Wasp & Scout Falklands Livery

LaurieS

Building both Wasp and Scout.

Any help on the colours camouflage when they were in the Falklands received with great thanks.

Also general colour of the inside of the cockpit.

Hi Laurie,

the colours of the Wasp and Scout didn't change for the conflict, with the wasp remaining blue and the scout green and black.  The only changes were the toning down of the markings. 

scout_800.jpg

I believe all the front-line warships had the Lynx by then and so the Wasps were only allocated to second line ships in the medevac role.  These had a red cross on a white square applied on the nose and sides.

wasps_aboard_hms_hydra.jpg

Mike

• Like 3

Two Wasps, based on HMS Endurance, were repainted in a striped scheme of black, green (could have been BS 298) and dark admiralty grey. These aircrafts later also received some white. The two were XS527 and XS539. Roundels were red/blue and Royal Navy titles in white. There is one Wasp on the airshow circuit wearing this scheme, but not accurate

All other Wasps retained the overall RAF Blue Grey scheme (BS 633), some with the addition of white rectangles and red crosses as shown in Mike's picture. Others just had their roundels modified to eliminate the white portion and the RN titles repainted in black

Scouts were in black and green BS 298, red/blue roundels and black Army titles.

Cockpit for both was grey, I believe it was Dark Admiralty Grey but I'm happy to be corrected if wrong

4 hours ago, bootneck said:

Hi Laurie,

the colours of the Wasp and Scout didn't change for the conflict, with the wasp remaining blue and the scout green and black.  The only changes were the toning down of the markings. 

scout_800.jpg

I believe all the front-line warships had the Lynx by then and so the Wasps were only allocated to second line ships in the medevac role.  These had a red cross on a white square applied on the nose and sides.

wasps_aboard_hms_hydra.jpg

Mike

During the  Falklands war  at South Georgia A Wasp was  launched from HMS Plymouth and two Wasps launched from HMS Endurance, They fired AS.12 missiles at the submarine, scoring hits. Santa Fe was damaged badly enough to prevent her from submerging. The crew abandoned the submarine at the jetty on South Georgia and surrendered to the British forces, thus becoming the first casualty of the sea war, as well as the first direct engagement by the Royal Navy Task Force.

These would of course not have had red cross markings on them.

Selwyn

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bootneck said:

Hi Laurie,

Mike

Thanks Mike great info.

4 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Two Wasps, based on HMS Endurance, were repainted in a striped scheme of black, green (could have been BS 298) and dark admiralty grey. These aircrafts later also received some white. The two were XS527 and XS539. Roundels were red/blue and Royal Navy titles in white. There is one Wasp on the airshow circuit wearing this scheme, but not accurate

All other Wasps retained the overall RAF Blue Grey scheme (BS 633), some with the addition of white rectangles and red crosses as shown in Mike's picture. Others just had their roundels modified to eliminate the white portion and the RN titles repainted in black Scouts were in black and green BS 298, red/blue roundels and black Army titles.

Cockpit for both was grey, I believe it was Dark Admiralty Grey but I'm happy to be corrected if wrong

Thanks for your info very much appreciated.

1 hour ago, Selwyn said:

During the  Falklands war  at South Georgia A Wasp was  launched from HMS Plymouth and two Wasps launched from HMS Endurance, They fired AS.12 missiles at the submarine, scoring hits. Santa Fe was damaged badly enough to prevent her from submerging. The crew abandoned the submarine at the jetty on South Georgia and surrendered to the British forces, thus becoming the first casualty of the sea war, as well as the first direct engagement by the Royal Navy Task Force. These would of course not have had red cross markings on them. Selwyn

Thanks Selwyn. Just read a book by Special Forces Pilot  Richard Hutchings. Apparently, there was some annoyance that the Wessex had

all under control then Barker on Endurance without orders from the Commander in charge launched the Wasp. Seems that Barker got a

flea (or was it a Wasp) in his ear after.

5 hours ago, bootneck said:

Hi Laurie,

Mike

Thanks, Mike for the information. All great stuff.

Laurie

I had a quick look at the Scout AP in the archive at Middle Wallop today. The interior is a mid grey and there were three camouflage schemes (all dated 1985), the original dark green / dark earth and two variations of black /dark-green. I can revisit the archive with a scanner if needed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Francis Macnaughton said:

I posted a shot of Endurance Wasp from early July 82 at Grytviken here:

56 minutes ago, Aeronut said:

I had a quick look at the Scout AP in the archive at Middle Wallop today. The interior is a mid grey and there were three camouflage schemes (all dated 1985), the original dark green / dark earth and two variations of black /dark-green. I can revisit the archive with a scanner if needed. 

Thanks to you both. That is great inf. much appreciated.

Laurie

• 4 weeks later...

All you need for any Scout or Wasp model is in my new Warpaint book.  During the Falklands War HMS Endurance's Wasp wore a pale blue-grey camouflage over its regular blue scheme, as per the Wasp that currently flies in these colours.