slight red haze.

Tried to take a pic, but I couldn't get it focus.

This build is fighting me at every step......

Heres a tidbit for next time you lose a piece in that carpet sea.

This really only works if you have an idea that it landed somewhere close to your work space and not heard ricocheting somewhere.

Take an old nylon legging and fit it over the end of a vaccuum hose and slowly sweep the carpet around your workspace.

The super fine nylon stocking mesh will catch those lost bits.

Happy Modelling.

I found this thread while looking for builds of this kit.

I like to always go see how others have tackled a kit to help inspire me or find help for a build issue.

I read this all the way through and have to agree that MAN those seats are engineered quite a hassle to put together.

As for the det cord issue...I hadnt even opened the clear parts bag yet, but when i read the comments I thought I might try to figure out something for a nice crisp clean execution.

I wanted to come back to tell you it worked but hit a snag.

Here was the plan.

Awhile back I bought a couple of those colored pencils that you find in the beauty cosmetic section at stores.

I bought them in white and silver.

Theyre not those thicker type oil stick makeup pencils.

Theyre like regular really fine point pencils but i think the stuff is like an oil based or wax type medium.

I use them for being able to apply super fine lines.

You work slow and methodic with light pressure and you get a nice crisp line or dot.

I use them for buttons and things on consoles.

They make nice crisp dots etc if you keep them sharp. 

BUT....of course I managed to put them in a place I wont find them again for a year. 

Anyhoo...thats also an option. 

• Like 1

Heya Cory,

Glad my little build thread has inspired you :) Have you started a build thread on here yet?

I found another great little tip that may help you too, if you go to your local arts and crafts store, you can pick up some water paint pencils. sharpen them to a point and dip them into a little water, dab off any excess and you can use the pencil paint for some extra fine details. The det cords as well perhaps?

They're also really good for weathering too, especially the oily bits :)

From my understanding, they are very similar to the AMMO MiG pencil sets but a fraction of the cost.

• Like 1