Revell BAe Hawk T.1 - Red Arrows 1:72

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 8:59 AM, Mikey-1980 said:

When it snapped I did make a similar sound of a shocked Deadpool or 12 year old girl......my other half thought I'd hurt myself haha!! 

Nope....just snapped my probe! haha!

deadpoolshocked.jpg

DOH!

Even though I have yet to see Deadpool I think I still have a pretty good idea what the probe snapping incident sounded like.

Yesterday I managed to spray some primer on a few bits of my Hawk, like undercarriage legs and doors and the tailplanes (I left mine detached) etc. I used my airbrush with some white UMP primer. I put plenty on but my parts are rather pink tinged because of the red plastic. I'm doing the white, red and grey scheme of the early RAF trainers, so it really needs to be white not pink.

Be careful when your brass probe arrives, they are quite sharp!

Hopefully the probe will arrive today, I do need to get this build finished ASAP, I have kits to build !! haha!

Not sure what though yet?

Plenty in the stash.

I can understand why Revell used a red polymer for the sprues, but its an absolute bottom to paint....hey ho!

Interesting paint scheme, and l looking forward to seeing the results. :)

50 minutes ago, Mikey-1980 said:

Mr Postman delivered the Pitot tube today...and it is tiny!!

42731801381_1fb781feb0_c.jpgDSC_1318

for scale comparison

42014356434_154e1e991d_c.jpgDSC_1319

I think I will leave the install near to the end of the build so I don't snap and lose this one

They are all packaging aren't they. I have know idea how they make them that tiny, they must use a really small lathe. I usually glue them in at the end of the build then paint them in place if needed. Then handle with care!

• Like 1

Just now, Mikey-1980 said:

That is my exact thinking...

BTW....loving your Cuban Sea Fury build....outstanding paint job on it so far :)

I wish that was my Sea Fury, unfortunately mine is still in its box untouched. That's Tim's (tank152) build, I agree though the paint finish is great. He hasn't posted any progress in a while so I hope things are still going well with it.

I have yet to post a build on this forum but I may post my Hawk in the "ready for inspection" section when finished.

1 hour ago, Mikey-1980 said:

Ahh, DOH, sorry Mark... I thought it wasyour build...apologies.

Looking forward to seeing your work though.

No worries, easily done when posts are quoted they can look like that persons post.

I did some more white primer today, this time on the main airframe. So now I have a patchy pink Hawk to go with the undercarriage doors and wheels.

7 hours ago, Mikey-1980 said:

Stick with it, it will sort itself :)

Post a pic if you can?

Here you go.

I gave it another coat of white primer so its not as pink as It was. But you can just about see the red plastic bleeding through in places. I need to give it a light sand just to smooth out some rough areas. Also a bit of filling of some seams that looked good before primer but now don't look as good.

42727058802_3fdf19a3f3_b.jpg

• Like 3

Looking superb so far there!

Great job with the build so far as well. can hardly see any of the seem lines too, an issue I really struggle with.

I think she's just about ready for some bright red paint now too, I don't think the pinking will effect the top coat at all.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mikey-1980 said:

Looking superb so far there!

Great job with the build so far as well. can hardly see any of the seem lines too, an issue I really struggle with.

I think she's just about ready for some bright red paint now too, I don't think the pinking will effect the top coat at all.

Thanks Mike.

Regarding the seems, they are mostly on the underside and the wing roots. Mostly tiny holes in the filler than need filling.

I think the red and the grey will go fine on top of the slightly pink primer as it is, but I need the upper fuselage to be white so I will paint some white on top in that area.

Mark.

Sounds all good to me there!

I started the decaling last night. The tail details and the Union Flag is a bit unusual in that it really hangs over the edge alot.

letting it dry before a small trim.

The battle continues with this build....and it's getting personal now I think?

Firstly the decals are not quite cut correctly to position a seamless markings, so they need to be trimmed slightly around the tail.

Secondly, the "arrow" markings on the underside have to be cut / modified significantly in order to make them fit. its not perfect. but it will do.

The only other options would be to paint the under wing fins, apply the decal and then fit the fins over the top.

41961317605_cbdc984f0b_c.jpgDSC_1321

What I have had to do once fitted was to cut the decal in the best possible way I could, then paint over the areas that were effected. seems to have worked ok?

27993360177_a3d2a14dc4_c.jpgDSC_1323

41962032045_3e404c0232_c.jpgDSC_1326

Then the unthinkable happens.....just as I was placing on the final red dot for the wing roundel......it folds on me.....not only does it fold, it refuses to unfold, and distorts, and folds again.....irreparable now.....

So it now looks like this...

42861796991_78c3a4c3f4_c.jpgDSC_1325

I am at a loss as to how to rectify this....If anyone has a spare 1:72 scale RAF roundel red dot, you would be my savior!!

Any help / advise on this would be a huge help!

• Like 1

Pity on an otherwise nice work with the decals! I hope you can get it sorted! 

Håkan

30 minutes ago, Mikey-1980 said:

Cheers,

I'm going to see if I can raid my dads stash...see if he may have anything that would suit.,

I'm just catching up on this thread, been a bit distracted by the World Cup.

Always tricky those Red Arrows markings, but you've managed to complete the challenge pretty well. Its a real shame about that red dot in the roundel. Sourcing a replacement may be the best option, either from another kit or maybe you could contact Revell spares department (they are normally very good). Another option world be to paint it, tricky I know. But if you could cut a circle mask from some Tamiya tape, remove some of the tack on the back of your hand so as not to lift the decal that's already there, risky but maybe doable. I would send you mine but I am planning on using them on a possible future build, maybe someone else has some spare?

Microscale sell a product called liquid decal film that according to the instructions on the bottle can be used to make your own decals. If I remember correctly you can brush some on a bit of spare decal sheet (an area without decals or carrier film). This acts as the carrier film (the adhesive is already in the paper) so you can then paint some red on top. Once dry cut out a circle the correct size and use just as a normal decal. I haven't tried this myself.

Its annoying because it looks such a simple thing to replace, after all its just a small red circle. But the small things are often the hardest to fix.

Good luck, I hope it works out whatever strategy you use.

Mark.

• Like 1

Hi Mark,

That's really great of you, thank you for the offer, I do appreciate the tips you're kindly giving. Hope you're enjoying the world cup?

Currently working from home on a break and watching the Sweden - S.Korea game.....bit dirty :)

Thankfully I have managed to find a red dot, salvaged from an old Airfix 1:72 Lightning kit from about 10 years ago?

42828229872_ccb7d93d3a_c.jpgDSC_1327

Should hopefully do the trick, I may need to remove the starboard red dot to make sure the colours match. 

BTW, the ship behind the decals is the USS Rhode Island, part of the Star Trek Star Ships collection....if you were wondering?

Mike

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 2:32 PM, Mikey-1980 said:

Hi Mark,

That's really great of you, thank you for the offer, I do appreciate the tips you're kindly giving. Hope you're enjoying the world cup?

Currently working from home on a break and watching the Sweden - S.Korea game.....bit dirty :)

Thankfully I have managed to find a red dot, salvaged from an old Airfix 1:72 Lightning kit from about 10 years ago?

Should hopefully do the trick, I may need to remove the starboard red dot to make sure the colours match. 

BTW, the ship behind the decals is the USS Rhode Island, part of the Star Trek Star Ships collection....if you were wondering?

Mike

Hi Mike,

I am enjoying the World Cup, some games more exciting than others. The VAR adds an extra element to the excitement.

That's great you managed to find some replacement dots. That's why its always good to keep the leftover decals from previous kits.

Regarding the Star Trek ship, I'm afraid I have never watched Star Trek. Star Wars is more my thing although I haven't been keeping up with all the latest films.

9 hours ago, Mikey-1980 said:

Interesting show profiling the Red Arrows

I remember watching that when it was first on TV. As I seem to remember each episode covered a different part of the RAF. Interesting programme with some good aircraft footage.

Mark.

It's proven to be quite helpful with weathering, especially the exhaust port on top of the fuselage. 

The replacement red dots were slightly smaller and darker than the ones provided, but with a re-soak and some gently persuasion, both roundels now have the same size red dot, just a little smaller.

More to follow when I get a change to finish the decaling and weathering.

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 8:39 AM, Mikey-1980 said:

It's proven to be quite helpful with weathering, especially the exhaust port on top of the fuselage. 

The replacement red dots were slightly smaller and darker than the ones provided, but with a re-soak and some gently persuasion, both roundels now have the same size red dot, just a little smaller.

More to follow when I get a change to finish the decaling and weathering.

Well saved! 

• Like 1

Decalling finally done and I am calling this one 99.9% done now!

It still fought me to the bitter end....as I was carefully drilling out the pitot tube housing for the new brass part, it came clean off, but just managed to sort it.

42250671664_df4ff6950b_c.jpgDSC_1335

Not too bad here, pre paint.

41159057520_ab0cbed06d_c.jpgDSC_1338

Managed  slight touch of weathering for the engine start up port

29096864798_01a3155740_c.jpgDSC_1340

Only issue I have is that the pitot tube would not sit properly when gluing it back into place. It's a little wonky 😕

42067670915_132f798587_c.jpgDSC_1341

Underneath..

42969368651_1dfd1fe3cb_c.jpgDSC_1342

A few fancy shots using the only thing I could find that would show off the Hawk.....my trust bottle opener / croc grip mounting point haha!!

41159053440_7c0d4fca3a_c.jpgDSC_1343

42067661815_d38dce4dfb_c.jpgDSC_1344

42067662305_590fbec673_c.jpgDSC_1345

Hope you enjoyed the build? Comments are always welcomed...

Now to figure out how to post it to my friend with out it getting damaged......

Edited by Mikey-1980
  • Like 1