1/72 Spitfire, Hurricane and Sea Hurricane

Well Prof, we live and learn... been there, done that :D 

The Hurri looks very nice... might I suggest some pastel on the bright white decals? I use yellowey brown mix just to dirty them up a bit. Or a very thin paint wash. They do draw the eye away from a great model.

The Sea Hurri decals look like a nightmare. Silvering is a thorn in my side and some say a gloss coat before the decals helps. Sometimes. You could try poking pin holes in the carrier and soaking it in Klear, or just carefully cutting it off. Don't forget the landing lights.

The Spit looks nice (when not next to the Hurri!). If you used an acrylic varnish then I've had great success poking it off canopies with a damp Tamiya pointy cotton bud.

HTH. Great triple.

Looking forward to the next WiP :D 

• Thanks 1

Hi All

Thanks guys, TBH these were just thrown together for something to spray my new favourite paints onto :)

I didn't hold out much hope for the decals (with those from the Sea Hurricane dating back to 1967!), and the newer ones I know I can get decent with Micro Sol from the "100 Years" saga, so I'm not going to press on with them.

I'm most pleased with the underside of the Spitfire, the line where the black wing meets the Sky, very satisfying.

At school we did a term of metalwork, and the only thing we made was a strip of tin, 2"x6" with a right angle bend at one end, flattened over edges, with another 2"x2" soldered onto the middle with it's top edge folded round a piece of wire.

The sole purpose of this construction was to demonstrate that we could do these techniques, the finished piece having no other use whatsoever.

I'm doing these WIPs in that sort of vein, practicing a progression of basic skills on cheap old kits before committing to ones I really want to do well.

It's going to be an adventure.

Comments and suggestions welcome

Cheers

Steve

• Like 2

Fair point Steve... every build adds extra strings to your bow :) 

(What a silly phrase... Who wants a bow with multiple strings? Violinists? Oh, perhaps that's it, I was thinking Archers. Now you're singing 'Dum te dum te dum te dum', sorry...)

• Haha 1