AZ Model / OZ Models 1/48 Vultee Vengeance

Hi everyone,

This is my next project, a build for a client, the Vultee Vengeance kit from AZ Model, with the addition of the OZ Models correction set. To be accurate, it should be the other way around, since the correction set is almost 75% of the build as the only parts I will be using from the AZ Model kit are the wings, gear trains and decals. Will also use the PE set and masks from AZ Model. It will be an ambitious project for me because it´s the first time I will be building a model with such an extensive correction set. This correction set is more accurate as expected, but has some fit problems and misaligned panel lines that I still have to figure out how to correct without erasing a lot of details. Lets see how it goes. I will be building the Mk. Ia version with Foliage Green/Dark Earth camo and white tail. Here are some pics of both kit and correction set contents.

Cheers,

Bruno

40957714895_669a7fa331_b.jpg

41856470151_6cf9eeb791_b.jpg

27987895698_8c428b79df_b.jpg

27987897838_2560b7b744_b.jpg

41139318314_d3fd62353b_b.jpg

41139316834_0f9f8350bc_b.jpg

27987898778_9122833953_b.jpg

41139315364_9f86cdff36_b.jpg

26988232347_32534f452a_b.jpg

41139313644_1d4b9918ee_b.jpg

26988231027_d7c22fe0f7_b.jpg

Edited by dreamwriter
  • Like 7

8 hours ago, Sturmovik said:

How are you going to handle the wings if they don´t have connecting tabs?

Unlike the kit fuselage parts that are completely flat in the wing join area,the correction set fuselage has 2 little stabs that give at least some fixation point for the wings.But there are worst things in both kit and correction parts.

• Like 1

Interesting kit, not an aircraft I have heard of before. It does look like you have your work cut out with this one, it will be interesting to see how it progresses.

• Like 1

Caught this thread yesterday and watching with interest. I built an R/C 1/6 scale Vengeance back in 2000, simply because of the unusual wing plan form. There's an excellent book about the Vengeance by Peter C. Smith if I remember correctly. A very interesting read about the type and the problems it suffered, which were for the most part, not the fault of the aircraft.

Here's my R/C version, built with very little reference material to work from. It's such a rare aircraft, there's little about it on the net or in books.

a35_033.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 3

Don't tell @corsaircorp but I have this kit laid down for a Royal Navy target tug conversion. If he finds out he will bring up all that rot about me starting a Target Towing SIG again.

Anyway, I am looking forward to seeing how you progress with this build. Following.

Martian 👽

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

Don't tell @corsaircorp but I have this kit laid down for a Royal Navy target tug conversion. If he finds out he will bring up all that rot about me starting a Target Towing SIG again.

Anyway, I am looking forward to seeing how you progress with this build. Following.

Martian 👽

Punked !!

I know now ! A TT Good good Dear tentacled one !

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, dreamwriter said:

Unlike the kit fuselage parts that are completely flat in the wing join area,the correction set fuselage has 2 little stabs that give at least some fixation point for the wings.But there are worst things in both kit and correction parts.

Hello DM,

I got the same with the same conversion kit ! Good job ! And best of luck, I'll follow if you don't mind it !!

Glad that our dear ETTTI is amongst us

Extra Terrestrial Target Tug Intelligence !

I will stay at the bar in the nasty corner... As usual !

CC

• Like 2

1 minute ago, corsaircorp said:

I will stay at the bar in the nasty corner... As usual !

CC

Its naughty corner CC but either way you won't be out of it by Telford 2019!

Martian 👽

• Haha 1

Sure I'll be there and Pierre too !

That let you a mere 2 years of training for the next BB....Challenge ?

Aned the grand opening of the Target towing SiG....

:rofl2:

CC

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Army_Air_Force said:

Caught this thread yesterday and watching with interest. I built an R/C 1/6 scale Vengeance back in 2000, simply because of the unusual wing plan form. There's an excellent book about the Vengeance by Peter C. Smith if I remember correctly. A very interesting read about the type and the problems it suffered, which were for the most part, not the fault of the aircraft.

Here's my R/C version, built with very little reference material to work from. It's such a rare aircraft, there's little about it on the net or in books.

a35_033.jpg

Very nice Vengeance Stephen. And thanks for the book reference. I already have the pdf to help on the build!

4 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Found some good stuff of what appears to be NAVY870's Vengeance here:  

http://www.aussiemodeller.com.au/pages/History/Aircraft/Lang_VengeanceP2.html

Martian👽

Thanks for the comments and the link!

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, NAVY870 said:

Looks like Dad didn't get a mention again

Sorry, I didn't realise I was putting my foot in it.

Martian 👽

2 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Sorry, I didn't realise I was putting my foot in it.

Martian 👽

Not a drama at all Martian me old son 😉

I did mention it in a electric telephone conversation to which I received an answer of "Oh" and a short awkward silence.

I may or may not have made her sweat that one for a bit 😎

• Like 2

12 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

Not a drama at all Martian me old son 😉

I did mention it in a electric telephone conversation to which I received an answer of "Oh" and a short awkward silence.

I may or may not have made her sweat that one for a bit 😎

I can easily fix that if you want.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 8:36 PM, NAVY870 said:

I'm sure I've got some references for these things banging round the shed somewhere.

RT4Kn7f.jpg

LOL!

On 5/3/2018 at 11:06 PM, NAVY870 said:

I'm sure I've got some references for these things banging round the shed somewhere.

RT4Kn7f.jpg

I recall clambering over that beast in the 80s,surprisingly high up standing on the wing, and being amazed at the bomb bay door bungy cord system!.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone,

Finally got the time to get the Vengeance underway.The cockpit from the conversion set is way better than the kit´s parts, but on the other hand, the fit is awful and needs  lot of cleanup. The cockpit floor for example is not wide enough to fit between the two fuselage halves, and I needed to add evergreen plastic. And the AZ PE set is not suited to the conversion set so, more work needed. Did the best I can and it didn´t turn out too bad.Next some matt varnish and then will close the fuselage. Hope you guys like it.

Cheers,

Bruno

43370340851_ef2cec28e0_b.jpg

43321774412_fae6ca4ef9_b.jpg

41561504950_ceea753112_b.jpg

43321772682_e5e290760c_b.jpg

41561503110_eeb12a9698_b.jpg

43321771782_1fb491f14c_b.jpg

42653677064_25845cefcd_b.jpg

43321770632_19c39533e4_b.jpg

42653676004_2a5ccc008d_b.jpg

43321768932_ba1afbee11_b.jpg